XF Forum banner

Your Advice on Used XF 3L Petrol X260

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  peteraby 
Hi All,
Considering buying an X260 XF 3.0 Petrol Supercharged. Seems the best drivetrain to go for as a cruiser and I'm not keen on buying another diesel. Looking for minimal trouble motoring and hear most X260 issues are electrical. Can you share your experience on what do I need to look out for when buying? Are these cars reliable? Would you buy one for your spouse?

In particular wanted to hear feedback on...
Reliability - How reliable is this car in general? I want something which just works without too many hassles. Last thing I want is to be stranded in the middle of nowhere or the car doesn't start after being in an airport carpark for two weeks, breakdown etc.

XF Battery - Do you have electrical problems where the root cause is the battery? I've seen threads where the battery (less than one year new) drains low and the solution to charge/replace it. If you are charging - how frequently do you do it and for how long - Every night/overnight?
I only have on street parking so connecting to charge battery overnight is not an option (I want to buy 3L petrol not an ev)!

Sunroof issues - Leaking or mechanism replacement a common issue?

Electric windows - Squealing windows on close. Is this common or expensive to fix?

Reverse camera - I've read camera image can deteriorate over time with the image fogged up on infotainment. Assuming its the camera and not the infotainment screen, how easy is reverse camera replacement?

Any other things to consider when buying used.

Many thanks!
...and hopefully I've posted in the right area.
Hello Paul, welcome to the Forum.

I've had an X260 2l diesel (180bhp version) since December 2015. So, six years, 24000 miles.

First - it has been ultra reliable. I've used it mostly to chauffeur my two youngish children to school, with the occasional long journey between NW England and London, etc. This should be hard on the battery, but I only replaced it last August as a precaution for imminent winter motoring (I never charged it between driving, but the sign of a failing battery is the non-functioning of the auto stop/start). At the same time I had the brake disks and pads replaced all-round. The only other significant outlay was replacement of the A/C condenser last May.

I've not experienced any faults with the windows or rear-view camera, but the electric sun-roof failed 7 months after purchase. This required a replacement of the mesh rider (under warranty), blamed by the dealer on the German manufacturer!

I hope this is of some help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.