XF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm having a problem with my washer jets and unsure how to proceed. They are definitely inefficient as also verified by Stratstone Cardiff at a recent safety check.

Obvious target for me is the reservoir filter, following a recent similar issue on SHMBO's car where the filter proved to be blocked up. However on my car headlight wash seems ok, passenger side poor and driver side very poor - first sweep releases no water at all, but further sweeps then release some water. I have taken the jet off once and blown it clean which hasn't done the trick.

Would you still suspect the filter? If so, how easy is it to access? Any tips that would save dealer labour charges much appreciated!

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
The two systems must use different motors. The headlight spray is high pressure and the intake for its pump is located higher up in the reservoir. Once the reservoir level drops too low the headlight washers cease to function to conserve fluid in the last "half" of the reservoir capacity.

So the problem in your windshield washer system could be the pump, the non return valves or blockage in the tubing.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The two systems must use different motors. The headlight spray is high pressure and the intake for its pump is located higher up in the reservoir. Once the reservoir level drops too low the headlight washers cease to function to conserve fluid in the last "half" of the reservoir capacity.

So the problem in your windshield washer system could be the pump, the non return valves or blockage in the tubing.
Thanks for this, really clear. Sounds like you don't suspect the filter? I will check the tubing and then let the garage have a look and hope its a warranty item!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there. My car is a 61 reg XK but it has the exact same problem as you describe on your XF. The overspray from the headlight washers is the only thing keeping me on the road at the moment - the windscreen washers hardly spray at all. It is booked in today (HA Fox Leeds) for them to take a look. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My issue is solved.

I had been mixing normal screenwash additive (Halfords brand) with Jaguar's additive and the two simply do not mix - they coagulate and a jelly like substance forms in the bottom of the resorvoir tank, clogging the pump to the screen washer jets. As posted above, the higher headlight washers remain unaffected.

To fix, the system had to be disassembeld and flushed out. The stirling chaps at HA Fox Leeds did this under warranty, save for the cost of the replacement screenwash additive (£5).

Lesson learnt - dont put cheap additive in a £60K car! Jaguar's own brand additive from now on!

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My issue is solved.

I had been mixing normal screenwash additive (Halfords brand) with Jaguar's additive and the two simply do not mix - they coagulate and a jelly like substance forms in the bottom of the resorvoir tank, clogging the pump to the screen washer jets. As posted above, the higher headlight washers remain unaffected.

To fix, the system had to be disassembeld and flushed out. The stirling chaps at HA Fox Leeds did this under warranty, save for the cost of the replacement screenwash additive (£5).

Lesson learnt - dont put cheap additive in a £60K car! Jaguar's own brand additive from now on!

Hope this helps.
Jaguars own brand additive will just be a rebrand of somebody else's product. If I may be so bold, and I am not alone on this forum if you do a search, one of the best products in this weather is Comma X Stream, a winter wash additive which if dosed correctly will not freeze even at the lowest of temperatures we are likely to experience. .....and don't worry, it's not that cheap!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Thanks guys, this just shows one never stops to learn something ... for years now I topped up the water for the screenwash in winter (just the time of the year when you have to use the screenwash a lot) and also always buying a wash and anti freeze additive at the station I refilled. Never would have guessed that some of them don´t mix and buying the wrong one might clog the system.

Would be good to know a little more detail. If there is a danger of that across all the additives, which one Jaguar is using and if a lot of them don´t mix.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My issue is solved.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for this. I realised today that both sides were the same and put it together with the different pump heights to conclude bottom filter must be clogged.

Has anyone ever done this work themselves and got any tips?

Re causes I'd assumed it was related to water quality and as I noted in the original post I had the same problem on the wife's car - gooey mess all over the filter. I now use ready mixed unbranded stuff just so that I don't have to mix in tap water. Regarding mixing brands, isn't the simplest thing just to ensure you have run out completely before refilling?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've had this problem in a couple of cars, caused by mixing certain combinations of additives and then not using the washers much, giving the jelly-like gunk time to form. My cure is simply to put a hosepipe down into the washer bottle, preferably with a small nozzle on the end to form a jet, and blow the gunk out. 5-minute job at most.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I've had this problem in a couple of cars, caused by mixing certain combinations of additives and then not using the washers much, giving the jelly-like gunk time to form. My cure is simply to put a hosepipe down into the washer bottle, preferably with a small nozzle on the end to form a jet, and blow the gunk out. 5-minute job at most.
If this is a cause then the gunk would form behind the filter and defeat it. What additives are you UK guys using? Over here we mix methanol and water and sell it in 4 liter jugs, dyed blue. Occasionally a bit of isopropyl alcohol is added. Very occasionally a little detergent goes in or with the Rain X brand an unknown "magic" ingredient probably a little glycerin is added. None of our screen washes cost more than a buck a liter and often less. All screen washes over here are compatible with each other without problems.

·
Banned
468 Posts
My issue is solved.

Hope this helps.
Halford's screen wash isn't a rubbish product at all. I've used it before, and will again. Just ask the guys who tested a load of car care products from Auto Express. If you empty your reservoir of the old screen wash before you add a new type, then you should not have any problems. I would go as far to put a bit of water in reservoir to flush out any of the older screen wash you had in there before putting the new product in. Up to you which you use, but how much does the Jaguar screen wash cost compared to Halford's?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/35846/best-screen-wash

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Twice a year I empty out the washer bottle (using the washer stalk), and put some very hot water in, I then flush it through the sytem using the same method, it has kept my jets working for over four years with no problems. Phil

Reactions: JamesC

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I am completely convinced that the jets themselves are quite useless. They are installed in the wiper arms and are non adjustable! I even had new arms mounted because they simply would not wipe the screen clean over the whole area. I use a washer solution from my Shell station and add a very tiny dose of washing up liquid during the winter months. I ensure that the freezing point of the liquid is always at a constant -20°C. Any less and the solution will become sluggish and not go through the jets at all..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jagular & Rigger - the service manager at HA Fox mentioned that their additive contained glycerine. Maybe it is this that is not mixing well with other products. I have nothing against Halfords stuff - I had used their ready mix stuff for years in my 997 with no issues at all. In fact, I have never had any issues with the screen wash in any car I have owned!! On reflection I must admit that I have mixed a few things together without realising that it would be a bad thing (I was never any good at chemistry). In the 12 months that I have owned the car I added some Porsche additive during the summer (had some left over) and then recently topped up with Halfords Advance pre-mixed ready for winter before the whole lot apparently turned to jelly and clogged up the system.

Philayl - Sound advice indeed and a regime that I plan to follow from now on.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Glycerine is the "secret" ingredient in Rain X one of America's most egregious consumer frauds. It is said to eliminate the need for wipers in the rain, untrue. The small amount of glycerine deposited on the glass does indeed make the glass slightly hydrophobic. However, unless constantly reapplied it soon breaks up and smearing is the result.

I recommend that you do not ever put glycerin products on the windscreen of your car, directly or indirectly. Never use Rain X unless you get no dirt at all on your windscreen, ever. Complete waste of money. Particularly bad to use any Rain X in winter conditions.

·
Administrator
22,567 Posts
recommend that you do not ever put glycerin products on the windscreen of your car, directly or indirectly. Never use Rain X unless you get no dirt at all on your windscreen, ever. Complete waste of money. Particularly bad to use any Rain X in winter conditions.
What about the rear window, is that a no no also ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I certainly use it on my back window (or a similar product at least) to good effect, the water runs off very easily in the mornings.

I did once use it on the windscreen in pouring rain and I didn't have to use the wipers, quite amazing, that said I do agree with Jagular that it did smear and consequently it was a one off never to be repeated.

·
Banned
468 Posts
Rain-X is a product that requires constant re-applying, and this is where the manufacturer (Kraco Car Car International) make their money. The product itself does tell you that you have to re-apply once the beading action stops (or if it starts smearing). The more you use your wipers, then the more often you have to re-apply it. We used a very similar compund (Rep-Con, almost identical to Rain-X in chemical make-up, but for aerospace use) on the Sepecat Jaguar windscreens, which had to be applied as part of weekly maintenance codes.

On the other hand - I have heard that Rain-X compund can deteriote the rubbers on your wipers. If you have rain-x on your windscreen and wish to remove it, you will have to buy a glass cutting paste.

Personally, I don't use it anymore on the windscreen. Like others, I do apply it to the rear window, and also side windows and door mirrors.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts