XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our XF (purchased last April) has been a nightmare, culminating January 1st in a car that wouldn't start at all, and a dealer telling us that the battery was dead, but was fine itself…something drained it, but they didn't know what. We reluctantly accepted the vehicle back, asking them why we should trust that by doing nothing they had "fixed" our car, and expressing our concern that it would happen again.

Well, today, after cleaning ice off the car, we got in and -- you've got it -- our piece of sh*t XF (we think the XF is an awesome car…just not the one they sold us…) is, again, completely dead. Missed meetings. Hanging around the house waiting for tow service. Steaming hot furious.

Now if this were the only problem we'd had, we might be more forgiving, but here's the list sent (just yesterday, in fact) to the manufacturer, the person we've been working with in their executive relations group, the North American rep for Tata Sons (who's awesome and has passed our concerns along to the Managing Director at Tata Motors HQ in India), etc.:

1. Inoperable audible turn signal indicator
2. Rattle inside cabin – perhaps related to sunroof
3. Outside rattle toward rear of undercarriage
4. Excessive satellite radio updates
5. Inconsistent operation of Bluetooth handsfree connectivity function
6. Vehicle pulls to right when braking
7. Vehicle drifts right
8. Seat Belt D-Loop recall
9. Instrumentation pedestrian impact system issues
10. Vehicle stalls intermittently upon start
11. Vehicle failed to start entirely, towed to dealer — no innate problem identified with battery;
no underlying cause of battery drain identified
12. Wiper switch / incorrect fuse recall
13. Periodic unusual fuel odor outside and periodically inside cabin
14. Knocking noise from front suspension area
15. Significant brake noise – heightened in wet conditions and on unlevel ground
16. Engine compartment rattle – notable outside of vehicle upon initial start when idling
17. CATS system faults
18. Electronic systems have rebooted on at least three occasions while vehicle was being operated on the highway at speed — a significant safety risk given the range of systems controlled by these networks
19. Assorted electronic systems issues — delayed welcome screen; delayed initiation of backup camera upon putting vehicle in reverse; faulty detection of Smartkey in cabin when it isn’t and resultant failure of locking/arming; periodic failure of parking aid systems
20. Random faults – when vehicle was at dealer in early January, thirty-five (35) faults were identified, none of which was adequately explained away as spurious nor specifically diagnosed and acted upon; these included faults from many safety systems

Now, mind you, some of these problems have been "fixed," if you call replacing the instrument cluster with another one that has the same physical problem as the first, but "fixing" it by reflashing the software to have a less substantial WAV file for the audible indicator so it won't break the new one actually repairing it…

But most of them have not.

Some haven't even been diagnosed as to cause.

And heck, we learned last week about faults and repairs made to the vehicle BEFORE we bought it, but not previously disclosed to us…

So now, we've had it.

After buying 4 Jags in 50 months from the same dealer, they treat us like crap.

This is war.

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
Hi h1ghnote
Welcome again to the forum :)
Certainly it is a sorry tale and I am sure we can all sympathise with you. :(
On the plus side you seem to be getting to the right man Ratan Tata, as Chairman of Tata Sons Limited albeit, via a roundabout route. Can't get better than that :)

I presume you did not get a satisfactory response from Jaguar Canada, Customer Service Center at 1-800-668-6257
It will be good to learn soon that all of the issues have been resolved completely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the N.A. rep for Tata is sending the info to the Managing Director at Tata Motors, not the Chair. But all the same, I've pushed it to a high level.

And we're in the U.S.

And for the record, the young, arrogant executive liaison who reports directly to Mike O'Driscoll and Gary Temple…I wouldn't let her be a liaison for my port-a-potty business.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should explain my choice of the word "arrogant"…

She lost me when she said, "Mr. X, we have absolutely no obligation to fix anything."

Go figure. Glad she told me what I'd already guessed was her starting point in the discussion, but sadly, I don't think the Counsel's office (or her bosses) would agree with that assessment… nor would their PR firm want to have to explain what she meant by that…

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
I am sorry that I placed you in Canada :oops: It would help us all if you would visit the Profile section and indicate a little more than at present.
With regard to your discussions with Jaguar they will, no doubt, be happy to expand on their view, if asked.
From this distance it is not possible to say, however, it may be simply that consumer law, certainly here in the UK, requires that a remedy is sought by you with the seller and not manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here, liability ultimately lies with the manufacturer under the terms of their warranty, and its interpretation under the laws of the state in which the vehicle was purchased.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts