XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new on this site and keen to see if you can help me help a member of my family in his XF dilemma!

Hes keen to buy an XF and went for a test drive in a dealers 2.7D which he loved.. but my uncle is switched on enough to know about the 3.0D engine just launched and he is keen to know how much better the 3.0D is compared to the 2.7.. has anyone here traded 'up' their XF and what would they recommend...

My thoughts are that the performance of the 3.0D would be significantly better than the 2.7 ( based on old S-Type driving experience - so that may be a little harsh )... but Im conscious of the larger wheel / more sporty set up of the 3.0D might make it a bit less comfortable for day to day driving...

I will be grateful of any assistance.. Thanks

PS... Im very jealous of my uncles dilemma!

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum XFCONVERT :)
In no time at all you will be told by the people that have done just that, traded in and up for a 3.00, how much difference they have noticed.
Just wait and see if I am not right ;)

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
pekem said:
In no time at all you will be told by the people that have done just that, traded in and up for a 3.00, how much difference they have noticed.
Well it seems that I was wrong; nobody it seems that traded up feels moved to comment. :oops:
Tell your family member to consider getting the XF 2.7D and then look at possibly remapping etc with Spires
viewforum.php?f=39

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
pekem said:
Well it seems that I was wrong; nobody it seems that traded up feels moved to comment. :oops:
Tell your family member to consider getting the XF 2.7D and then look at possibly remapping etc with Spires
http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=39
I will accept the challenge Peter with my first impressions of the 3.0D S after four weeks of ownership. I don't know about the 3.0D models, but I can honestly say there is no contest as far as the S is concerned. Forget the 2.7D, this car is so much better. My concern about a harsh ride on 20" wheels was unfounded. I understand Jaguar has altered the damper/spring setup because the new car on 20" wheels is as comfortable as my 2.7D was on 18" rims. Only very sharp ruts catch it out at slow speeds. The steering feels sharper and the handling more secure on the 255/35 20" Dunlops. The car is also quieter with less wind noise thanks to the redesigned exterior mirrors and an accoustic layer on the windscreen. The front seats are considerably more comfortable due to a secondary frame which accommodates the cooling system on Portfolio models. Other improvements like the Navigation and Oil Contents displays on the message centre make life easier. The considerable increase in power, which seems to surge on for ever, has made the car safer and even more enjoyable to drive. According to my dealer the residuals should also be better.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
SpiresST said:
To be clear the suspension of the 3.0D is exactly the same as the 2.7D, all the part numbers are the same. For info the same suspension is used on the 3.0V6, 2.7D, 4.2V8, 3.0D and 5.0V8.
The Sales Manager at my dealer has driven all the different versions of XF and is convinced the set up is different as the 3.0 D S cars on 20" wheels seem to give a more comfortable ride than the 4.2 V8's on similar sized wheels. Maybe a slightly different weight distribution has something to do with it. Anyway, I'm more than happy with the ride. Another thing I have noticed is the surfaces on the brake discs are all shiny smooth after 1000 miles whereas the discs on my 2.7 had collected some serious grooves before reaching 300 miles. Admittedly they were replaced under warranty, but the grooves soon returned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for taking up the challenge John... I'll recommend the 3.0D S to my uncle and see what happens.. seems that the 3.0D is a good improvement over an already outstanding car!..

Much appreciated

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi and welcome
Just to endorse John's comments as another who's traded up from the 2.7d to a 3.0DS, there is simply no comparison. Shortly after taking delivery of a launch 2.7 I was concerned about the gap in power delivery at roundabouts and overtaking so I spoke to the service manager at my dealership and we went for a test drive together. Without admitting so much he agreed that there were shortcomings and that I wasn't the first to notice it.
Now the good news. The 3.0DS rectifies this fundamental problem and turns it into the car it always should have been. It is simply a different vehicle.
In addition to this there are all of the other benefits mentioned above, but most of all it's about the engine and for those who had X5's the difference between original and facelift was astonishing and Jaguar have achieved the same with the new 3.0DS.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The suspension settings between the 2.7 and 3.0d models is unchanges, spires is correct. Also, the cooling element frame in the seat actually makes the seat less forgiving.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
craig said:
The suspension settings between the 2.7 and 3.0d models is unchanges, spires is correct. Also, the cooling element frame in the seat actually makes the seat less forgiving.
That is why Mrs PUB and I find the front seats more comfortable and supportive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well - a long time since I started this thread but just to let you know my uncle bought and has received a 3.0D portfolio.. arrived a week or so ago and I had a little passenger ride today.. tis the 'mutts nuts' and I'm suprised there aren't loads more of them on the roads.. dont people know what they are missing?? - keep spreading the word folks!!!

Thanks for your advice

:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
We don't want too spread the word to much - or else they will be as common as those BMW things ! :lol:

Glad I'm trading in my 530d for a nice new (rare) 3.0D S Portfolio - yummy !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts