XF Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
What about the rear window, is that a no no also ?
Works as advertised on any of the windows. The problems come from the wipers smearing what's left of the glycerine after the film breaks down. So, don't use it on the windscreen. It works great on any other window. It also works on the inside to reduce fogging and indeed, that was how this product got started in the 1930s. It increases the effect of surface tension in the tiny water droplets that cause fogging. This forces the tiny drops to form slightly larger drops you can see past instead of the tiny drops that cause fogging.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
All very interesting lol but quite a departure from the original question... Does anyone have advice to offer on how to access the reservoir filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my XF the tube has come off the connector feeding the passenger side wiper. I can just touch the connector by pushing my hand through the brake fluid flap but not enough to push the rubber tube back on. Does anyone know how I can remove the connector so I can feed the rubber tube through the hole and push it back onto the connector?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
On my XF the tube has come off the connector feeding the passenger side wiper. I can just touch the connector by pushing my hand through the brake fluid flap but not enough to push the rubber tube back on. Does anyone know how I can remove the connector so I can feed the rubber tube through the hole and push it back onto the connector?
Did you fix this? Cant picture your issue, worth posting up a photo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
All very interesting lol but quite a departure from the original question... Does anyone have advice to offer on how to access the reservoir filter?

Yes. You need to remove the whole plastic scuttle plate that slots over the bottom of the windscreen. It has a rubber seal that meets the bonnet underside. you don't need to remove this.
First pop off the plastic caps on the wiper arms and disconnect the hoses from the nozzles in the scuttle, then undo the 13mm bolt holding each washer arm and remove arm. The arms sit on a splined spindle and I had to push down the arm to get it to lay flat enough for the base bit to come off the spindle. It comes off by hand, not much force required if you get the angle right from the glass.
Then remove the three cross head big plastic bolts holding the rectangular cover on on the LH side of the bay. then remove all the pop-in studs along the bottom edge of the scuttle panel, they have a centre section that you press in about 3-4mm. Remove all the fasteners and store somewhere safe away form the engine bay as there is nowhere to put them without risk of them falling into some crevice.
Lift up the bottom of the panel and pull it away from the glass, clearing the wiper spindles. Remember it grips the underside and topside of the lower edge of the windscreen. Remove the two inner washer pipes from the rotating nozzle things and you can take it all away and have free access to the washer bottle and its associated gubbins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you say "quickly" how quickly? Would it have been the same process I just described or is there an even easier shortcut?
On my first visit it took about 20 minutes. It probably took the mechanic much less as this is how long I waited in the reception area. I just turned up without an appointment but this is the dealer where I bought the car and where I have my car serviced so they know me.

A few weeks later it came off again so I went back. This time the mechanic told me he had fixed it on using a jubilee clip so it won't come off again. He said he had to take the wipers off and a plate below so it does sound like you said. The whole thing again took around 30 minutes from arrival unannounced to departure. They didn't charge so that's good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Twice a year I empty out the washer bottle (using the washer stalk), and put some very hot water in, I then flush it through the sytem using the same method, it has kept my jets working for over four years with no problems. Phil
My windscreen washers had almost stopped working, sometimes a brief squirt but usually nothing. The rear wash wasn’t working at all. I could hear the pump running though.
Having read this post, I poured a jug of hot water into the reservoir. 5 minutes later and it all works perfectly!! Thank you 😊

21 - 29 of 29 Posts