XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly to clarify I love my new car but after 3 weeks (1,400 miles) there are a few annoyances about the XF:

1. Closing the boot, if you use the inside handle you have to use super human strength to swing it enough to close, otherwise it either doesn’t close properly or you get your hand wet when it rains, which wont be fun in the winter with all the road film.
2. Interior storage cubby space, pretty awful for a premium large car, firstly you have your keys, the by the time you have stuffed in your wallet and mobile you’ve filled the 2 cup holder, also why no sunglasses holder in the roof?, I drove a hire Kia in Germany last week with better storage.
3. Instrument needle bounce, poor damping the in needles mean they constantly flicker.
4. Turbo lag, some situations seem to take an eternity for the turbo to spool up even if you floor it. I think this is the most disappointing aspect of eth car, it’s slow.
5. Silver paint on the steering wheel already rubbed off around the cruise resume button.
6. Sat Nav, probably the most useless one I have ever used, what logic it uses to calculate routs is a mystery, best to look at a map drive as close to the destination as you can and then switch it on.
7. TMC, must stand for Two Motorvehicles Close, as soon as you get 2 cars in a 500m radius it seems to flag up traffic ahead, best just to ignore it.

Other that that I love it, I’m definitely going to get a DMS remap to sort the performance as that is my biggest gripe.

I guess I might get flamed by a few of you, but then when I see the average XF driver they seem into their 50’s and the 2 I have spoke to have no problems. I’m 37, have had Audi’s, BMW’s and a XJ6 8 years ago that I loved to bits. Perhaps I am critical but then if Jag want to beat BMW they still have a few items to address.

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Ross
well i'm in the same situation as far as 3 weeks old car and mileage.
I face some of the issues you mention as well but they don't bother me so much at present.
I would have to really disagree about the age of the average xf driver. Not because I am 31 but I have seen many other under 40s people driving them, certainly a good 20 years less average age than an xj driver.
Personally what bothers me most is the fual consumption. With mixed driving and mainly A roads and motorways I am averaging 31-32 mpg. I would understand the problem in town driving but it's far too low for me. I didn't think I would achieve 37mpg average like Jag says but was hoping to be closer to 35.
Maybe the 19" wheels don't help or air con on but then again 99% it's only me in the car. With 4 adults on I would have no chance of going over 30mpg. I still don't understand how this other chap in this forum saw over 40mpg on a trip to Germany.
ck1

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
rclifford said:
Firstly to clarify I love my new car( That is good news) but after 3 weeks (1,400 miles) there are a few annoyances about the XF:

1. Closing the boot, if you use the inside handle you have to use super human strength to swing it enough to close, otherwise it either doesn’t close properly or you get your hand wet when it rains, which wont be fun in the winter with all the road film. Don't really understand what problem you are having here, mine closes perfectly well.2. Interior storage cubby space, pretty awful for a premium large car, firstly you have your keys, the by the time you have stuffed in your wallet and mobile you’ve filled the 2 cup holder, also why no sunglasses holder in the roof?, I drove a hire Kia in Germany last week with better storage.
Why not remove the cup holder, as others have done, and create a useful space?
3. Instrument needle bounce, poor damping the in needles mean they constantly flicker.4. Again, take it in for test by Jaguar Turbo lag, some situations seem to take an eternity for the turbo to spool up even if you floor it. I think this is the most disappointing aspect of eth car, it’s slow.
5. Silver paint on the steering wheel already rubbed off around the cruise resume button. Plainly, with such a low mileage, Jaguar willl surely be happy to replace it if it is a result of normal use[/color].
6. Sat Nav, probably the most useless one I have ever used, what logic it uses to calculate routs is a mystery, best to look at a map drive as close to the destination as you can and then switch it on. Jaguar are presently working on a fix for this which is troubling other manufacturers, some of whom are thought to be German!7. TMC, must stand for Two Motorvehicles Close, as soon as you get 2 cars in a 500m radius it seems to flag up traffic ahead, best just to ignore it. Mine works well,albeit, the information is not as comprehensive as I would like but that is a matter for Trafficmaster and the Radio station perhaps.

Other that that I love it, I’m definitely going to get a DMS remap to sort the performance as that is my biggest gripe. Why not firstly talk to Jaguar to discover if your car is underperforming before potentially invalidating your warranty Start here:
[email protected]

Telephone (UK number)

0845 3032303

I guess I might get flamed by a few of you, but then when I see the average XF driver they seem into their 50’s and the 2 I have spoke to have no problems. I’m 37, have had Audi’s, BMW’s and a XJ6 8 years ago that I loved to bits. Perhaps I am critical but then if Jag want to beat BMW they still have a few items to address.Cheers Jaguar have beaten BMW in numerous Car Journal road tests and I do not think that they have it mind to overhaul BMW production volumes, satisfying themselves with having been voted "Car of the year"

Ross

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
ck1 said:
Hi Ross
well i'm in the same situation as far as 3 weeks old car and mileage.
I face some of the issues you mention as well but they don't bother me so much at present.
I would have to really disagree about the age of the average xf driver. Not because I am 31 but I have seen many other under 40s people driving them, certainly a good 20 years less average age than an xj driver.
Personally what bothers me most is the fual consumption. With mixed driving and mainly A roads and motorways I am averaging 31-32 mpg. I would understand the problem in town driving but it's far too low for me. I didn't think I would achieve 37mpg average like Jag says but was hoping to be closer to 35.
Maybe the 19" wheels don't help or air con on but then again 99% it's only me in the car. With 4 adults on I would have no chance of going over 30mpg. I still don't understand how this other chap in this forum saw over 40mpg on a trip to Germany.
ck1
Interesting thing is that recently I had the ECU subjected to what was described as a "Hard Reset", words of Jaguar Assistance, and from that time on the fuel consumption has gone up by around 10% :lol:
Prior to the reset, and after around 6000 mixed miles, urban, motorway and good deal of windy B Roads, I was noticing that the indicator took quite a stretch of road, maybe a motorway journey, before I saw the consumption figure improve. It would climb up from say,33 to 34/5 mpg but at a slow rate. Now, after the reset the meter is responding almost instantaneously, bit of an exageration that, but it is certainly responding at a rate that I can watch the figure improve almost by the mile. Conversely, if I get stuck in town traffic it drops like a stone. Presently it it showing 36.7 and I have had it up to 38.2, but on that occasion my journey came to an end and so I was not able to improve it. I can imagine that, as was reported on a German run recently a figure of in excess of 40mpg would be displayed. Of course, the question is begged, did Jaguar Assistance cause, abeit unwittingly, an improvement or was it that the original situation was the correct performance. I suppose the correct thing is to record mileage and fuel purchased amounts and then do the maths. At the moment I am inclined to go with the perceived 10% + improvement ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
rclifford said:
but then when I see the average XF driver they seem into their 50’s and the 2 I have spoke to have no problems. I’m 37,
And the relevance of age is?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Annoyances

A brief message flashed on the screen yesterday when I started up for my 178 mile trip to Liverpool (& back !). Got there OK and picked up friends to go to the local Weatherspoons for a fry-up. Reversed into a parking space and whacked the wall at my rear. No parking sensor warning ! The mysterious half-a-second message turned out to be that 'they aren't working, so go to the dealer' !! Gee thanks.

And why do we have to stare at the written warning about low brake pads for 3 months before they actually need changing ?

And why can't we limit or stop the annoying seatbelt warning sound ??

Any solutions ?

Grrrrrrr

Other car: 1988 Alfa Romeo 2.0 spider QV....much less annoying!

·
Registered
188 Posts
A brief message flashed on the screen yesterday when I started up for my 178 mile trip to Liverpool (& back !). Got there OK and picked up friends to go to the local Weatherspoons for a fry-up. Reversed into a parking space and whacked the wall at my rear. No parking sensor warning ! The mysterious half-a-second message turned out to be that 'they aren't working, so go to the dealer' !! Gee thanks.

And why do we have to stare at the written warning about low brake pads for 3 months before they actually need changing ?

And why can't we limit or stop the annoying seatbelt warning sound ?? Any solutions ?
1) We should read the messages on any car, not an XF problem, although the brief display time is an issue.
2) No experience of low brake pad warning on the XF, but on other cars I had them changed sooner rather than later.
3) Seat belt ping is really annoying - solution is to buy and fit a seat belt extender - a few to pick from here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Seat-Belt-Extender-buckle/dp/B005OPE7JQ - upwards from £5

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
The trunk lid cannot be closed without putting one hand on the top of the lid. In inclement weather this results in dirt on your hand or glove.

The double cupholder insert can no longer be removed conveniently without leaving a hole in the bottom of the console cubby. Since this is where I put my sunglasses (I don't drink and drive so cupholders are a completely pointless accessory for me, and I dislike having anyone else in the car who wishes to drink while I'm driving, keeping the liquid in the cup is the challenge) this revision to the interior is annoying. My 09 was better in this respect as the insert simply popped out leaving a much more useable space.

Interior cubby space is very poor in the XF.

The Satnav is laughably incompetent although not as laughably incompetent as the one in my Subaru BRZ. Fortunately, I have no need of Satnav here: if I wish to travel East or West I find highway 1 and take a quick glance at the sun....if I wish to travel north or south I find highway 2... Very occasionally I need to use highway 3. There is no highway 4.

I have a supercharger so I experience no turbo lag but the 8 spd is strangely slow to kick down while in D. I must assume this is some fuel economy artifact and it is very annoying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts