·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can help...

XF 2011 (2012)
2.2 Ford engine.

My 2011(2012my) 2.2 diesel doesn’t like starting in the cold but who does? . Anywhere around 2 or below or if it’s been left for 2 or 3 days it almost refuses to start.

Glow plug light comes on, engine turns and again and again stutters and then cranks again until it fires and then runs like it’s on two cylinders - bloody awful until I turn it off and it then starts perfectly.

I can fool the car by waiting for the car glow plug light to go out and releasing the brake and then I try again. Sometimes 2 or 3 times and then it fires up sweet as a nut as expected.

so obviously bad glow plugs? Changed them for 4x new Bosch plugs. No difference. Horrible job made almost impossible without stripping the manifold. I didn’t do that but managed it anyway.

I then changed the fuel filter and this did nothing except test the starter motor for 5 minutes before it fired up but it makes zero improvement to cold starting. Do these cars have an electric fuel pump? I suspect not or it’s faulty.

On a warm evening or if it’s warm the car starts instantly every time but not when it’s at or below zero.

I will pop the Jaguar diagnostics on it tomorrow to see if it finds anything but I’m very unimpressed with these Ford engines. I see focus and Mondeo owners moan about the same thing. I wish I’d bought a 3.0 even though it’s a Ford as well but my S type never failed to start in 7 years.

Any insight would be helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same issue. My car sits all week as I work away. At the minute with it being so cold it just really struggles. Unfortunately I don’t have an answer to the issue but I’d be really grateful for updates in your own situation...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I’m thinking either air in the system/fuel or glow plug timing/temp sensor. I haven’t had chance to look today but I’ll connect it up to the diagnostics as well as ask a few questions. It seems this engine has issues in Fords too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I’m thinking either air in the system/fuel or glow plug timing/temp sensor. I haven’t had chance to look today but I’ll connect it up to the diagnostics as well as ask a few questions. It seems this engine has issues in Fords too.
It’s hard to believe it to be an engine issue. Only because a friend of mine is now onto his second Mondeo with no issues. But this morning leaving my house in the lovely early hours and freezing conditions my car started fine although I had been out in it yesterday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally sorted this out. It turns out the MAF / MAS air flow sensor was failing but I didn’t show any faults nor did the diags find it but it did so an error code once and briefly indicating the mass air flow sensor fault but that disappeared on the next reading. After checking the codes over two weeks, that MAS error code never return but I ordered one anyway and now the car starts almost instantly every morning even at -4 the other morning.

It’s a Ford part but check your part number before ordering obviously.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 weekly update. No further starting issues. Even at-3 after a weekend of not being used it started first turn. Slight lumpyness for 2 seconds then cleared. Apart from that it starts every time on the button.

Ignition on,Foot on brake, press button and release. Starts after 3 seconds or so. I would imagine that’s normal.

:) I’ll pop a video on my YouTube channel and show the difference it’s made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts