XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gather the Which? Car review has found that the XF is among the least reliable cars reviewed (along with the S Type and LR Dicovery). I believe that the Audi A5 was the worst performer.

Am I missing something here? I've had mine for 11 months now and no real problems apart the niggles with filler flap etc. Also having been a keen supporter of this forum since well before I took delivery, apart from the 'Duff Diff' guys I dont recall too many complaints on reliability.

It may be that these results are based on older data - maybe collected from very early models (if it also includes the S Type)

Anybody else disappointed with this review?

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
andrewll I was disapointed with this review when I first read it. However, when I looked closer I discovered that Which were only able to find 75 owners to respond.
We know very well that this forum is the place to air a grievance and not surprisingly it looks as if the same thing has happened over at Which. In other words the report is tosh :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My March 2008 2.7 PL had several quality control problems which resulted in five visits to the dealer, who sorted them out relatively easily. It's replacement, a March 2009 3.0S Portfolio, has only suffered from one small rattle which was caused by not using the EPB for two weeks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Had mine 6 weeks/2.0k so "touch wood" :D - no issues :) what so ever the car currently is an absolute dream - long may it continue Richard

·
Registered
306 Posts
My car goes in to the dealers on Monday for a couple of days its the 13th trip to the dealers in its first year (sort out rattles) , only 1 trip was not a warranty issue (its 1st Service last week). Still love the car, am I nuts?

gary

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
garyxf said:
My car goes in to the dealers on Monday for a couple of days its the 13th trip to the dealers in its first year (sort out rattles) , only 1 trip was not a warranty issue (its 1st Service last week). Still love the car, am I nuts?

gary
I wonder Gary if you would have fared better with your car if you had covered more mileage in a shorter time; what is the mileage on your car now, 5000 yet :?:

·
Registered
306 Posts
pekem said:
garyxf said:

gary
I wonder Gary if you would have fared better with your car if you had covered more mileage in a shorter time; what is the mileage on your car now, 5000 yet :?:

Its only done 2650, all the work done on the car was from faults etc that were there from day 1 or work undertaken from faults that came from that work. (Look at it this way there may have been more faults if more mileage had been put on the car) The rattles they are going to fix I left and was going to get them seen to on the first service (they have had the car for 2 months out of 12), they wanted more time (after hearing them)therefore I booked it in for mon/tues, this is hopefully leaving me with a fault free car. Surprisingly after a bad start the cardiff dealer has been very good even more so since I bought it from Peterboro in the first place.

gary

For all you would be XF owners do not let me put you off the car was a Friday afternoon car all manufactureres have them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was not one of the Which? respondents, but my car has been very unreliable. It's a March 07 2.7D PL.

I also like the car, and driving it, but I have reported its long times off the road.

I have kept notes of all the problems, time it took to fix them, phone calls, etc etc and those notes now run to over 3000 [three thousand] words. The notes started as problems were not fixed, I would speak to one person, then another and I had to keep track of it all.

I previously drove a Lexus, which gave no problems over many years, and the Lexus service standards would teach Jaguar dealers a great deal. Many companies monitor forums and use them to learn, and even to contact disgruntled customers. Not Jaguar.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
618 Posts
Mine has not so much been unreliable but just not well finished so they had to repair the door trim, windscreen and connect the heated wheel after delivery and then ive had things like the fuel flap, grooved rotors, delaminating wheel centres, peeling key fob, sat nav being rubbish (like everyone) but now I do have reliability problem with the gearbox. Yes me car was an early one but im not sure it will see two years tenure with me to be honest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Jaguar management may not monitor forums but some shopfloor workers do including myself. We do get to read letters of complaints from customers; they range from small rattles to larger issues such as mechanical breakdowns. Most problems arise from early design faults that are improved over the shortest possible time but we do take every fault seriously. If for instance a fault is down to operator error then that operator will be disciplined and the rest of the work team is then briefed and made aware of the problem. However not all problems are down to Jag workers, they sometimes arise through outside supplier faults such as electrical components. The rest of the components are then tested and if necessary re-engineered and then modified.

I’m not in anyway trying to justify Jaguar for any faults found by customers, I just wish some dealers would take these issues more seriously even if that means falling out with Jaguar customer support. Sometimes I think they try to deal with the problem themselves and not even bother to relay the problem to the factory.

I have been with the company now for 25 years and have seen huge improvements made in quality over the years but complacency is not an option for anyone working in the car industry. Our future depends on our customer’s satisfaction and that is why we take your views seriously.

I have an XF on order for September 1st and have already tracked my cars build date 17th August and arranged with my boss for me to monitor its progress down the line. I have confidence in the workforce and that’s why I am spending my hard earned savings on a car that 25 years ago I could only have dreamed of. If I find any faults during ownership of this car I will expect only the best support from my dealer or Help me God! I will be kicking someone’s sorry arse all over the shopfloor.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Well said jagworker :)
You and your colleagues can rest assured that most XF owners are really happy and are enjoying the experience of ownership.
Evidence for that comes also from the fact that quite a few members here, I am one, decided to trade in our 2.7 car for the new 3.00.

It was the case that the XF 2.7 did display a number of design faults or parts failures early on but as you have said the issues were addressed and corrected fairly quickly.
I do think that when this subject is discussed here, and this is of course not the first time, there is a danger that the standards of Jaguar and the dealer are conflated.
So often in the earlier threads, the posts have acknowledged that the work done, or not done, by the dealer is at the root of the dissatisfaction but alas, Jaguar then suffers.
I had an S Type before buying the XF and in all the period of ownership I would have been able to make the same comment about both Jaguar and the dealers as Tone the Bone made about the Lexus.

I might add, that this forum is monitored by Jaguar, I know this because in the past I have been asked to remove the name of Jaguar staff members if published. I also know that Jaguar do not subscribe to forums and so it will not happen that they will engage with anyone concerning a particular issue but they do invite customers to contact them if there is a matter of concern at [email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
jagworker said:
Jaguar management may not monitor forums but some shopfloor workers do including myself. We do get to read letters of complaints from customers; they range from small rattles to larger issues such as mechanical breakdowns. Most problems arise from early design faults that are improved over the shortest possible time but we do take every fault seriously. If for instance a fault is down to operator error then that operator will be disciplined and the rest of the work team is then briefed and made aware of the problem. However not all problems are down to Jag workers, they sometimes arise through outside supplier faults such as electrical components. The rest of the components are then tested and if necessary re-engineered and then modified.

I’m not in anyway trying to justify Jaguar for any faults found by customers, I just wish some dealers would take these issues more seriously even if that means falling out with Jaguar customer support. Sometimes I think they try to deal with the problem themselves and not even bother to relay the problem to the factory.

I have been with the company now for 25 years and have seen huge improvements made in quality over the years but complacency is not an option for anyone working in the car industry. Our future depends on our customer’s satisfaction and that is why we take your views seriously.

I have an XF on order for September 1st and have already tracked my cars build date 17th August and arranged with my boss for me to monitor its progress down the line. I have confidence in the workforce and that’s why I am spending my hard earned savings on a car that 25 years ago I could only have dreamed of. If I find any faults during ownership of this car I will expect only the best support from my dealer or Help me God! I will be kicking someone’s sorry arse all over the shopfloor.
I like your attitude Jagworker, I also work in the auto industry supplying transmissions to a wide range of vehicles. Like your colleagues we take customer satisfaction seriously.

Back to the thread, my XF was one of the earlier ones, and yes there have been some slight issues which have been resolved promptly. But I also allow some tolerance due to it being a new build. All manufactures try to get it right first time, but as something complex as a car with parts from different suppliers it is not always possible.

However, I believe jaguar have worked hard and fast to rid this great car of all faults.

so keep up the good work

Hugh

·
Registered
303 Posts
No car is bullet proof (despite what some manufacturers claim)/
I have no mechanical issues with my car at all, but have had a rattle and some damage caused by the supplying dealer.
The dealer will NEVER see my car again once they fix the damage they caused. They are simply dreadful and on a par with Fiat/Alfa dealers.
I am struggling to find a decent alternative within a 40 mile radius.
I will be talking to Jaguar directly again tomorrow who have been incredibly supportive.
I think if Jaguar are to be successful, they need to get their dealers up to scratch, or ditch them.
Better to have fewer, high quality dealers than the numpties I have used.

They don't deserve the cars or the customers and the sooner they have neither the better :evil:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a thought, have you tried Lancaster in Reading (you will now tell me that they are the culprits) I have used them to buy a used Jaguar and they were excellent. I have bought two new Jaguars from Lancaster in Sevenoaks and I find them really the best dealer of any make I have ever dealt with - both their sales and service departments.

My XF 3.0S PL has been without issue apart from a rattle which was cured by an accident I had in France, but that is another story.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Foxtrot said:
My XF 3.0S PL has been without issue apart from a rattle which was cured by an accident I had in France, but that is another story.
Do tell! My minor rattle (clink) started a week after I stopped applying the EPB and disappeared once I started using it again.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Foxtrot, you guessed it, Lancaster have been the culprits.
Always too busy to see me, never call back, and claim to have carried out work that clearly hasn't happened (faulty part clearly in view and unable to find the duff unit in a bin)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts