XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased the "S" black grille (my car although an S was specified with the chrome one).

I followed the directions given in another post to gain access to the two Torx T20 screws holding the grille in place as follows: -

First of all, remove the "push" fasteners holding the air intake moulding using a small screwdriver to loosen the centres and allow them to be removed.

Then remove the six 8mm bolts (marked in red) holding the moulding in front of the radiator/condenser stack. This can then be lifted off the two round lugs at each end of the radiator, and tilted up from under the header tank, moving the air intake out of the way as necessary.
UNQUOTE

This allowed removal of the screws but following that I failed to be able to push, pull or prise the original grille out of the bumper.

Can anybody give me further assistance? Is there something other than the snap lugs holding the grille in place, don't want to break it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Re: XF Grille removal

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Patkin, not knowing exactly the procedure you are referring to I can only hazard a guess. To your point, I can find no publication (none that I don't have to pay for) about removing the grill. However, I have found this as part of renewal of the front bumper. Let me know if it close :D or way off the mark :?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi there, thank you for a prompt response, yes this is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there any text to explain what the curved tool is doing in the second illustration?

I have access to the rear of the grill from the top by removing the trim in the engine compartment and I have removed the two torx screws detailed in ill 7. I have thus far been unable(unwilling) to apply enough force to simply pull the grill out. Now I see there is a tool, Im assuming this is just a lever to release the clips.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Patkin said:
Hi there, thank you for a prompt response, yes this is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there any text to explain what the curved tool is doing in the second illustration?

I have access to the rear of the grill from the top by removing the trim in the engine compartment and I have removed the two torx screws detailed in ill 7. I have thus far been unable(unwilling) to apply enough force to simply pull the grill out. Now I see there is a tool, Im assuming this is just a lever to release the clips.
the arrows pointing on that last pic is to all the tabs, gently (they can easily snap if too much pressure is used) push these in with a flathead screwdriver to release the grill

·
Registered
598 Posts

Patkin said:
The curved tool is a simple 'pick'. A tool in many guises, but put simply a skinny pointy metal spike that comes in a variety of shapes. An essential tool in removal of vehicle trim panels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Many thanks for the responses gents. I will try again this evening armed with a flat bladed screwdriver and report upon my further progress (or not).

If it works this should be of interest because I dont fancy removal of the entire front bumper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Well now all is clear, after a further attempt to remove the grille with the bumper in situ, it is not possible. in the illustration above, the pointed tool is removing spring steel clips from the back of the grille. I would say this is not possible with the bumper in place and bow to superior knowledge that said that in the first place.

Can anybody help me with the procedure to remove the front bumper please :roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

shepherdspie said:
Patkin said:
The curved tool is a simple 'pick'. A tool in many guises, but put simply a skinny pointy metal spike that comes in a variety of shapes. An essential tool in removal of vehicle trim panels.
Can you post the instructions for removing the front bumper please, just wonder whether to do it myself or not

·
Registered
598 Posts

Patkin, I will see what I can do. I would advise against it myself as if you break something then you will incur the costs, however if they do it .......

Give me to the end of the day (baby duties and all that).

·
Registered
13 Posts

Why, oh why, would anyone want to replace a chrome grille with a practically invisible black one? :roll:
Maybe I'd replace the plastic chrome-look grille with a REAL chrome grille, but not black...

MORE CHROME! NOT LESS! REPEAT, MORE CHROME! NOT LESS! :!:

Then again: To each, his own...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

shepherdspie said:
patkin, the following link directs you to several PDFs on fitting a front bumper, but you should be able to reverse engineer the diagrams. Unfortunately this is all I can get hold of, I would suggest leaving to those that have access to the full technical documents.
C2Z9910, C2Z9911 - XF - Fitting Instructions - Front Bumper Assembly - 10MY
Many thanks, you are a superstar.

Im changing the grille because I procured the black one reasonably and because I now have the choice, if i dont like it I can change is back again.

G

·

Patkin said:
shepherdspie said:
Patkin said:
Can you post the instructions for removing the front bumper please, just wonder whether to do it myself or not
I remember a conversation with Lussac who had his Chrome grill swapped with a Black one. I'm sure if only took at about 15mins to be swapped by the technician. I maybe wrong, hopefully he is lurking and can shine a little light. You shouldn't have to remove the front half of the car to swap a grill.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well it took 2 hours at Stratstone Jaguar in Solihul and they broke the chrome surround as they removed the chrome grill........I'm not too happy, I could have done that!

·
Registered
598 Posts

Patkin said:
Well it took 2 hours at Stratstone Jaguar in Solihul and they broke the chrome surround as they removed the chrome grill........I'm not too happy, I could have done that!
On the up side, they have to replace it without denting your pocket :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Well I must say I cannot fault the response to this by the service manager, he is going to replace the damaged grille as soon as he comes by one and a touch up paint stick is on its way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
XF front grille replacement

Hi Guys, Hope someone out there can offer some advice on how to replace the front grille on a 10 plate XF.
Grille in question was damaged in a carpark incident and a replacement purchased with the view to DIY fitment. Tried access from top & bottom after removing various plastic panels, under trays etc but looks like the entire front bumper needs to be removed in order to gain access to the spring clips holding the plastic grille lugs in situ. Managed to loosen bumper apart from the upper edge nearest the wheels.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Joe.

·
Registered
598 Posts
joe39, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the damage to your XF in a car park, there seems to be a spate of damage whilst parked (or not) to forum members cars of late. This topic was covered a while back and a search revealed the thread; I have merged your post with that one to aid in searchers. Please feel free to update your profile with a bit of information about you and your car. Pekem will send you a PM with further information shortly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it an easy job removing the grille?

Just in the process of the first mod on the XFR :) I think the black grille looks better than the chrome one but a new one is circa £400 :shock: !!!!!! so I've bought a second hand one (without the chrome surround) and have had it painted black :p .... all I need to do is get it on the car . . had a look and :eek: it looks like a long job.... any advice out there on how to remove the grille?? :)

G

·
Hi, I did this, it's not a difficult job, easier with 2 people though. From what I remember took about 40 minutes.
You need to remove the front bumper, I seem to remember there are screws on the underside of it, plus some on the top inside the bonnet and around the wheel arch, the bumper then pulls off, if there are 2 people 1 can hold it whilst the other disconnects the wiring for the front sensors if fitted, then lay on a rug to prevent scratches. The bumper insert is held in with clips, I think about 5 or 6 but you can tell from the tabs how many on the new grille. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts