XF Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes xf 2.0 portfolio has come up with this message again, 4th time in 2 years,, probably because we live in a very rural location, no dual carriageways near, lots of very narrow bendy roads and and single track roads, can anyone suggest a way of clearing message without having to travel around 50 miles to the nearest dual carriageway?of any length so she can keep revs above 2k for the required time?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All but first time it came on was able to clear fault by a blast along a motorway, this time the nearest stretch is about 60 miles away, so the problem with doing that woul be the milage to no restart would be down to 370 ish miles if it did not work (50 miles each way to motorwayand about 30 each way on motorway) and the Jag dealership is nearly 70 miles from us if it needs to go in' ah the joys of living in rural Leitrim At first couldn't work out how to keep car from changing up but managed by selecting dynamic and sports modes. did that this afternoon, selected gears so manual change only,sat at around 2-3k for 25 minutes and another warning light came on,,, handbook says fault with emmisions control. will have a look tomorrow to see if I can see anything obvious still have def message as well Its gettingto the point where my wife is worried about actually driving it, now have.420 miles to no restart

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All but first time it came on was able to clear fault by a blast along a motorway, this time the nearest stretch is about 60 miles away, so the problem with doing that woul be the milage to no restart would be down to 370 ish miles if it did not work (50 miles each way to motorwayand about 30 each way on motorway) and the Jag dealership is nearly 70 miles from us if it needs to go in' ah the joys of living in rural Leitrim At first couldn't work out how to keep car from changing up but managed by selecting dynamic and sports modes. did that this afternoon, selected gears so manual change only,sat at around 2-3k for 25 minutes and another warning light came on,,, handbook says fault with emmisions control. will have a look tomorrow to see if I can see anything obvious. still have def message as well. Its getting to the point where my wife is worried about actually driving it, now have.420 miles to no restart

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning plugged in obd2 scanner doodat came up with code p20ee, so turned off car and came in to check what fault was,
first reference I found was P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold went back to car to check and warning light and code had disappeared We hadf to go to local village and about two miles after we left the message changed to def dosing malfunction, so we went for a run about 15 milesand a cuppa on the way home the error message dissappeared, Debby is still not happy and talking about changing the car for something with no electronics....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
original message was wrong def no engine restart in 550 miles,trying to clear this by keeping revs over 2k then engine /emmissions warning light came on, nex day used obd2 scanner (code was p20ee ) disconnected scanner and came in to check what it meant on pc, went back and restarted car, no warning light came on. plugged in scanner again , no fault code showing went to shop and wrong def message changed to Diese Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction so we took a longer drive stopped fot tea and cake, message was still present when we set of for home but dissappearred after about 10 minutes. Again plugged in obd2 scanner and no errors.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
aahaa!

Diese Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction
adblue injector getting dirty because of ad blue crystallization (pretty normal) or it's faulty in general. good garage will sort it out - either clean it or replace it. do it asap.

the counter 'no engine restart in xx miles' means engine literally wont start in however miles if this is not sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bik3rz, all messages have now cleared, and no fault codes read by obd2 scanner, will be away for a few days, but will strip and clean injector when I get back, meant to ask can def go off? just been told she bought last bottle at local perol station which I cant imagine has a high turnover so may have been on shelf for a while.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
few answers found on google
At constant temperatures up to 30 deg C the product will last a minimum of 12 months; at constant temperatures up to 35 deg C the shelf life is reduced to a minimum of 6 months.
AdBlue deteriorates over time. Never use AdBlue after its expiry date has passed and, unless you cover very high mileages, do not stockpile large quantities at home.
Ultra-violet light speeds-up AdBlue’s deterioration and this can damage your exhaust system’s delicate catalyst. Therefore, buying bottles that have been sitting outside a petrol forecourt may not be a good idea. Instead, look for bottles that have been stored indoors, or in the dark.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
all messages have now cleared, and no fault codes read by obd2 scanner
that would indicate (for me) it's not clogged for good, maybe bigger crystals went through it at the time. maybe it's better to clean it, drain tank and refill with fresh adblue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like a plan for when I get back too sore at minute, hit a patch of diesel on a damp road on an old Douglas motorcycle yesterday so have to do some repairs to that.
Thanks again for your help
Paul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts