XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought a new XF, but I have a question about oil consumption. Is it normal that the oil level bar goes from 3/4 at 8 miles to now just 1/2 at 75 miles?
Furthermore, I had expected the bar to be 1/1 when recieving the car, but that was not the case.
Any experience with that subject?

hh

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum, heogh :)
I can't help you on this matter, I am waiting for my XF 3.00 to be delivered but I know some people who will have a view; and they will be along in due course. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I didn't check the oil level when I took delivery of my XF in mid March as I didn't know the dip stick had been done away with. My first oil level check was done at around 1000 miles when the bar was showing about 95% full. It has remained at this level until today and the car has now covered 3600 miles.

Was your engine hot or cold and did you allow enough time for the oil to drain back into the sump before you checked the level?

To view the current oil level, allow 5 minutes
after stopping the engine (to allow the oil level
to stabilise)
, then press the TRIP button on the
end of the left column stalk repeatedly, until the
oil can icon is displayed at the bottom of the
message centre.

·
Registered
303 Posts
heogh, If you achieve the same reading folloing penultimateblacks advice I'd take it to the dealer.
My 3.0D has covered 3600 miles and shows 3/4 full.
I asked a dealer last week how much oil the car consumes. He said his experience was they can be thirsty in the first 1000 miles or so, and burn 1 to 3 litres. After that, he says the engine consumes far less and may only need one maybe two litres between services.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the answers - I now realize, that it's a must to have spareoil in the car, when you travel in Europe.

hans

1 - 7 of 7 Posts