XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 3.0 V6, but that's short on torque. Being such a new car, there doesn't seem to be much information on chipping the car.

Can anyone suggest what may be done to increase the low-end torque, say by up to 10%, if not more?

Under general use, the V6 is a fine lump - quiet and smooth - but there are times when I mash the accelerator from rest and grandma appears to run faster! I believe the same gearbox (and ratios) are used in all variants of XFs and the V6 is just not up to the job.

Had hoped for a SV8 but the difference is a prohibitive £33k. The regular V8 isn't an option here in Singapore.

Thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same reaction when the car was brand new; 5,000 kms on, I can now say that I am quite satisfied and it is much "punchier" than my same sized engine S Type.
However, I tend to stay in "S" and I do use the paddles when I am off the highway...

·
Registered
618 Posts
pekem said:
Do please forgive my ignorance; what exactly is Chipping :?:
reprogramming the ECU so as to change the power charactaristics of the car. It can generally also up the power etc.

An example.....

DMS automotive is a well respected "remapping" company that will "chip" your ECU for (on the XF diesel) around 800 pounds. This ups the power to near 250 bhp and has a similar increase in torque across the range. Thus the car should feel more alive as its removed some of the tolerances set in by the manufacturer.

However, if done while under warranty it will invalidate your warranty

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
craig said:
pekem said:
Do please forgive my ignorance; what exactly is Chipping :?:
reprogramming the ECU so as to change the power charactaristics of the car. It can generally also up the power etc.

An example.....

DMS automotive is a well respected "remapping" company that will "chip" your ECU for (on the XF diesel) around 800 pounds. This ups the power to near 250 bhp and has a similar increase in torque across the range. Thus the car should feel more alive as its removed some of the tolerances set in by the manufacturer.

However, if done while under warranty it will invalidate your warranty
Thanks much! Will contact DMS Automotive.

Roy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marc said:
I had the same reaction when the car was brand new; 5,000 kms on, I can now say that I am quite satisfied and it is much "punchier" than my same sized engine S Type.
However, I tend to stay in "S" and I do use the paddles when I am off the highway...
My XF drinks petrol like there's no tomorrow. 'S' mode is used sparingly. Not too many motorways here, unfortunately.

Ro

·
Registered
294 Posts
What an interesting debate.

It sounds as if one is basically having a bet with Jaguar that, after chipping, nothing will go wrong within the now-invalid warranty period; high stakes, surely, because if anything does it can mean big money?

Does Jaguar invalidate the warranty simply because the work is done by someone else, or because they believe that there is something intrinsically undesirable or even potentially dangerous about the procedure?

Finally, if they DON'T have those reservations, why don't they offer this as an option (and, by the sound of it it, not an expensive one at that)?

Oh yes, one other thing - can the same be done for diesels? No prizes for guessing what my XF will be, though I'm far too cautious to risk the process. I think.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Re my previous - delete the last question, which I now see that craig has answered. Apologies - I'm not just trying to up my post count, honest guv. :cool:

·
Registered
618 Posts
It doesnt automatically invalidate your warranty. Jaguar would have to be able to show that the modification contributed to the fault for them not to honour the warranty.

The reason they are not offered or backed by the manufacturer is this.....

The "remap" changes the programme of the ECU. The standard programme is designed as such to be a compromise between fuel consumption, emissions, performance and longevity. The engine as standard are tested to last 10 years or 200k with only routine maintainance. Therefore the ECU is set in such a way that it preserves the engine. This gives quite a margin between power and torque the engine CAN achieve and what Jaguar ALLOW it to achieve. The diesel for instance is 207bhp. A remap from somewhere like DMS will take that to 250 or close. Therefore pretty much 45 bhp or 20% extra power is released. Good tuners will still leave a decent margin (the diesel could probably go to 275) so as to protect the engine BUT it is important to recognise that the engine once remapped will not be necessarily as robust as before as everything is getting extra pressure (depending on how you drive). Strangely enough the process often improves MPG slightly but I am not sure what it does to emissions.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a 1997 BMW 523i (E39) chipped by the local distributor of SuperChips. The engine started to knock about 3 years after chipping.

Extensive examination by the local BMW distributor revealed nothing amiss, including the knock sensors. It was suggested that a piston ring was stuck but I never got the engine taken apart to that extent as the car was a company issue. It was eventually replaced by an X5 in 2003 - which was never chipped. The X5 has since, thankfully,
'evolved' into the XF - an executive dream on wheels, with the exception of the provision of motive force.

I am also open to other means of upping the power/torque, like a supercharger or turbocharger. Been chewing on those electric blowers that sit between the airbox and intake plenum. A local company installs those with apparent improvements in performance in the rev-band that needs it most. I've read opinions on both sides of the fence and am a little undecided. I could tell the installer I want my money back in the event of non-delivery, the only expense being time spent.

On the the other hand, I could wait for the engine to mature and see what happens then.

Thanks!

Roy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts