XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my SC XF out last night with icy conditions. I barely made it out of the icy parking lot witch had bout a 15 degree slope . The Snow mode did help but lets face it, 20 inch wheels with pirelli summer tires just doesn't grip in these conditions. I also had to go up a hill which had a 40 degree slope. First time I made it half way and then just lost momentum and had to reverse it and go back down. Second try I got more speed and then barely made it up doing 1 - 2 mph . Bottom line, My XF will not be going out in the snow anytime soon. I later took a honda accord v6 with front wheel drive and made it up the same hill with no problem. Snow mode doesn't mean the XF can actually drive in these conditions. I'm not sure how the other XF models with 18,19 inch wheels performed in snow? :?:

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
I am not going to fall in the trap that I did with flanker and comment without knowing where in the world you are :!:
flanker, I discovered after he completed his profile, is living in California. If you passatglx are living in the frozen north, perhaps on the slopes of Cairngorm, I would say consider fitting Dunlop SP Winter tyres and enjoy your XF. If on the other hand you are living in an area where the local authority regards ice and snow as an unusual event and not worth spending money on relieving, then I suppose your are right to leave the car in the garage. :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
last snow day we had round here was last month. the local school (at the bottom of the hill) was closed. my V8 S-type went down the hill gently, got to the junction at the bottom and required a slight hoof of throttle to persuade it round. got up the next hill fine, then to the junction with the main road and was subsequently stuck in a queue of muppets who felt that due to the snow they had to do 5mph despite the main road being clear :roll:

IMO rwd is more controllable than fwd in these sort of conditions, but you have to be gentle with throttle, brakes, steering etc, and get a balance between them.

just re-read that - how poncy does it sound :oops:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Can't have too much common sense, bob! :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts