XF Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my previous car I had a set of winter wheels and tires that were of smaller diameter and width. My Jaguar dealer tells me that the recommended Jaguar approach is just to break down the summer wheel and tire set and mount winter tires. Tire manufacturers say that this process over time damages the beading on the tire, increasing the risk of tire failure.

What do Scandinavians, Swiss and Canadians do?

Does Jaguar really not have a recommendation for a smaller winter wheel and tire set for the XFR?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have checked and although we dont have much call over here for winter tyres the handbook only recommends types of winter tyre.So the dealer is right.Only suggestion i can make is if unhappy to swap tyres then is to have equivalant size/offset wheels and leave the winter tyres perminatly mounted on them and swap when weather requires them to be used.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Being Scandinavian I can share what I normally do.

I usually get a set of winter tyres on steel rims to avoid having to pull the tires on and off the nice alloys.
As this is the first car I have with 18" wheels I will probably try to find some low cost alloys since I don't expect to find 18" steel rims.
I hope my dealer is preparing an offer for me for Jaguar alloys come winter, otherwise I might go for some third party cheap ones.

In the old days we would get the smallest rims that would fit the car and the narrowest tires possible.
Unfortunately they have changed the registration procedure in Sweden so the car is only allowed to use the wheel dimension it came with. To use anything else you need to amend the registration, which is pricey and a bit of a pain.

I can tell you that I am not overly keen on skidding around on 245s in the snow (or sleet as we mostly get) but I really hope that that winter mode button isn't just there for show.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same boat I have the supercharged 09 and have two options. Michelin A/S Plus in the 285/30-20 or Pirelli makes a Winter sotto zero in a 285/30-20 that can be ordered special thru Tire Rack. The Pirelli's will run $1700 for the set and the Michelin's which are high performance all season run $1400.00 The problem is the brakes are larger on these cars to handle the smaller wheel and the car is also calibrated to the 285/30-20 verse the 245/35-20 tire option if you upgraded a Luxury or Premium version XF. Hope this helps but it is all I could find so far.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would like to add that I agree with the tyre manufacturers/dealers in that I would not want to just use the one set of alloys and change the tyres. Even though my mileage means that the set of winter tyres probably won't last more than 2-3 seasons I don't want to take them off and on the rims that many times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts