XF Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
22,552 Posts
Just in the process of the first mod on the XFR :) I think the black grille looks better than the chrome one but a new one is circa £400 :shock: !!!!!! so I've bought a second hand one (without the chrome surround) and have had it painted black :p .... all I need to do is get it on the car . . had a look and :eek: it looks like a long job.... any advice out there on how to remove the grille?? :)
This thread has been merged. Please do search before starting a new technical topic because we may well have covered it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, thanks for the reply, sounds like the long job I was hoping it wasnt going to be but I need to get it done so I'll give it a go over the weekend . . fingers crossed . . thanks again

G

·
It really isn't that long and I'm not particularly good at doing jobs like that! Now I've thought about it, the sequence I took them off was firstly the bolts underneath the shutline of the bonnet, you'll see this if you open the bonnet-they hold the top of the bumper on, then the screws underneath the bumper, it's just a case of laying on your back with a torch to locate them, then the screws at the front of the inside of the wheel arch. I think the connector plug for the front parking sensors is on the nearside and this just unplugs. To remove the old grille I used pliers to remove the spring clips.
Maybe others have done this and will add any advice or easier techniques.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yes, did this too recently to replace a grille that some kind soul had split the surround on following a gentle parking knock (I think).

I was on my own so it took me a bit longer than some others suggest, getting the bumper lines up against the undertray was quite fidgety and the grille fought every inch of the way in trying to remove the tabs.

It's not difficult but don't underestimate the time it might take to do the job.

G

·
Looks fab....but if I'am honest I like both the chrome and black grills....no real preference,unless the car is white...in which case the black grill wins

G

·
How it should have been in the first place and especially on an XFR

Looks good, will this be the start of a long line of mods?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. . . around 20 screws to undo, a bit of brute force and 1hr later you've the bumper off. . . I must say I don't understand why they only put the black grille only on the S !! it should be on the R to match the black lower grilles. . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was able to access the grille to put an "R" emblem on my '11 XFR (like the '12+ XFR has) by pushing the top of the lower center grill forward into the car (it just clips in and out). The R emblem is attached by a 3-piece (3-piece: 1) internal plastic connector backing, 2) external plastic connector backing, and 3) a screw) OEM backing that mounts perfectly onto the mesh grille. Once the lower grille was leaned into the car, I was easily able to push my arm through to the upper grille (plenty of space between the grille and radiator), where I attached the internal plastic connector backing (inside the grille) of the R emblem to the external plastic connector backing (outside the grille) with the provided screw. Once everything was mounted in place, I simply attached the R emblem to the external plastic connector backing and voila. It took about 10 minutes, nothing was broken, and it looks great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great thread, thanks for posting. Does anyone have the part number as wanted to upgrade the grille on my 2009 XFR. Thanks !

·
Premium Member
2012 XF V6 3.0 litre Diesel
74 Posts
Re: XF Grille removal

Can you post the instructions for removing the front bumper please, just wonder whether to do it myself or not
Probably a tad late but our friend Hilton has this video up showing you how to do all the steps.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts