XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how many hours it takes to assemble an XF?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Around 5 /6 days or so generally but yours may take longer because of all the extras :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pekem said:
Around 5 /6 days or so generally but yours may take longer because of all the extras :lol: :lol:
Must be an awful lot of extras I'm unaware of. :eek: When I visited Rolls Royce's Chichester factory five years ago they were assembling Phantoms in under three days. Of course the body shells had already spent some time the paint facility.

·
Registered
281 Posts
penultimateblack said:
Does anybody know how many hours it takes to assemble an XF?
All I know is mine will be approx 7 days after yours, so lets hope not too long!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Pekem, that's interesting.

I am a member of that forum from my previous incarnation as a BMW driver, and seem to remember they had a web site you could log onto and track the build of your car. Is anything like this possible with Jaguar? Be great if it was possible and a really good customer service offering.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This would be v helpful to have, especially after I have just been given the news that from build date (i have been given 20th March) it could be 2-3 weeks before I get 'Cham' - GUTTED :!: ..and as much as I cling to the hope Pekem is right saying it could be earlier, I'm starting to lose faith :cry:

·
Registered
281 Posts
XF FX said:
This would be v helpful to have, especially after I have just been given the news that from build date (i have been given 20th March) it could be 2-3 weeks before I get 'Cham' - GUTTED :!: ..and as much as I cling to the hope Pekem is right saying it could be earlier, I'm starting to lose faith :cry:
Hang in there Cleo! From what I've been told, and talking to penultimateblack, it seems 2 weeks is about right but shouldn't be longer than that.

The main thing that holds up delivery is the transportation of the car as they have to get a sensible route for the transporter to make his drops, and they want it to be full load when he sets off from the factory. Of course you could be one of the lucky ones whose car makes up the last one of the load and then delivery could well be quicker :D

Looks like it's just pot luck I'm afraid. I'm in a similar position now with my build date on Friday, fingers crossed it's sooner than expected for both of us.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi all. Spoke to dealer today and was told my car wont be here this week after all :( Given some story that despite being built the cars are being held back especially the S's, really not sure I believe this but there you go what can you do?

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
DeKay said:
Hi all. Spoke to dealer today and was told my car wont be here this week after all :( Given some story that despite being built the cars are being held back especially the S's, really not sure I believe this but there you go what can you do?
Again, I don't want to raise false hopes, Heaven only knows what it will do to XF FX but I am not convinced that the information you get is up to the minute and "kosher". Do they actually speak to someone that is fully in the know, look on a computer screen that can change in an instant, listen to factory gossip or just come up with a story :?: Sounds all very improbable to me :eek:

·
Registered
76 Posts
pekem said:
DeKay said:
Again, I don't want to raise false hopes, Heaven only knows what it will do to XF FX but I am not convinced that the information you get is up to the minute and "kosher". Do they actually speak to someone that is fully in the know, look on a computer screen that can change in an instant, listen to factory gossip or just come up with a story :?: Sounds all very improbable to me :eek:
Indeed - just gotta keep the faith!

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Also, being an old cynic, I would not be surprised to discover that pressure is coming from the workshop to delay a large number of PDI's for the sales department. It is reasonable to imagine that at this time of the year there is a fight for workshop time and a PDI for a new XF is not a ten minute job by any means. What would you do if you were the Service Manager, responsible for the profitability of the workshops; allow the Sales Dept to ride roughshod over your regular customer bookings or keep your own customers on side. I know what I would do ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
BBC/Coventry. Jaguar staff opt to take a one year pay freeze and a four day week. Hope this doesn't delay our delivery dates :cry:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DeKay said:
There could be something in it. Yesterday morning (Wednesday) my car and the dealer's demonstrator, which is also an S model Portfolio, were shown as completed, but won't be delivered until next Tuesday.

·
Registered
76 Posts
penultimateblack said:
DeKay said:
There could be something in it. Yesterday morning (Wednesday) my car and the dealer's demonstrator, which is also an S model Portfolio, were shown as completed, but won't be delivered until next Tuesday.
Well let's just hope that there's no further delay, it's like moving Christmas back a week!

·
Registered
176 Posts
DeKay said:
penultimateblack said:
DeKay said:
Well let's just hope that there's no further delay, it's like moving Christmas back a week!
I think a better analogy would be waiting for childbirth :!: you have a due date - and sometimes get a surprise by it coming early - but in truth you could be waiting for anything up to 2 weeks later; :eek: at least you know Christmas will be here on 25th, it just seems to take ages to get there :!: I want a premature baby :!: :!:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer rang this morning to tell me the delivery date has slipped from the 10th to the 16th March. The Jag computer is showing a "gate hold" whatever that means.

·
Registered
176 Posts
penultimateblack said:
My dealer rang this morning to tell me the delivery date has slipped from the 10th to the 16th March. The Jag computer is showing a "gate hold" whatever that means.
i couldnt think of anything worse than to hear that the day before collection :eek: I wonder if this is going to be the same 'across the board' for buids and deliveries - talk about feeling guttted :!: :!:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
penultimateblack said:
Maybe John, and you would know all about it, the term has been borrowed from the aviation industry :!:
Modified for Jaguar :lol:
GATE HOLD PROCEDURES- Procedures at factories to hold cars at the gate or other ground location whenever departure delays exceed or are anticipated to exceed XXX days. The sequence for departure will be maintained in accordance with initial call-up unless modified by flow control restrictions. :cry:
http://dictionary.babylon.com/Gate_Hold_Procedure

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pekem said:
penultimateblack said:
Maybe John, and you would know all about it, the term has been borrowed from the aviation industry :!:
Modified for Jaguar :lol:
GATE HOLD PROCEDURES- Procedures at factories to hold cars at the gate or other ground location whenever departure delays exceed or are anticipated to exceed XXX days. The sequence for departure will be maintained in accordance with initial call-up unless modified by flow control restrictions. :cry:
http://dictionary.babylon.com/Gate_Hold_Procedure
In other words my car has gone the equivalent of AOG. COG - car on ground awaiting spares. I suspect they could be waiting for a replacement part to be re-manufactured due to a quality control problem. My dealer has assured me that Jaguar cannot afford any further delays because it would completely screw up the dealers March sales programme. Better go fishin again!

1 - 20 of 187 Posts