XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my XF 3.0D S Luxury for a month after coming out a BMW525d sport which I had for 4 years. Although everyone on this site seems uber positive about the XF I have got to say I am slightly dissappointed, so much so that after just 1 month I am thinking about my next car (which won't be an XF). May be I need to give it a bit more time, but here is why:
- collection day spoiler poorly fitted and had to be booked back in to get repaired (already concerns raised about quality of the vehicle)
- day 4 car had engine malfunction and I had to "limp home" 300 miles. What was worse was the way the dealership handled it, thinking it acceptable to leave me without a vehicle after 4 days of gettting a new car.
- one month on just taken car back to have spoiler refitted and also a couple of rattles which the dealer couldn't find, although as soon as I drove off they were there again. Also when the car is cold and you accelerate it sounds awful - some rattle like noise underneath which does go away as the car warms up.

It's things like the ratles that concern me. This car is just not as well built as a BMW. Driving experience is not great either - steering is too light and therefore the country road experience is soul-less. It's very fast but little feeling for the driver.

Sat-nav/comms is also a few years behind competitors. Whay does the iPOD interface onlt display the track name in the home screen? What can't it give you the artist and why if you are in Sat Nav does it just show the track number?

I could go on, but feel like I have moaned enough. Let's hope things improve.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum redsbuff :)
I certainly would make my way to another dealer before giving up on the XF; a dealer that is prepared to provide a level of service far superior to that which you are receiving presently.
As for the specifics you mention in relation to rattles and so on I am sure that these matters would have been dealt with by most dealers without fuss and an alternative vehicle would have been made available as a simple courtesy.
You may have read in earlier posts the various views expressed concerning the previous version of the Sat Nav but I did think that there is now a fairly general consensus that the present system is fine, albeit, that for some people, illogical commands are encountered from time to time.
As for the handling characteristics of the car I can only say that I am very happy with mine but then I am not terribly demanding.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I can completely relate to you on the dealer thing; I really wanted a Mercedes SL last year and walked in to the dealership, was completely ignored for a while and when I asked what the policy on sitting in their cars and he replied 'the cars are locked' and sauntered off. It didn't matter because I can't afford the one I really wanted anyway, the SL 63 AMG! :lol:

It completely ruined my enthusiasm for the the car and I was pretty fed up whenever I saw a Merc. It goes to show that you can be unlucky with a dealer and it's definately worth having a look for another if you're not happy with your experience.

As for the rattles, I've had one or two and decided that as much as we'd like them to, you can't expect car's not to rattle, however frustrating when you've spend thirty or forty thousand pounds on a car. You can get them sorted but they're not worth getting upset about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like you I have switched from a 5 series to the XF... I have 3 BMW's 5 series from the old M5 to the last couple being 535d Sport Saloon and a 535d SE Touring. Have done 35-40k per annum in those and feel preety well qualified to give my experiance and opinion.

Quality of Build
I must say that having researched the XF on this site and others I was worried about quality but then most forums are inhabitted by either enthusiasts or people with problems. (look at e60.net for the 5 Series).

Personaly had no significant problems with my 535's but I did have to have the drivers seat replaced within 6 months, the leather wore out due to poor design (holes for seat cooling were also on the side bolsters) this was replaced twice under warrenty. Other small problems like rattles were resolved. Fortunaltly my local BM dealer that I have used for 20 years is very good and things are all ways dealt with efficiently.

So far My XF has one quality issue that is being addressed under warrenty. My pre sales experiance with my Local Jag dealer was good and I have yet to use the post sales to any extent.

So far no rattles and the engine is a peach so much smoother than the 535d. With a good V6 sound that its hard to relate to it being a diesel.

The handling/ride balance is in my opinion so much better than either an SE or Sport 5er.

As far as the technology goes, I would agree that the XF system needs more learning/experiance compared to the Idrive which is more intuitive after a much shorter time. I think having made the effort to understand the XF system my conclusion is they could make a far more intuative interface but that each area in many ways has better facilities than the iDrive.

The XF StaNav offers mutiple route selections, easier access to Traffic incidents info, Full post code entry.... The XF Aircon controls are far better, The XF Audio controls are better, The sound quality is vastly superior, BT Phone is not as good as the BM system.

Having recently seen and played with the latest iDrive in the new BM 5GT that will make the XF system seem very dated, but these things all go in steps.

Overall I have driven 3 other XF's for test drives and found those and my own very well put together. They left me feeling that the 5er was an old design (which it is) and that the XF is a more complete and refined option. As a drivers car I find the XF the more pleasurable drive in almost all circumstances (most of which comes from the ride / handling balance)

So I would agree with the other comments made, you need a service oriented dealer rather than a stealer.... and to give the XF time to win you over, it certainly has me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've not driven the 5-series and don't actually own an XF yet (good start!). However I am on my second X-Type and have owned the two previous generations of 3-series. I have generally found the Jaguars - though not perfect - to be better made and more durable than the BMWs. My E46 had got through two rear springs and front radius arms at 44k, I have never had to replace any suspension components on the Jags at 77k and 63k respectively - the interiors have lasted better too (the wood trim was coming off my E46 soon after delivery).

Handling-wise, I drove an E90 320d before I bought my current X-Type, and found the ride on the BMW unacceptable, and the steering far too sensitive to bumps, camber and other irregularities which the Jag setup treats with disdain. Although the Jag steering is light, I find it accurate and precise and although the ride is soft, it is never uncontrolled.

As for dealers, I have had excellent service from Grange Swindon (formerly Swindon Jaguar, formerly Sudburys) but then I was equally happy with Dick Lovett (formerly Hungerford Garages) and Altwood.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Redsbuff, did you not test-drive the Xf before splashing 40k on it!!? Surely you would have had a chance to evaluate the ride handling-balance and steering before purchase.

I have been in the fortunate position to try out the XF , 5 series and Audi A6 as loan cars and came to the conclusion that XF was the most refined of the bunch. Yes the steering is light, but this in keeping with its effortless character. It also gets better if you drive it harder, so ma I suggest you speed up a little.. ;)

Not one niggle with mine since purchase, I am v.v. happy!

I can't figure out why you would need the artist details when playing tracks through the ipod? Surely if it was that important you, could find it via the touchscreen...?

I spent today performing domiciliary visits around the backstreets of Darkest Dagenham- the sat-nav got me to each patient's front door without any mistakes....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Have to say my Xf sat-nav has always been spot on, it is the 2008-2009 software, I have yet to have it upgraded with the latest firmware.

·
Registered
102 Posts
redsbuff said:
What can't it give you the artist and why if you are in Sat Nav does it just show the track number?
If you want to see the full information you can press the arrow key on the audio screen and it will show a pop up window with the current track, artist, album, etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am thinking... one day I will not like a car because I can only get 100 channels on the Anytime TV and that there is an occasional glitch in the hologram, and that damn heads up display only displays 64k colours.

But, in the mean time...

I changed over from a Lexus. No problems, very well put together, lots of toys, all the buttons were where I expected them to be. But soooo boring.

This is a Jaguar. It's meant to be driven, not played with.

In my opinion of course, and not meaning to direct these comments at anyone (usual caveats apply)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Redsbuff, I can certainly agree about the dealerships for Jaguar. A real mixed bag, though there are some out there that know how to look after you.
As for the quality issues you mention, I had 3 Mercs and one BMW leading up to the XF.
The BMW 320 was the most unreliable car I ever had. Every month it was in a different gararge. The dealers were dreadful. I had the car via BMW Leasing. They refused to replace it, so I was left with no option and dumped it in a river to write it off!
The last 2 Mercs had issues (from the factory). SLK, all the light seals leaked, roof leaked, doors weren't hung correctly, then the gearbox failed.
C Class, more electrical gremlins than I can remember, and the Xenon lights didn't work.
After dealerships replaced lights 6 times, I insisted they check the wiring. They found it was the wrong wiring loom!
At this stage I'd had my fill of German build quality.
I went for a Skoda.
The dealers are amazing. I bought the car from new and piled 140k miles on it.
The day I left that at the Jag dealer for my XF the Skoda had never had a single fault or rattle.
The XF had a rattle from the double cup holder. None of the 4 local dealers could hear it :evil:
I ended up fixing it myself. When it's due its first service I'll be taking it to a local Skoda dealer, or an independant.
Jaguar certainly needs to sort the dealers.
As for the car, apart from the limp home issue, I think the other items are not insurmountable, and may be down to unfamiliarity.
I hope you learn to love the car, and if your BMW dealer is good, then take the XF there!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't have a single complaint about my dealer, they really go out of their way to help you. That's what it's reasonable to expect when you're dealing with large amounts of money.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My dealer is really excellent, but so was the BMW dealer I deserted in 2005 as a result of Mr Bangle's horrible styling.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks (to most of you! ;) ) for your kind comments. As said I think most of it was down to poor dealer experience, for which I will be going elsewhere from now on.

I am now a couple of months and 4,000 miles in. Pleased to report no other issues and enjoying my XF more and more. Just got back from a week away and was so pleased to see the (rather dusty) car in the airport car park. After a week driving around in a hire car, I don't think I have ever enjoyed a drive home from the airport as much!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had Beemers from 1980 to 1998 13 in all each one worse than the one before (not strictly true but near enough) then 10 years with MB, then after being bored stiff driving them I bought the XF. Might not be the best built car in the world but its certainly the best looking and best to drive.

gary

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dealers always make or break the ownership experience. A good dealer and even a number of faults can be brushed aside if they are dealt with quickly and efficiently, but with a poor dealer even one fault can leave you wishing for a change.

I've own most quality brands with mainly Audi and BMW over the last several years, yes I've had problems with both of them but on each occasion the dealers have been brilliant and the whole owning of the cars have been a pleasure, but the latest one which was an M3 with DCT hasn't went as smoothly as on other occasions, the DCT has it's faults, mainly relating to lag and if you went on BMW forums the thread on the subject is numerous. So far BMW have no cure for the problem and after a year I decided enough was enough and made the switch to the XF.

Until I get the car and see how things go I can't comment on what life with the XF will be like but knowing the dealer I'm expecting the experience to be a good one.

So as someone else said I would also recommend switching dealers to see if things improve before making the jump to something else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts