XF Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Firstly, I'm around 14 months into ownership of a 2014 XF Sportbrake 2.2 diesel S. I love the thing! It's a bit thirsty (don't know why I get mid 30s mpg) but it's lovely.

The problem I'm facing seems to be with the sound system - when I have it all as default, i.e. equally faded left/right front/rear, it sound ok for the driver and passenger in the front. However, there seems to be little coming out of the rear speakers. If I fade it all the way to the rear then you can hear it but it's nowhere near as loud as the front and the quality isn't quite as good. To get the right 'balance' I have to send it all the way to the back then it 'sounds' right for everyone. The downside is that the overall volume is lowered meaning to get any decent sound I have to crank up the volume past 30.

Is this a common thing with the XF Sportbrake?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi and welcome.
From your description it doesn't sound like you have a fault, but rather it's more of a personal taste or expectation issue. I had a similar model XF and I wasn't happy with the sound set to equally ballanced front/rear, I alway gave a little more to the rear speakers, just enough so it sounded like the sound was all around you rather than seeming to come from either the front or rear (I left the right/left ballance centered). If you do similar, don't expect the volume to remain the same, there will innevitably have to be some small adjustment.
Another tip is to not get impatient when making adjustments, often you need to live with a setting for a while to know if you like it, so make some adjustments, then give it a day or two to become 'acclimatised' to the changes. Also, if you find a setting you like, take a photo of the settings for when somebody has a 'play' while your not looking and messes it all up, you can easily put it back looking at the photo on your phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you! I don't think it's subjective; there is a marked difference in volume output between front and rear. Is it possible the amp isn't delivering properly? Without a decibel meter, I would hazard a guess that the volume in the rear is roughly 1/3 of the front.

[Edit]

That is with the settings bang on centre front/rear and left/right

[Another Edit]
I've double checked by setting the fade all the way to the rear and setting the volume to 30 and sat in the back to check. I then faded all the way to the front, set the volume to 30 and sat in the front. It's definitely around a 1/3 quieter in the back with the volume set at the same value. I know it's difficult to judge the apparent volume but in my case it's significant enough to be able to say.

is the volume limited to the back speakers?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts