XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. I do like the looks of the new XF "S" diesel 272BHP and would like very much to buy one "IF" and it's a big IF; the economy is good.
The 2.7 Diesel in uk seems to average between 25/32 MPG ( UK GALS)= 23/30 US.
The UK forums on this mark have some Horror stories economy wise, and all are hoping for improvements after the cars are "Run-in".
In my experience you get almost at the start as you get down the road, so whats your take on the economy side?. These cars IMO do not give good economy. :|

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
johnbmwx6 said:
These cars IMO do not give good economy. :|
Well you're right there John!
The XF does not give as good economy as say, a fiesta Econetic or Aygo etc..

I'm a little confused by your posts so far John, each of them has posed that you really like the XF but potentially will not have it if your criteria is not met.
If you want lots of storage space, get an estate.
If you want good economy get a Toyota Prius!
If you want a car that looks the dogs danglies is an absolute pleasure to drive and will be a bit special for years to come, get the XF.

johnbmwx6 said:
In my experience you get almost at the start as you get down the road, so whats your take on the economy side? :|
Yep lost me again here! Are you referring to running in engines? Or just litterally driving from one end of the road to the other?
It's a fact that initial economy from new will be very poor compared to a car thats done a few thousand miles.

From you username JohnBMWX6 I take it there is some hint as to your current car ownership, I can't believe for a minute that the X6 is anywhere near as good economy wise as the XF 3D!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having run a 2.7d for the past year and clocked up 13k miles I've managed to record an average of 32 mpg. As a first time Jaguar owner (previously BMW, Audi, Range Rover, Porsche etc) I am more than happy and awaiting delivery of my 3.0d s next week.

I would not go back to BMW at present - arrogant dealerships, boring design, dodgy image and far too many about. Draw your own conclusion :lol:

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
johnbmwx6 said:
Hi Guys. I do like the looks of the new XF "S" diesel 272BHP and would like very much to buy one "IF" and it's a big IF; the economy is good.
The UK forums on this mark have some Horror stories economy wise, and all are hoping for improvements after the cars are "Run-in".
In my experience , you get almost at the start as you get down the roadso whats your take on the economy side?. These cars IMO do not give good economy. :|
I am not clear quite what that sentence means. You did tell me on Friday
"The new 3.0 Diesl XFS looks more what I may go for, BUT is the boot big enough for golf trolly and clubs and secondly do the rear seats "Fold Down", if so I am up for a test drive"
I told you that the seat did fold down and others have said that the boot is more than adequate for golfing kit. I then said that you should arrange a test drive ASAP.
I am therefore wondering when you say "In my experience" quite what your experience is based on since you have not driven an XF yet :?:

As far as fuel economy is concerned generally I would say that there has not, on this forum at least, been a great expression of horror at the achieved fuel consumption results.
Keep in mind that few people when expressing a view about their own fuel consumption figures provide information as to how the figures were obtained; we are often left to guess if the consumption report is based on the in car meter or if as a result of careful mathematical calculation based on actual fuel purchase / miles covered.

I would however trust the numbers published by SpiresST, see below, because they will almost certainly reflect actual consumption after careful analysis.
So, I say again, arrange a test drive ASAP and then decide if you wish to move away from BMW to an entirely different experience :)

[b]SpiresST[/b] said:
We have one map at the moment but this gives both the performance increase and improved crusing mpg. The cruising mpg climbed from 34 to 38 on our car as soon as the map was applied.[/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zx10ben said:
johnbmwx6 said:
These cars IMO do not give good economy. :|
Well you're right there John!
The XF does not give as good economy as say, a fiesta Econetic or Aygo etc..

I'm a little confused by your posts so far John, each of them has posed that you really like the XF but potentially will not have it if your criteria is not met.
If you want lots of storage space, get an estate.
If you want good economy get a Toyota Prius!
If you want a car that looks the dogs danglies is an absolute pleasure to drive and will be a bit special for years to come, get the XF.

johnbmwx6 said:
In my experience you get almost at the start as you get down the road, so whats your take on the economy side? :|
Yep lost me again here! Are you referring to running in engines? Or just litterally driving from one end of the road to the other?
It's a fact that initial economy from new will be very poor compared to a car thats done a few thousand miles.

From you username JohnBMWX6 I take it there is some hint as to your current car ownership, I can't believe for a minute that the X6 is anywhere near as good economy wise as the XF 3D!
:cool:
Well I must correct you on the economy of the X6 35D mine returned from new 30/34MPG and has not improved one jot in 6K miles, the same I can say for the M6, B7 RS4, A8TDI sport 4.2, and the 635Dsport I just sold, all these cars gave the samish ( in respect to them) MPG from the off.
With respect to "My take on econonomy, I expect the XFS with normal light footed driving to give 40ish MPG, I am not looking for 50MPG, but mores too the point 25 MPG is unacceptable.
I can get this figure from a V8.
I have not seen a quality car as yet significantly improve MPG over 12K miles of use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pekem said:
johnbmwx6 said:
In my experience , you get almost at the start as you get down the roadso whats your take on the economy side?. These cars IMO do not give good economy. :|
I am not clear quite what that sentence means. You did tell me on Friday
"The new 3.0 Diesl XFS looks more what I may go for, BUT is the boot big enough for golf trolly and clubs and secondly do the rear seats "Fold Down", if so I am up for a test drive"
I told you that the seat did fold down and others have said that the boot is more than adequate for golfing kit. I then said that you should arrange a test drive ASAP.
I am therefore wondering when you say "In my experience" quite what your experience is based on since you have not driven an XF yet :?:

As far as fuel economy is concerned generally I would say that there has not, on this forum at least, been a great expression of horror at the achieved fuel consumption results.
Keep in mind that few people when expressing a view about their own fuel consumption figures provide information as to how the figures were obtained; we are often left to guess if the consumption report is based on the in car meter or if as a result of careful mathematical calculation based on actual fuel purchase / miles covered.

I would however trust the numbers published by SpiresST, see below, because they will almost certainly reflect actual consumption after careful analysis.
So, I say again, arrange a test drive ASAP and then decide if you wish to move away from BMW to an entirely different experience :)

[b said:
SpiresST[/b]]
We have one map at the moment but this gives both the performance increase and improved crusing mpg. The cruising mpg climbed from 34 to 38 on our car as soon as the map was applied.[/quote:rs9qpuej]
[/quote:rs9qpuej]
Pekem I conceed as too NOT having driven this Car, and as you and others have rightly pointed out, the boot area and folding seats has been confirmed as good for my needs.
Sorry if I am "Harping on" about fuel economy but I do expect a reasonable MPG from a car with the latest engine tech, it is IMO easy to post good fuel returns and not so easy achieving them.
I got 40MPG from my 635D Sport which was fantastic, the rear seats eventually proved a stubling block hence the X6.
I have spent fortunes on cars in the past and now wish to stop this waist and settle for a nice car with reasonable economy and very good looks, I hope the new XFS fits this bill. ;)what I ment by "what you get at the star....." was the MPG, my cars have given good MPG figures for the types of car they were from day one, not 6 months later.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
As I remarked earlier, often we don't know if fuel consumption figures reported by members reflect the calculations by the "in car" meter or careful analysis.
However, just for fun, I reset the meter in the car today and travelled from the centre of Watford to Bedford via the M1 to Toddington and then on, using rural A roads across to the A6. Whilst on the M1 the meter displayed an average MPG of around 42/43mpg. This was at a fairly constant speed of 70 /75 along the new multi lane, Hemel / Luton section of the M1, which by the way has a wonderful road surface, thought I had a different car :)
By the time I had passed through Bedford's town streets and out the other side, the meter was then showing 40.1 mpg. I am fairly sure that if I had carried on to Cambridge using the new Bedford bypass, the AI and then the improved A428, the consumption figure would have gone back up to the mid forties.
I don't have any complaints about economy :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dear All,

Since my last post (unfortunately I can't make it on to the site as much as I would like!) which was just after I'd picked up my new 2.7 XF, I have now covered 700 miles. Using the trip computer, I have now managed an average of 39.7mpg on the current tank with a real mix of driving conditions. Overall the mpg is 32.8 (have not reset trip computer 'b').

This is astonshing economy given the characteristics of the engine (as I said in my initial post, I was 'happy' to live with the initial economy due to the driving pleasure!) and the fact that I have been stuck in traffic for much of the last 200 miles.

Given that the new 3.0 and 3.0S have better on paper economy than the 2.7, I would think that achieveing 35-40 mpg will be a given.

Also, I am pleased to say (touch wood - and that looks great too!) that I have had NO problems at all and as I've said before, I am a 'fussy customer' who probably inadvertantly 'looks' for problems. The only 'problem' I have is that I get a 'creak' where the leather of the dash touches the osf door pannel so will be applying some leather cleaner to 'lubricate', also, I am getting lots of brake dust on the wheels (particularly the back) between washes, which probably says more about my driving!

This is a truly great motor car and to be blunt (I can be!) all the comparisons with a BMW xxx series or a yyy series with a zzz diesel is nonsense - there is no comparison. I have never owned a BMW, but have test driven the 5 Series. BMW's are teutonic, soul less, functional (and no more) and have zero personality, which may just reflect their drivers! They also have an awful ride, rattle and are not as well put together as their owners and BMW would have you think.

For those of you waiting for your 3.0's (and in particluar, those of you who haven't owned an XF before), you won't be disapointed.

I'm off for a drive now!

Martin

PS - Thanks Pekem for posting the link to "Polished Bliss". I have just finished the full 'claying', Blackfire polishing, Carnauba Waxing etc... routine as a result of visiting the site (and the posts of Roma!) and the result is stunning. I will take some pictures and post ASAP.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I do not use my car often, my best was the day I bought it a trip of 226 miles (with a duff diff) I got 34mpg but my usual trips are about 6 to 20 miles and at the moment its giving me 22.9 mpg, and that is not going fast, not good.

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
I do not use my car often, my best was the day I bought it a trip of 226 miles (with a duff diff) I got 34mpg but my usual trips are about 6 to 20 miles and at the moment its giving me 22.9 mpg, and that is not going fast, not good.

gary
Well Gary, I think that you are a very special case :lol:
Seriously, why not get in your car, zero the meter and then drive along the fast road between say Swansea and Cardiff, is it the M4?, and if the meter is still showing that kind of poor number take it straight in to those dear people that you know so well and ask them to fix it. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
As I reported last week, mine had the ECU software upgraded while at the dealer and while performance is much improved, consumption is pretty poor. Averaged 28.6mpg on the last tank and that was with a few decent runs, admittedly not on motorways. Previously I have been able to get mid 30's on motorwau runs but have to say not impressed with the consumption.

I am loathe to take it back to the dealer as I would not want to lose the performance improvement, particularly the improved throttle response. However I have to say that I got better consumption from my 4.2 V8 XK so I am somewhat disappointed as the XF was supposed to be a 'sensible' purchase to appease the wife (this is admittedly a rare event - sorry XF-FX !!).

Should be doing a longer run later next week so will be interesting to see what sort of figures I get then.

·
Registered
319 Posts
2.7 PL 13,000 miles... I do regular round trips to heathrow from the midlands via the M1 / M25 / M4 , plus approx 5 miles on A roads getting on & off the M1.
with a total of approx 240 miles at a steady 70mph, i return a mpg of 47 / 48 plus.

·
Registered
306 Posts
pekem said:
garyxf said:

gary
Well Gary, I think that you are a very special case :lol:
Seriously, why not get in your car, zero the meter and then drive along the fast road between say Swansea and Cardiff, is it the M4?, and if the meter is still showing that kind of poor number take it straight in to those dear people that you know so well and ask them to fix it. :)
Peter at my age I would rather walk than drive, the roads are pretty dire around here, I am getting to stage that it would be cheaper for me to hire a Lambo for my occasional needs than buy new cars, my total mileage since 1998 is 17000. When your parents die and your sister has moved to foreign parts I have found that any long trips I used to make no longer happen. Although I like my XF and any fuel consumption figures good or bad do not worry me (I averaged 17 mpg in my last car over 4 years) I dislike driving in todays traffic but I have always liked cars, sad or what.

gary

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
garyxf said:
Peter at my age I would rather walk than drive, the roads are pretty dire around here, I am getting to stage that it would be cheaper for me to hire a Lambo for my occasional needs than buy new cars, my total mileage since 1998 is 17000. When your parents die and your sister has moved to foreign parts I have found that any long trips I used to make no longer happen. Although I like my XF and any fuel consumption figures good or bad do not worry me (I averaged 17 mpg in my last car over 4 years) I dislike driving in todays traffic but I have always liked cars, sad or what.
gary
Gary, :)
Apart from the personal loss, the really sad thing is that you know what mileage you have covered in the last 10 years or so :!:
How sad is that :cry: :cry:

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
46mpg :D
Yes, 46 mpg from a zeroized meter, if that's the right word. Achieved between Sandy on The A1 right down, via the North Circular road to Woolwich Ferry.
It was all down hill from then on though because the Blackwall Tunnel was closed this morning and the ferry had just one boat operating, "The Mayor of London".
Cars were nose to tail for over a mile waiting to get across.
Eventually we managed to drive on and get across but not before I spotted a a couple of ladies sitting in the back of a Smart car in the queue of traffic and on the lap of one lady was the most enormous celebration cake I have seen. It was designed to celebrate a First birthday and I was so impressed with the cake I asked if I could photograph it.
Anyway, to continue, we travelled on to Chiselhurst, a further 6 miles, on through very heavy London traffic and I watched the Mpg figure fall back to just over 31.
Our return journey was interesting because we came back via Central London over Lambeth Bridge and then on up through Belgravia and Park Lane to Kilburn and eventually the M1. After all the incredibly heavy Central London traffic and the journey back up the M1 at around 70/80 mph plus various rural A roads, the final figure on the meter showed 35.9 Mpg :)
As I have said before; I do think the fuel economy on the XF is excellent. :D

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've said before about the economy of my XF, but still think thats it's heavily dependant on the driving style. I normally average between 27 to 30mpg at best, the wife can achieve around 35 to 39mpg. I drove to Hannover airport last year about a 1 & 1/2 Hr trip at an average of 75mph and achieved 40+ mpg.
Trouble is when I get behind that wheel, horns come out of my head and my right foot gets extremely heavy, so much so I am unable to support it and just have to let it drop to the floor :evil: :lol: It doesn't help that I have a 10mile stretch of de-restricted Autobahn between my house and work, so my 27mpg is averaging at 130mph! So actually the mpg is quite good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts