XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, just thought that i shoud share this little gem with you, well i think it is, i havent read the handbook from cover to cover so this may not be a bonus to all if it is in there. when you stop or park the car and press the 'stop' button to turn it all off the gear selector will automatically go into P (park), i have alos noticed that you can apply the electromechanical handbrake for a limited time after you have switched off.
give it a try, works for me. Happy drivein :cool:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,498 Posts
v6arj said:
hello all, just thought that i shoud share this little gem with you, well i think it is, i havent read the handbook from cover to cover so this may not be a bonus to all if it is in there. when you stop or park the car and press the 'stop' button to turn it all off the gear selector will automatically go into P (park), i have alos noticed that you can apply the electromechanical handbrake for a limited time after you have switched off.
give it a try, works for me. Happy drivein :cool:
In the manual it is stated that the return to park feature is present. Can't really understand what you are saying in relation to the brake. When the engine is off the brake is on, surely :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the handbrake is only on when you swith it on, if you dont engage it it stays off.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,498 Posts
v6arj said:
the handbrake is only on when you swith it on, if you dont engage it it stays off.
I am still confused a little :?
When the gear selector is in the P position, which it will always be if the engine is off, isn't the car then braked :?:
Have I missed your point totally or are we talking about something quite different :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
v6arj said:
the handbrake is only on when you swith it on, if you dont engage it it stays off.
I am still confused a little :?
When the gear selector is in the P position, which it will always be if the engine is off, isn't the car then braked :?:
Have I missed your point totally or are we talking about something quite different :?:
The gearbox/engine is the brake if the parking brake has not be selected on.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,498 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
v6arj said:
the handbrake is only on when you swith it on, if you dont engage it it stays off.
I am still confused a little :?
When the gear selector is in the P position, which it will always be if the engine is off, isn't the car then braked :?:
Have I missed your point totally or are we talking about something quite different :?:
The gearbox/engine is the brake if the parking brake has not be selected on.
We live and learn :lol:
I have since realised that I habitually do as is instructed in the manual; apply EPB when stopping. Thing is, I do it automatically and as a consequence the note by v6arj threw me because I kept thinking that it was a benefit which I was missing out on. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea to rely on the transmission as your parking brake! The stress isn't going to do it any good whatsoever, particularly if you are parked on a slope. I think it's better to use the handbrake.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,498 Posts
Roma said:
I wouldn't have thought it was a good idea to rely on the transmission as your parking brake! The stress isn't going to do it any good whatsoever, particularly if you are parked on a slope. I think it's better to use the handbrake.
You are right; the manual actually says that it should be applied at all times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Yes it should be applied at all times. What confuses me though is why go to the bother of making the transmission return to P when you switch the engine off but not automatically engage the hand brake? :roll:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top