XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - I've just joined this site as an existing (happy) S-Type owner but someone who is interested in the XF. I have test driven the 2.7d and liked it, wonder if I'd like the 4.2 more!

However what has stopped me ordering one is the lack of a Sport variant. I know I can raid the limited options list re lip spoilers, chrome side vents, etc, but I'm really after one done like Jaguar did with the old S-Type. Eg. two tone seats, etc. In fact, I have to say that the seats are one thing I'm disappointed with, the lack of side support being noticeable to me.

Can anyone inform me if Jaguar are planning such a model? Until they do my cheque book will remain shut.

Secondly, I've read snippets that engines are being upgraded at some point soon. A 3.0d is apparently in existence, and I feel I read somewhere about a petrol engine being upgraded. Anyone else heard this or is the brain getting confused?

With best wishes to you all....

Twosheds - and yes, I have!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hi sheds, there is currently no plans for a sport model as even the SV8 is not really "sport". However this may change with the introduction of the XF-R mid next year which may spawn a sport version of the standard car.

There is a 3.0 diesel engine on the horizon but my insiders tell me that this wont be released until Autumn 09 and will have around 250bhp. Might as well get a 2.7 and get it remapped!

IMO i dont think the XF will suit being "sportified" the interior is very much geared to modern luxury and I would hate to see them replace the wood with alluminium etc.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :)
I have to say reading your wish list it strikes me odd that you would turn your face against the XF.
You say that the seats are your biggest disapointment; that in my view is not a reason to deny yourself the best car around at present. Stick with the S Type by all means but it will never give you the satisfaction that XF owners are getting today.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
craig said:
Hi sheds, there is currently no plans for a sport model as even the SV8 is not really "sport". However this may change with the introduction of the XF-R mid next year which may spawn a sport version of the standard car.

There is a 3.0 diesel engine on the horizon but my insiders tell me that this wont be released until Autumn 09 and will have around 250bhp. Might as well get a 2.7 and get it remapped!

IMO i dont think the XF will suit being "sportified" the interior is very much geared to modern luxury and I would hate to see them replace the wood with alluminium etc.

Craig - thanks for replying. I agree that I think with the XF-R on the way Jaguar must be thinking along the lines of a "sportier" option (everyone can have their own interpretation on that phrase but I remember the S-type derivative).

Also, a Jaguar dealer told me that the XF line-up at present, with the "flat" seats, was designed with the American market in mind. He also said that I wasn't the first person to comment on the seats as two other potential customers had already done so. In my mind I cannot see Jaguar releasing the XF-R with the present interior, I hope not anyway and I say that with no derogatory intention to the present car. I agree that if you replace the wood then it is not going to look right with yet more aluminium, but piano black or similar is what has been suggested. Maybe Jaguar will surprise us?

Finally, thanks for the diesel information though I'm surprised at that being a year away. Can anyone enlighten me with new/revised petrol engines?

·
Registered
306 Posts
twosheds said:
Hello everyone - I've just joined this site as an existing (happy) S-Type owner but someone who is interested in the XF. I have test driven the 2.7d and liked it, wonder if I'd like the 4.2 more!

However what has stopped me ordering one is the lack of a Sport variant. I know I can raid the limited options list re lip spoilers, chrome side vents, etc, but I'm really after one done like Jaguar did with the old S-Type. Eg. two tone seats, etc. In fact, I have to say that the seats are one thing I'm disappointed with, the lack of side support being noticeable to me.

Can anyone inform me if Jaguar are planning such a model? Until they do my cheque book will remain shut.

Secondly, I've read snippets that engines are being upgraded at some point soon. A 3.0d is apparently in existence, and I feel I read somewhere about a petrol engine being upgraded. Anyone else heard this or is the brain getting confused?

With best wishes to you all....

Twosheds - and yes, I have!
Having had a sporty S type for nearly 4 weeks while the XF was being fixed, I can say that now back in the XF what a difference, the S was not my type of car at all, glad to see the back of it.

gary

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
gary[/quote]
Having had a sporty S type for nearly 4 weeks while the XF was being fixed, I can say that know back in the XF what a difference, the S was not my type of car at all, glad to see the back of it.

gary[/quote]

Yes, and since you are likely to have been in an enraged state I can imagine that you would have tested it thoroughly :D :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do think that as an option a sports pack should have been available. I pick my XF up next week on the 11th & ive speced it with the 20"selena wheels, chrome side vents, rear bootlip spoiler, B&W, Sunroof & Xenons which could have been added with a firmer ride in a sports pack option at a single price.
Also the seats would need to be more supportive on the sides maybe put Recaros in. I would have payed for this.
Obviously this is not to everyones taste but as its a so called sports saloon this should have been available.

If you look at the German makes they have Msport packs on BMW, Sline packs on Audi & similer with Merc & these packs attract the younger buyer & sell well which in turn makes profit for the brand.

When I ordred mine back in April I would have added the Spice colour for the interior but at that time it was only on the SV8 now my dealer says its a £1500 cost option on all models so ive missed out by ordering early. Again if this had been available when I ordered I would have payed for Spice which would have made Jag a little more much needed profit.

If Jaguar are going to survive they are going to have to the attract younger people & they are going to have to sort there marketing out.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
daven2505 said:
I do think that as an option a sports pack should have been available.

If Jaguar are going to survive they are going to have to the attract younger people & they are going to have to sort there marketing out.
I think that you are ignoring the history of Jaguar and also oblivious to the marketing strategy that appears to be in place at present, and working.
To expect Jaguar to develop a car to compete with the BMW M's and so on at such an early stage is fanciful. Only a short time ago Jaguar, along with Land Rover and Aston Martin as part of Ford were struggling to stay in business. The idea that Ford would have allowed the development of a wide range of cars at such an early stage would have been a non starter.
Jaguar, appear to be achieving the very thing that you say they need to do in order to survive, i.e., appeal to a younger market. In a recent poll conducted on another forum
it is evident that the around 80% of buyers were between the age range 20 - 49 and the strongest group were in the range 40-49. Given the likely profile of 40-49 age group in terms of financial spending power it is difficult to argue that Jaguar marketing has gone awry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pekem, first off im in the middle of the age group you mention & I am moving up to a very well speced PL XF after owning a 3ltr & then a 2.2d sport Xtype over the last 5 years.

If i can reply to some of your points you mention.

I didn't say Jaguar have to compete with the likes of BMW M's. The point I was trying to make was the option packs of these cars. You buy a standard spec 3 series, 5 series A4, A6 & then buy a sports option pack which gives better larger alloys, Recaro style seats, harded damping & different trim which I think you will find Land Rover do as well.

The history of Jaguar is history & that is part of Jags problem it thought it could sell cars on history & the long gone image of the Etype. However great the XJ & Stype are/were they look old & appeal to what a Jag manager told me at the Motor show was the 50 to dead customer. Now they need to look at the market place. The XF is selling well I agree but limited model line up only limits choice & customers. As I said if the Spice colour interior & items like tinted/privacy glass were on the list I would have brought

The poll was conducted with mainly Xf owners, what you need is a poll of non Jag owners like a few of my friends who have ordered a BMW & Merc with sports packs. These are the guys who feedback negative images of Jaguar with regards to image.

This is only my opinion & again I say not to everyones taste but im looking at Jaguar now & onwards instead of looking back at its past which is great but has a limited appeal. I am happy owning Jaguars & will look to move up to a XKR or XFR in two years if Gordon Brown & the Scottish Mafia still allow us the choice of buying anything bigger than a bio green mini

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
daven2505 said:
Pekem, first off im in the middle of the age group you mention & I am moving up to a very well speced PL XF after owning a 3ltr & then a 2.2d sport Xtype over the last 5 years.

If i can reply to some of your points you mention.

I didn't say Jaguar have to compete with the likes of BMW M's. The point I was trying to make was the option packs of these cars. You buy a standard spec 3 series, 5 series A4, A6 & then buy a sports option pack which gives better larger alloys, Recaro style seats, harded damping & different trim which I think you will find Land Rover do as well.

The history of Jaguar is history & that is part of Jags problem it thought it could sell cars on history & the long gone image of the Etype. However great the XJ & Stype are/were they look old & appeal to what a Jag manager told me at the Motor show was the 50 to dead customer. Now they need to look at the market place. The XF is selling well I agree but limited model line up only limits choice & customers. As I said if the Spice colour interior & items like tinted/privacy glass were on the list I would have brought

The poll was conducted with mainly Xf owners, what you need is a poll of non Jag owners like a few of my friends who have ordered a BMW & Merc with sports packs. These are the guys who feedback negative images of Jaguar with regards to image.

This is only my opinion & again I say not to everyones taste but im looking at Jaguar now & onwards instead of looking back at its past which is great but has a limited appeal. I am happy owning Jaguars & will look to move up to a XKR or XFR in two years if Gordon Brown & the Scottish Mafia still allow us the choice of buying anything bigger than a bio green mini
That of course is true but they, on the whole, deserted other makes such as BMW, Mercedes, Lexus etc.
In another survey on the same site XF owners were asked which car they had changed from. Of the twenty or so replies only about 4/5 were previously Jaguar owners so again I think the marketing department of Jaguar are achieving their objective.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you daven2505 for expressing far better what I was trying to say.

Yes a "sports" pack would be the ideal solution and personally I think it will come, hence my comment about keeping my cheque book closed for now. This is obviously a personal decision but I would kick myself if I ordered one now only to find that in six months time they produce an option more suited to my taste. How long I wait... that is a guessing game.

I am pleased to read the other replies stating how much they prefer their XF to the old S-type. That is how it should be but it is good to read none the less. So thank you everyone for that feedback.

Producing a "sports" option on a car of this quality and price would make a lot of sense. There is a lot of profit to be made in the extras department (ask BMW or Mercedes!) but you have to make it enticing enough to suit more than one taste and at a price that isn't so excessive if all the little bits are added together. Certainly, Jaguar couldn't produce everything from day one, and as I previously said the car has been "finished"/packaged with the US market primarily in mind. As things settle down then I suspect we will see other options, driven (excuse the pun) byt the XF-R on the horizon.

Whether an estate will be forthcoming is another matter though I have read that it is on the Jaguar "wish list" - personally I would be very interested in that for practical reasons. A coupe I'm told is far more likely as engineering wise it would not take a lot of alterations. A two seater sports car is also on the drawing board I understand, which would probably give Jaguar a good profit margin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts