XF Forum banner

Winter Tyres I have. This is my position on the matter

1 - 20 of 521 Posts

·
Administrator
22,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just see what the demand for a set of winter or all weather tyres on an XF is :lol:
The options above should give us a better picture of the possible demand one way or the other.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As with any poll, its hard to cover all potential responses - mine would be I am convinced of their merit, but am not yet convinced that the price is justifiable for the current climate (I live in Southern England).

All data I have seen shows they are more effective than standard tyres when the temperature drops below 7 degrees. Above 7 degrees, summer tyres are better. Historical Average daytime temperatures even in the coldest months are around the 7 - 8 degree mark, making a switch to winter tyres for me probably meaning that in normal average conditions, I would be on the wrong tyre the majority of the time.

Of course, current conditions prove my logic to be misguided, but it will probably take another dose of severe cold next year to convince me of a temperature trend change. In the meantime, I'll just take extra care or leave the car on the drive.

What options should I tick in the poll?

·
Administrator
22,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might find that the All Season Tyre, included as an option, is a better choice for the prevailing winter conditions in the UK. Temperatures above and below 7 degrees C are acceptable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I took the decision to try a set of winter tyres on SWMBO's Peugeot 107. (£330 for wheels and tyres complete + 15 mins to fit). Summer tyres now stored in the corner of the garage awaiting springtime.

These tyres have been a revelation and made the difference between getting to see our new Grandaughter in Newcastle (in all that snow) and being stranded at home.

I'm now seriously considering fitting a complete set of alloys and winter tyres on my XF 3.0S in October 2011. There's a big business opportunity for Jaguar here as I bought my XF in the certain knowledge that this excellent car would be compromised in snow, slush, ice etc.

I know that we're talking about a significant investment, but what price independence and safety, and what's the point in having a £45,000 car unusable for possibly one full month out of twelve?

Thanks finally to Pekem and all the other contributors to this topic and to the excellent XF forum in general.

·
Administrator
22,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The IAM is advising motorists planning to fit winter tyres to order them now to beat the rush.
In countries where severe winters are guaranteed, it is quite normal for drivers to switch to winter tyres. This is becoming more common in the UK because of harsh winters over the last two years.

Winter tyres have a different tread pattern to give better grip on snow and ice and have a snowflake on a mountain as a symbol on the sidewall. The symbol indicates that they use winter grade rubber which stays flexible and maintains grip to well below freezing. The rubber used on standard tyres hardens as the temperature drops.

Winter tyres are not suitable for all year round – regular tyres give better performance when temperatures are higher and roads dry – but they do make sense for drivers living in more remote areas where winter conditions are likely to be more severe for longer or for those who feel they have to travel no matter what the weather.

An alternative to changing tyres is to carry snow chains or snow socks to fit when the snow gets deep. Snow socks are made of a strong fabric which grips snow – they stretch to fit over the tyre.

Either of these can be used with standard tyres and they fit quite easily into a corner of the boot, or garage in summer.

IAM chief examiner Peter Rodger said: “The weather we experience in the UK is nowhere near as severe as many other countries, but with the past two winters having been particularly bad, motorists in the hardest-hit areas may feel reassured to have the extra grip winter tyres afford.

*“But weigh up the expense. A full set will cost £400 - £500, and most drivers won’t detect any significant difference in grip until the temperature is freezing. Most importantly, if conditions are really treacherous you should just consider postponing the journey and staying at home. Even if the mercury drops to below zero, safe and sensible driving will mean you shouldn’t have any cause for emergency stops, and so little need to test your tyres to their limits.”

Whatever tyres are fitted, regular checks of tread depth and pressure are even more important in winter. Performance in snow, ice or sub-zero conditions will reduce significantly if the tread depth falls below 3mm. Pressure should be checked with the tyres cold – that means they should have been driven no more than a mile.

Do not be tempted to reduce pressure to increase grip. Tyres with low pressure do not have any more grip and are prone to overheating and blowouts.

* Now you know how special you are as an XF owner :D

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
If you need to drive your car in the winter month in my neck of the woods it is not really a question if you put some on but when. First of all because you want to be safe, second because it is law to wear at least all-weather-ones in harsh conditions.
As far as the additional cost is concerned: It is minimal if within (let´s say) 3 years you drive enough miles. Do not forget that while you have the winter tires on the summer ones do not wear out. As I said before, I keep my cars about 3 years on average. In that period – with the mileage I do – I would need about 2 sets of tires. Changing to winter tires in October/November and reverting in April/May I also only need 2 sets. 1 for the winter and 1 for the summer.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'm always staggered with regard to this ever reoccuring theme that there is a total neglect or even reference to the cold winters in the Uk and everywhere else in Europe for that matter which are inherently wet. This means cold rain!!:idea: It must surely be clear to everyone that you simply cannot compare a summer and winter tyre compounds in wet and cold winter temperatures. It is irresponsible and dangerous to oneself and others to assume that the braking distance in cold temps., as has already been mentioned, remains the same for both tyres.:ugeek: This is dangerously incorrect and could result in someone being killed or one's car being demolished. The softer winter tyre compound dramatically reduces the actual braking distance by roughly 30% (correct me if it's different) in winter i.e. temps around 7-10°C. Don't tell me that one only has to reckon with snow in the UK and not freezing or even cold rain!:confused:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Although it is a significant investment of about £1k for wheels, tyres & TPMS. There are a no. of points to be in mind.

1) You are not using your summer tyres whilst the winter wheels are on (so no additional cost there)
2) Most people go to work & come home in the dark in the winter months so therefore the temperature is colder
3) You are less likely to have an accident due to the shorter stopping distances
4) When you come to sell your XF, you can sell the wheels & probably get most of your investment back
5) Allows you to use your XF in snow/ice with greater confidence ;-)

I am sure there are more points, but having 2009 winter with no winter tyres, 2010 with winter tyres, I would not be without them now. I am also looking for a full set of winter tyres/wheels for my wifes golf now.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes, words of experience and wisdom, John. Couldn't agree more. I've been using 8 wheels on numerous cars over the past 30 years or so and they have saved my bacon umpteen times in adverse conditions on iced up roads, ice rain, sleet and snow which can all appear literally out of the blue in winter.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would just use the Wife's car in such conditions as I don't want some other idiot sliding into my beautiful car plus living on the south coast the weather doesn't get that bad here normally anyway to really warrant winter tyres.

·
Registered
480 Posts
During Autumn of last year I purchased a spare set of alloys and winter tyres and had them fitted to my XF.:) About the same time a near neighbour took the decision to stick with his summer tyres on his XJ.:-x
In January I noticed he was driving a little Seat courtesy car and out of interest asked him where his XJ was. Turns out it had been extracted from a hedge on a local road when he failed to make the turn in the snow. Enough said.:D

I am completely gobsmacked :eek: that two respondents above are not convinced of the merits of winter tyres. What planet are you folks on? (unless of course you are in the Middle East/S E Asia region)

My winter set will go on at the end of October, no question!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is it possible to replace the tyres on the Volans wheels with something suitable for winter use?

Having worked in Germany several years ago, I had a spare set of wheels to replace my summer wheels and thought they were a big improvement.

Steve

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Smetski,

Just over a week ago I purchased a full set of winter tyres for my Volan wheels - you will need 2x 255 35 20 and 2x 285 30 20 Pirelli Sotto Zero tyres. They are massively expensive though !! I am currently trying to decide to just swap my tyres over when winter comes or just buy some more wheels (plus TPMS valves).

Thanks
Steven

·
Registered
1 Posts
My work colleague sourced Vredestein winter tyres for his Audi A6 and was such a convert that I'm seriously trying to find some for my XF for this winter. After 2 winters of rear wheel drive, automatic, sporty saloon driving I figure I've used up my good luck! The winter mode appears pretty useless for me.
I went on a Jaguar day at Oulton Park with trained instructors on a skid pan and even then you could barely notice the difference between normal and winter modes.
Winter tyres for me definitely.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
... The winter mode appears pretty useless for me.
I went on a Jaguar day at Oulton Park with trained instructors on a skid pan and even then you could barely notice the difference between normal and winter modes.
If the thought was that "winter mode" gives the car more grip, there might be a misunderstanding. Winter mode softens the way the engine reacts, the way it put´s the power to/on the wheels. It supports the driver driving carefully, helping him to avoid loosing grip through applying too much power too quick. E.g. in winter mode the car starts in 2nd gear, not 1st.
If you put the car on a skid pan expecting a better grip braking or on hard turns in winter mode - well, you will not find it. Winter mode is no substitude for good tyres. In winter no substitude for winter - tyres.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had only owned my XF a few weeks when it snowed last November. Other cars where trolling up and down my road , only a side road, no problem,so I reversed of my drive and promptly got stuck. After much shunting about I got it back on the drive where it stayed until the snow cleared,me using a £500 Fiesta.
I tried to source winter tyres last year after this experience but they where unavailable , so if any member is considering winter tyres I would source them soon , I have and will have them fitted in November.
This will probablly ensure a mild winter with no snow.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
If the thought was that "winter mode" gives the car more grip, there might be a misunderstanding. Winter mode softens the way the engine reacts, the way it put´s the power to/on the wheels. It supports the driver driving carefully, helping him to avoid loosing grip through applying too much power too quick. E.g. in winter mode the car starts in 2nd gear, not 1st.
If you put the car on a skid pan expecting a better grip braking or on hard turns in winter mode - well, you will not find it. Winter mode is no substitude for good tyres. In winter no substitute for winter - tyres.
Hi, I think you will find that the diesel cars start in 2nd gear at all times unless you put it in 1st using the paddles.;) Phil

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm always staggered with regard to this ever reoccuring theme that there is a total neglect or even reference to the cold winters in the Uk and everywhere else in Europe for that matter which are inherently wet. This means cold rain!!:idea: It must surely be clear to everyone that you simply cannot compare a summer and winter tyre compounds in wet and cold winter temperatures. It is irresponsible and dangerous to oneself and others to assume that the braking distance in cold temps., as has already been mentioned, remains the same for both tyres.:ugeek: This is dangerously incorrect and could result in someone being killed or one's car being demolished. The softer winter tyre compound dramatically reduces the actual braking distance by roughly 30% (correct me if it's different) in winter i.e. temps around 7-10°C. Don't tell me that one only has to reckon with snow in the UK and not freezing or even cold rain!:confused:
Very good reply and I share the above views... Whether or not its a legal requirement which of course in the UK its not I believe its the safety issue that's most important !!

I choose to equip Our 4X4 with winter tyres for peace of mind. I do not want the car damaged due to loss of control and most importantly I definitely want the safest vehicle that I can for the family to travel in !! .

The Jaguar XF it seems has a reputation for being a very difficult car when the snow is on the ground so this also must be a factor to be considered ???

Have I equipped the XF with winter tyres ? No. It will not be used through the winter months and will be sat in the garage..

Charlie.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My work colleague sourced Vredestein winter tyres for his Audi A6 and was such a convert that I'm seriously trying to find some for my XF for this winter. After 2 winters of rear wheel drive, automatic, sporty saloon driving I figure I've used up my good luck! The winter mode appears pretty useless for me.
I have used Vredestien winter tyres in past years and find them to be brilliant !! I have a set on The 4X4 ready for winter use..

Its a feature of this particular tyre that they can be used all year round if required but I will use them from around late November till early spring.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was at the Thruxton track day earlier in the month. The Jaguar driver there pointed out that one of the effects of Winter Mode is to 'soften' the traction control, so that it allows a bit more wheel slip. The problem with ice/snow is that very quickly the traction control eases off all power, and you go nowhere. Winter mode allows a bit more wheel spin to try to make the most of any available grip. (combined with sottozeros I had no problem last winter...)

1 - 20 of 521 Posts