XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok So am I the only person to have suffered from a rodent attack? Nice new diesel XF. Wonderful car but tonight is the 4th time I have had to be shipped back to base after an alarming incident. So what happens.. ? Well, suddenly the car fills with fumes (Yes its the fouth time this has happened!!) Smoke from under the hood and and inside the vehicle through the vents ...its all stop and everyone out.
On Xmas eve this first happened and was very scary. Inspection revealed that rodents had attacked the fuel lines and electrics. This was repaired. The pressurised fuel pipes blew again due to some unrepaired fault and then the third time we had another rodent attack with more pipes eaten through. Tonight's saga looks like another rematch. Diesel fumes are nasty and the vehicle will need a complete defug to be usable again. The engine compartment alive with soaking diesel everywhere.
And before you ask we don't live in the country or keep the car in a barn we keep it lined up with other vehicles on our road. So why does the big cat get it everytimne? Has anyone else had this problem? Is the dealer correct in telling me that diesels are subject to this occasionally. If every deterrent / scare off device i can buy is strapped to the vehicle how do the blighters still get in... the garage tells me they are not "residents" in th vehicle..
I love the car (my 4th Jag) but am having a hopeless experience....
TRAIN

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum Train :)
That's an amazing story and I have know idea how to solve that problem except perhaps inviting Rentokill to take your XF on as a client :lol:

P.S.
It has just crossed my mind that maybe it’s a pregnant rat thing. Much like we hear of pregnant women craving a lump of coal; perhaps there is a female rat with a craving for diesel oil :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not the first or second time I have come accross this one. Lived in two separtate areas of Germany and two of my colleagues had a similar problem. I'm sure they were both diesels - but it was mainly the electric cables that had been gnawed through. The opionion here is that it is quite common and caused by wild polecats/ferrets (you know the type). Wild polecats are seemingly quite common over here, although I have never seen one !! They have been known to live in rafters of houses. They like the warm and will chew on anything. I would suggest you check under your bonnet before you even drive off. Any other cars in your street been got at!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts