XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes launched their long awaited new E class range yesterday (13/6/09). Today I had the opportunity to test drive the E350 CDI sport (blue motion) for an hour (unaccompianed). So whats good compared to my XF?

1. Better supportive seats (prob just on sport model, but excellent lateral support on fast bends)
2. Fuel economy. Averaged 35MPG with new engine (12miles) fairly brisk drive on all class of roads over 55 miles
3. No turbo lag
4. Better feeling steering wheel (sport)

Whats not so good..

Kit level very basic, to get level of kit standard on XF is going to cost a lot
Still looks like 3 boxes albeit with some softer edges
Rear leg room fairly limited with 6ft driver (no change from old model)
Higher emmissions on this model = more road tax
Bloody awful foot(hand) brake do they never learn?

Mercedes are pitching this car at the executive car market as the outgoing model was, however I think they have missed the opportunity to bring out somethng reaqlly innovative. I don't think they will win many awards with this effort. It will sell well particularly the E250 which will inevitably end up as mini cabs sorry executive/private hire cars. Anyway thats my opinion lets see what BMW show up with in the new 5 series, Jaguar have thrown down the gauntlet lets see what Munich can produce, Audi haven't really made much effort with the A6 yet.

Discuss...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Andy, good report.
I considered waiting for the new Merc (having owned many of their models)
I'm still pleased I chose the Jag though.
I drove my wifes Mercedes at the weekend which just reiterated what a great car the XF is.
Totally agree about the parking brake. Bloody dangerous with a manual gearbox, even with an auto box, too much flapping with arms and legs to apply and release.
The simple press down on the button or the lazy option of flooring the gas (I confess to doing this mostly) to override is sooo much better

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect one of the motoring mags will pitch up with a head to head when the new 5 series is launched. I too was waiting to see what the new Merc was going to bring to th eparty but they have kept delaying the launch. Even now I don't think you will get delivery of the new Merc before November. No idea of date for the BMW..

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
BigAndy said:
I suspect one of the motoring mags will pitch up with a head to head when the new 5 series is launched. I too was waiting to see what the new Merc was going to bring to th eparty but they have kept delaying the launch. Even now I don't think you will get delivery of the new Merc before November. No idea of date for the BMW..
I don't think the new BMW funfer is due until 2011.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The new 5 is due early next year but as per their usual it wont be a revolution, it will be an evolution of the current model

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Jaguar XF 3.0D S vs BMW 535D will be in next week's Autocar!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must be sikick then (or dyslexic or just thick) :D .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts