XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

A few weeks ago, I posted a few tough questions here about the XF, and although not everything was answered (as a result of a lack of some information and crash tests from Jaguar), I have become satisfied enough to decide upon an XFR as my next car. For the luxury, comfort, equipment, power and handling, I can't see any better car for the money, and many worse cars for more money.

So, at the moment I am planing on a Kyanite blue, London Tan, Black headlining, and every option on the list apart from the garage door opener. (Don't have a garage to open!) But once in a while, some options are better to miss, so I wondered if anyone had any strong feelings regarding an option that will be more trouble than use? If I had to scratch one option, I guess it would have to be between the sunroof and TV tuner.

Also, does anyone know how to get the best deal from my dealer, and how much I should expect to get as a discount?

Thanks very much in advance,

David.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Good to read that you have decided in favour of the XF R, congratulations :)
I am sure I read a comment recently of a Jaguar team member, probably a member of the XJ design team, saying that the sun roof was not used very much. I think he was explaining the glass roof on the new XJ and the benefit of the extra light available inside.
Also many people are concerned about skin damage or worse when driving unprotected from the sun.
As for the rest, unless you habitually spend time waiting around, maybe waiting for a wife whilst she is shopping, the TV would not be at all high on the list of extras for me, if ever.
So for me, both would go :lol:
Discount, on that model is going to be difficult for a while. Why not try one of the on line outfits like http://www.broadspeed.com/ to judge the possibility.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would be aiming for a 10% discount (Broadspeed.com are currently showing £54,000 instead of £59,900).

I thought about the TV, however I think for £700 it is a bit of a rip off as the only cost to Jaguar is a tuner module which costs them £25 at most. If it cost more like £250 I might have gone for it but the number of times it would get used (as it won't work if the car is moving) would be faily minimal.

There still seem to be a lot of reports about rattles linked to the sunroof so I would think carefully about how useful it is likely to be; you can't use it when it is raining and if it is hot you would probably want the air con on which would be negated if you had the sun roof open !

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi, I'd agree with no sunroof. I never could see the point.
Same for the TV tuner. If you feel passionate about the TV (which I think you don't) Designervision (installs DVD and screens into the XF) is working on an aftermarket solution to connect to the dashboard screen.
As for useless features, I'd vote to lose the tyre pressure monitor. It only advises when very flat, by that time you can see or feel if you have a problem.
I have the Bowers & Wilkins which I'd spec everytime. However, with the lovely noise that XFR engine kicks out, would you ever turn on the stereo? :lol:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I thought it was going so well...

Had a good evening last night, going through options etc with my local dealer. Then they offered me £5k off - very good starting point. However, today they rang me with my trade-in value: £12k for a 19 month old car (at trade-in) that cost £27k list!

Grrr... Looks like I may have to look elsewhere for a decent deal!

David.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try Drive the Deal.co.uk they couldnt be beaten when I bought my XF and could not fault them :D

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
orangezorki said:
And I thought it was going so well...

Had a good evening last night, going through options etc with my local dealer. Then they offered me £5k off - very good starting point. However, today they rang me with my trade-in value: £12k for a 19 month old car (at trade-in) that cost £27k list!

Grrr... Looks like I may have to look elsewhere for a decent deal!

David.
You got the discount; now sell your car.
Try http://www.wewillbuyyourcar.com/ they made me the best offer of all the online buyers and if you can lose your present car now, you will be all set for your hearts desire :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
My advice would be this....

drop the sunroof. Think about the TV but its not essential. I have a TV on mine and find it useful but I wouldnt spec it if i had to pay for it.

In terms of getting the best deal you will always get the best deal without a trade in so if i were you I would look on drivethedeal.co.uk and see what price you can get on an XFR with your spec and then look at webuyanycar.com and get a price for your current car.

This is how I have bought my last few cars and in doing so when I went to the XF i saved over 6k on what the dealer quoted me and the drivethedeal dealer when they were unmasked were my local dealer anyway!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
funnily enough the sunroof was the major dealmaker when i bought my car, it was the one bit of spec that i really wanted in an otherwise reasonably specced car. i don't have all-round parking sensors or blind spot monitors but don't miss them tbh :) .

with the advent of air-con no-one seems that bothered about sunroofs any more but i really like having one.

i wouldn't be bothered about a tv:no:

the one option i feel i miss is proper Ipod connectivity :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
I absolutely love my sunroof. I often use it and switch off the air con. It is nice to have some "natural" air at times, without having a convertible car.

It has never rattled, has always worked perfectly, and sorry but I do not understand the earlier comment regarding sun rays... when you're not using it just close the blind cover.

I wouldn't bother with tv at all.

I would choose a sunblind though, something else that I like.

Enjoy choosing and then driving.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello again everyone.

Firstly, thank you for all the comments - I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this forum compared with so many others.

Secondly, it is ordered - without the sunroof. Will I regret it? A little, maybe, but it just seemed a bit too small and clunky compared with some of the panoramic options out there -even with it open, most of my head was still under cover. I suspect that it might in the long run just turn into an expensive spot for water and rust to get in.

So, where do I get on the roll of honour?

David. :lol:

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
orangezorki said:
Hello again everyone.

Firstly, thank you for all the comments - I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of this forum compared with so many others.

Secondly, it is ordered - without the sunroof. Will I regret it? A little, maybe, but it just seemed a bit too small and clunky compared with some of the panoramic options out there -even with it open, most of my head was still under cover. I suspect that it might in the long run just turn into an expensive spot for water and rust to get in.

So, where do I get on the roll of honour?

David. :lol:
You are on there now David and congratulations on your decision.
We need to know chapter and verse on colour etc now :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts