XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is still around on this side of the forum?

Interested to hear if the exhaust on the 380PS can be tuned/adapted to have the same note as the F-Type. Its the same engine, what can be done?

·
Registered
405 Posts
If anyone is still around on this side of the forum?

Interested to hear if the exhaust on the 380PS can be tuned/adapted to have the same note as the F-Type. Its the same engine, what can be done?
Now that's a question that I would like answering too!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
me too, although mine is an earlier version that MY17 as it is MY16, but still the 380PS V6 s/c
Now that's a question that I would like answering too!!

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I can shed a little light on that. The short answer is no, without adding hardware. The F-type S has the exhaust valve control to make the sounds, in addition to the tuning for the overrun popping, etc.

It would probably be more practical, cheaper, and provide less of a warranty concern to simply do a cat back exhaust change to the XF 380S to achieve a good sound.

The normal 380 PS XF and F-Pace sounds very similar to the regular 340PS XF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So now I know not much can be done about the exhaust, do Spires offer a performance remap and if so what's the cost and what would I get in terms of power & torque across the rev range. What would be the effect on 0-60 and 50-70 acceleration and of course on fuel consumption (although the latter is less important unless it drops off really badly)

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
So now I know not much can be done about the exhaust, do Spires offer a performance remap and if so what's the cost and what would I get in terms of power & torque across the rev range. What would be the effect on 0-60 and 50-70 acceleration and of course on fuel consumption (although the latter is less important unless it drops off really badly)
The F Type exhaust does not affect power output. I don' t think the F Type uses an effective muffler bypass, it just makes more noise. Basically like punching a hole into the side of the muffler and then patching it with an electrically operated sealing door. There are active exhausts that modestly trade more noise got more power but not the Jaguar. It just burbles more. Actually I find the feature very annoying and juvenile given it does not deliver more performance. Corvettes are much, much worse though. Trading noise for power is not sophisticated engineering, anybody can do it. Getting more power without making more noise, that takes engineering skill and the engine makers have it all down cold. Not much room in the aftermarket for "free horsepower ". The Akrapovics of the exhaust aftermarket World are few and far between, with breathtaking price tags.

Given the specific power output of the 5.0 SVR is 115 PS/ litre the 127 PS/litre Jaguar is already getting out of the 3.0 seems pretty much it without getting into some driveability issues.

Remember that torque accelerates and horsepower just keeps you there. Compare the torque outputs of the 340 and the 380 and you will note the horsepower difference is mostly window dressing, not really accessible in daily driving. The small acceleration advantage this engine appears to give the F Type is illusory. The 380 PS version has a much shorter final drive ratio in its Torsen differential.

That differential no doubt is a bolt in fit to the XF S. Not if you have AWD though because the LSD effects of the Torsen and the lower axle ratio will give the transmission software kniptions.

For the money forget trying to stretch more power out of the engine (peak torque will be octane limited) just sink your dough into a nice Torsen diff with the lower ratio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts