XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in today to have the sticking filler cap repaired. I had to smile when the service lady handed me the keys of an XF courtesy car and commented, “You will need to put some fuel in at as the guy yesterday couldn’t get the filler cap open, it’s the same as yours, but if you press around at the bottom you should be able to get it open”……………what a classic!!

Jaguar if you are reading this try to learn a lesson in customer service and PR, don’t give out a courtesy that is: A - Running on fumes and B – has a broken filler cap!....Donkeys!

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ Haha...some irony in that post.

All my many courtesy cars have been running on fumes and i've had to fill them up pretty much immediately after I drive out. They should make a rule to bring them back with a minimum of a quarter of a tank or something similar so the customer can fill up on the way back to the dealership rather than first thing in the morning when time is of the essence.

Anyway, my 'lubed up' fuel filler flap is still opening with a bit of persuasion. I hope it lasts a few more weeks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The dealership I use, the courtesy cars are always clean and a full tank of fuel, which surprised me, as in past experience I have had to fill up pronto
On the fuel flap, would not open once, so I gave it a quick spray of lubticant onto catch works wonders no problems since.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Neilson111 said:
The dealership I use, the courtesy cars are always clean and a full tank of fuel, which surprised me, as in past experience I have had to fill up pronto
On the fuel flap, would not open once, so I gave it a quick spray of lubticant onto catch works wonders no problems since.
What did you use - WD40? Only had the problem once but a bit of preventative might be on the cards

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
rclifford said:
I took my car in today to have the sticking filler cap repaired. I had to smile when the service lady handed me the keys of an XF courtesy car and commented, “You will need to put some fuel in at as the guy yesterday couldn’t get the filler cap open, it’s the same as yours, but if you press around at the bottom you should be able to get it open”……………what a classic!!

Jaguar if you are reading this try to learn a lesson in customer service and PR, don’t give out a courtesy that is: A - Running on fumes and B – has a broken filler cap!....Donkeys![/quote]

I doubt that Jaguar need to take any lessons from you. It would be far better that you address your remarks in a note to the Principal or Service Manager of the Jaguar dealership from whom you received the courtesy car and the odd advice. If you wish to improve the service from the dealer you selected to look after your car then a starting point is to tell them you are not happy. In my experience comments will be noted and acted upon.
However, If you remain unsatisfied; find another dealer to give your money to.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
Neilson111 said:
What did you use - WD40? Only had the problem once but a bit of preventative might be on the cards

DON'T use WD 40, it goes guey after a while. Use a silicon spray, which can also be used to lubricate door seal rubbers and stops them sticking during freezing conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi;

While in Stratstone Aberdeen today, i spoke to one of the sales team about the filler cap issue as well as other issues i have read about on this forum. His response was that they are aware of it and it is being caused by the driver pushing the filler cap in the wrong place resulting in "wear to the grommets", i haven't seen the inside of the filler cap as i have not taken delivery of an XF yet but apparently the catch is halfway down the left side of the filler cap and about an inch in, if this is pressed correctly all will be well, any pressure above or below will result in "wear to the grommets". I hope this helps and i apologise if i am teaching anyone to suck eggs, just passing on what i was told.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Perhaps Jaguar should mark the exact place you have to press with a small 'X'! :roll:

Why can't they simply have a button on the dashboard to unlock and release the fuel filler cap? There's a button to open the boot (which I accidentally pressed whilst driving on the motorway as I was trying to swtich on my fog lights but luckily it didn't work!). A button to open the fuel filler flap (a la Audi, BMW and Merc) is hardly going to break the bank. Better still, have a button on the key fob.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Roma said:
Perhaps Jaguar should mark the exact place you have to press with a small 'X'! :roll:

Why can't they simply have a button on the dashboard to unlock and release the fuel filler cap? There's a button to open the boot (which I accidentally pressed whilst driving on the motorway as I was trying to swtich on my fog lights but luckily it didn't work!). A button to open the fuel filler flap (a la Audi, BMW and Merc) is hardly going to break the bank. Better still, have a button on the key fob.
Nothing to do with luck; all to do with design. Your boot will not open when in motion :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I do think the fuel flap design (same as the late S-type) is a bit of a fudge simply to avoid one more button in the cabin.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Roma said:

The XK that I had before my XF had such a button but had the same problem. It had to go back to the dealer 3 times before they magaed to find a permanent fix. The problem has to be in the catch design and I had hoped that they would have resolved this issue after it was clearly a known fault with the XK.
I too was warned that it is important to 'press in the right place' when I took delivery but I have only needed to fill up 3 times since taking delivery and i found that it makes no difference at all. I dont think the grommets could be worn in such a short space of time. However I put some silicone lubricant on the catch at the weekend and that seems to have markedly improved the operation.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Perhaps Jag should throw in a free toolkit, some WD40 and a can of silicone lubricant for all new owners so that we can complete the PDI and QA for them? ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
It is about time that JLR dealt with these long running quality issues such as the sat nav, filler flaps,door seals,brake discs,seat belts etc on their so called flagship car before customers realise that nothing has changed and we are back to the bad old days again and the Germans got a foothold in the market.
I have written to JLR customer services again today asking for a response from them on my sat nav issues and when the problems are going to be resolved as they have not followed up my original complaint from August.They cannot hide behind the excuse much longer "that the engineers are aware of the problems"and they will be dealing them.
Does anybody out there agree with me and if so please put some pressure on JLR customer services which may help us all to enjoy our Cars free of the quality issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts