XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its now six weeks since my XF went into the garage ( restricted performance / No DSC available).After many false hopes Jaguar tell me it needs a new electronic control unit. But they do not have one, and cannot tell me when they will have one. But to there credit they have loaned me a 09 XF premium car to use until they can repair mine.I might just want to keep it.Its now 4th June Jaguar have just informed me that they have fitted the new electronic control unit,they have re programmed my keys and guess what it still does not work. back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This lack of spares seems to be a common issue. Maybe I should be reassured that Jaguar don't feel that they will be needed. I never had this with BMW, but then again I found that I needed (expensive) parts far too regularly :?

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
frosty said:
This lack of spares seems to be a common issue. Maybe I should be reassured that Jaguar don't feel that they will be needed. I never had this with BMW, but then again I found that I needed (expensive) parts far too regularly :?
Availability of spares will be connected, in part, with the capacity of the secondary supply chain. Many businesses in the Midlands and elsewhere are working at far below capacity because of the economic downturn. I think that all manufacturers will have their difficulties at present :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
My dealer will not loan out XFs if you are unlucky and have to lose your car for a few days for warranty work
I must say I would have expected as a minimum the same spec car as the one you are losing, which after all is the fault of Jaguar in the first please

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
XF Long Wait said:
My dealer will not loan out XFs if you are unlucky and have to lose your car for a few days for warranty work
I must say I would have expected as a minimum the same spec car as the one you are losing, which after all is the fault of Jaguar in the first please
I think it depends on the circumstances. If you are picked up by Jaguar Assistance and lose your car I think that they, Jaguar Assistance, put you in a nice car. If however, you just book the car in for a warranty job it will then depend which dealer you go to. Stratstone will probably put you in a Volvo, Grange on the other hand will most often find a Jaguar.
Other dealers will do their own thing and I don't think Jaguar get involved. :(

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fair point but if it became long term then I would start to make a fuss.
The car is on a lease so I am paying per month a lot of money to drive an XF. Clearly if the replacement was a Golf and the car was in for 2 months then surely that wouldn't be right?
I accept a couple of days
Also, is there a process to reject a car if you feel there are just too many faults? I am sure that won't be necessary

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi :D

Reject an XF, you cry :eek: :eek: , but yes you can we made the terrible mistake of buying my wife the Merc ML which from brand new spent a total of 86 days in different dealerships with the same problem.

I spoke to my company Solicitor who started the ball rolling if the car is on finance (pcp) you must speak to them first and make them aware you intend to reject the car, they will then start making things happen for you the dealership will def listen to the finance company we also got the association of motor traders involved but of course you will have to do some background work to make sure they are a member.

The end result for us was a brand new Merc a loan car (Merc ML) until new one arrived and £1000 oh yea and flowers for the wife so must not complain they where spot on..

·
Registered
51 Posts
If your car is a currently produced model are Jaguar not telling a few porkies?

The production line will not have shut down in these stricken times, can they not divert a part from those arriving with them 'Just in Time'?

As an existing customer you should take priority over cars being produced for their own use or for dealers stock.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Foxtrot said:
If your car is a currently produced model are Jaguar not telling a few porkies?

The production line will not have shut down in these stricken times, can they not divert a part from those arriving with them 'Just in Time'?

As an existing customer you should take priority over cars being produced for their own use or for dealers stock.
Jaguar agreed a deal with the government and unions to maintain a four day working week. Component suppliers may not have achieved the same arrangement and consequently the supply chain may be interrupted.
In the meantime Not just me has been supplied with a replacement XF , which he is enjoying. In the meantime he can clock up the mileage on their car rather than his own.
It would seem to me that the action by Jaguar in the circumstances should be applauded. :)

http://www.learndirect.co.uk/businessin ... h/2995862/

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would the customer prefer the car he has selected and paid for rather than a loan car?

Is customer service at a premium brand not a top priority?

Is not flexible management reaction a desireable aim?

Or will poor service not put the company back to where it was twenty and thirty years ago? And re-establish it as the joke it became in its export markets?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Foxtrot said:
Would the customer prefer the car he has selected and paid for rather than a loan car?

Or will poor service not put the company back to where it was twenty and thirty years ago? And re-establish it as the joke it became in its export markets?
:?: since when have Jags been a joke in any market - they are the main British premium executive marque. and a cut above their rivals.

and as for customer service - i've been tooling around in an XJ for just over a week. it was delivered outside normal working hours after mine broke. it doesn't compare to the XF but no other car could IMO. i didn't expect a comparable courtesy car followng experience with lesser marques. all i wanted was wheels and i'd have been happy with a Ka.

i'm back in my own car now. it had stuck in drive and needed a new gear selector module thingy - it was on back order but they put it through as 'rapid' and nabbed one fron the production line(as i understand it)

throughout the last week i've been kept completely informed about things, and it's all been entirely stress-free.

i can't fault Jag after-sales service atm :)

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
bob said:
Foxtrot said:

:?: since when have Jags been a joke in any market - they are the main British premium executive marque. and a cut above their rivals.

and as for customer service - i've been tooling around in an XJ for just over a week. it was delivered outside normal working hours after mine broke. it doesn't compare to the XF but no other car could IMO. i didn't expect a comparable courtesy car followng experience with lesser marques. all i wanted was wheels and i'd have been happy with a Ka.

i'm back in my own car now. it had stuck in drive and needed a new gear selector module thingy - it was on back order but they put it through as 'rapid' and nabbed one fron the production line(as i understand it)

throughout the last week i've been kept completely informed about things, and it's all been entirely stress-free.

i can't fault Jag after-sales service atm :)

This plainly demonstrates a willingness of management to react flexibly, if indeed it was the case that the part was recovered from the line, but I doubt that there will be many 2.7 XF models going through in order for the same action to be repeated for Not just me :(

Foxtrot asks "Would the customer prefer the car he has selected and paid for rather than a loan car?"
Well Not just me can speak for himself :) I would be happy to pile up the mileage on someone else's car, particularly one as nice as provided to Not just me, but I would also wonder if I should get back in my own before being seduced by the charm of the new XF 3.00 PL :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
pekem said:
I would be happy to pile up the mileage on someone else's car
me too :) though i was a bit disappointed that it could only manage 22mpg :eek: (it was a diesel) seemed a bit lacking in rear -end grip too. somehow pointier though :?: a weight thing i think. didn't suit me though

made getting my own car (17mpg) back all the sweeter. i'd made the right choice :D

oh - and the flexibility thing - the other previous experience i've had of Jag aftersales was when my car was in with a dodgy pedestrian safety system - diagnosed as a sensor issue and the part was ordered, but would take a few days to come in (over the weekend). the dealer nabbed one off one of their stock XFs and got me sorted :)

i agree that it might not be so easy to just pick an ECU off the shelf for a 2.7d XF though :( .

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got my own first taste of Jag Assist yesterday (my father had dealt with them a fair few times when his old S type 2.7D was off the road for its numerous particulate filter issues).

Jag assist has been very good so far - getting a contractor out quickly and organising for Enterprise to call me (as it's a weekend apparently they can only get me a crap box Fiesta until tomorrow when they get me a proper car - let's hope they do). They'll recover the car to the dealer monday morning. So we'll see what happens then.

Weird issue though. A week ago I had a 'CATS system fault' flash up on the screen, but the dealer couldn't find anything logged on the car, and it hasn't reappeared. Might be unrelated but yesterday, under deceleration and braking (only after the car was warmed up) there's a strange grinding/rubbing noise which is speed dependent that's coming from the transmission tunnel area; so taking no chances called Jag Assist. The contractor couldn't find anything obvious underneath, but confirmed the problem after hearing it himself. The other thing is that the car isn't quite as responsive when this noise is apparent; it seems slower to pick up and the throttle response is slower (in sport auto/manual/dynamic mode).

Also, not sure whether it's a design thing or an issue related to the above. If the car is switched off in Dynamic mode, when restarted dynamic mode comes back on but the DSC light isn't on (and doesn't come back on until dynamic mode is switched off and on again).

Cheers

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Stevie said:
Got my own first taste of Jag Assist yesterday (my father had dealt with them a fair few times when his old S type 2.7D was off the road for its numerous particulate filter issues).

Jag assist has been very good so far - getting a contractor out quickly and organising for Enterprise to call me (as it's a weekend apparently they can only get me a crap box Fiesta until tomorrow when they get me a proper car - let's hope they do). They'll recover the car to the dealer monday morning. So we'll see what happens then.

Weird issue though. A week ago I had a 'CATS system fault' flash up on the screen, but the dealer couldn't find anything logged on the car, and it hasn't reappeared. Might be unrelated but yesterday, under deceleration and braking (only after the car was warmed up) there's a strange grinding/rubbing noise which is speed dependent that's coming from the transmission tunnel area; so taking no chances called Jag Assist. The contractor couldn't find anything obvious underneath, but confirmed the problem after hearing it himself. The other thing is that the car isn't quite as responsive when this noise is apparent; it seems slower to pick up and the throttle response is slower (in sport auto/manual/dynamic mode).

Also, not sure whether it's a design thing or an issue related to the above. If the car is switched off in Dynamic mode, when restarted dynamic mode comes back on but the DSC light isn't on (and doesn't come back on until dynamic mode is switched off and on again).

Cheers
I am not sure if I am reading you correctly but isn't the case that DSC only displays in the message centre when it is not deployed. In other words DSC is on by default. At start up I think it displays very briefly and then disappears. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Pekem.

When Dynamic mode is selected, trac dsc is turned on and the DSC light is constantly illuminated (by default). However, switch the engine off, restart, the car starts in dynamic mode (up to 4 hours after I think), but DSC light stays off (so presumably trac dsc is off at that point too). Must double check the manual.

Cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
On parts - my car is now going in to the dealer for 2 issues:

1 The rear bumper assembly is incorrectly fitted leading to misalignment with the boot (estimated 3 days bodyshop)
2 The rear treadplate that I thought was just a clip apparently involves the wiring loom protection as it travels down the passenger side of the car. Hence the dealer has ordered the replacement part (5 days for that to come) The fitting will involve removing the rear seats and the carpet (so the service guy says)

I cannot fault the after sales service from the dealer, my only concern is on a top quality product which the XF clearly is you wouldn't expect many (if any) faults, particularly in the first 2 weeks.

My 5 previous cars (for myself and my wife) have all been Japanese and in all 5 which were all new we had only 1 minor fault for all of them combined (total ownership for the 5 cars would be 12 years). At no time did we have to have a courtesy car supplied.

Really concerned at the number and breadth of faults reported on this Forum, although accept that some people will join just to report a fault (not the case for me I hasten to add)

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
XF Long Wait said:

1 The rear bumper assembly is incorrectly fitted leading to misalignment with the boot (estimated 3 days bodyshop)
2 The rear treadplate that I thought was just a clip apparently involves the wiring loom protection as it travels down the passenger side of the car. Hence the dealer has ordered the replacement part (5 days for that to come) The fitting will involve removing the rear seats and the carpet (so the service guy says)

I cannot fault the after sales service from the dealer, my only concern is on a top quality product which the XF clearly is you wouldn't expect many (if any) faults, particularly in the first 2 weeks.

My 5 previous cars (for myself and my wife) have all been Japanese and in all 5 which were all new we had only 1 minor fault for all of them combined (total ownership for the 5 cars would be 12 years). At no time did we have to have a courtesy car supplied.

Really concerned at the number and breadth of faults reported on this Forum, although accept that some people will join just to report a fault (not the case for me I hasten to add)

You are quite right about the Forum attracting owners wishing to vent their spleen, often after having been wound up by a dealer :)
However, we should also keep in mind that Jaguar have moved on and the faults that show up after trawling the search facility involve the early cars in the main and it is the case that generally they have all been resolved.
I don't think we have seen many reports from owners of the latest 3.00 series cars :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
XF Long Wait said:

1 The rear bumper assembly is incorrectly fitted leading to misalignment with the boot (estimated 3 days bodyshop)I cannot fault the after sales service from the dealer, my only concern is on a top quality product which the XF clearly is you wouldn't expect many (if any) faults, particularly in the first 2 weeks.
erm - not being too funny about this. you've said in your other thread it was about 5mm out of line - that's nothing :(

yes it's a top quality product, but on anything mass-produced you'll get issues. atm you're taking advantage of some very good aftersales care - which i'd be very surprised if your Japanese manufacturers could match :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts