XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have the issue of their screen misting up on start-up?, mine does it every morning and takes a minute or so to clear on demist. No a great ball ache just something that I have noticed more than on any other car I have ever owned?

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes I have had this problem since I got the car in September so definitely not just a cold morning issue!

Normally one associates a problem like this with there being moisture somewhere in the cabin but I have looked everywhere and can find no sign of any damp.

However with the heated fron screen it only takes a few seconds to clear it just a bit of a pain if you are in a hurry!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well Ross, Looks like it's a problem only you and I have so I guess it's another thing to add to the list next time the car goes into the dealers!

I'll let you know if I find the cause.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Many cars can mist up depending on several factors and in my experience the XF is no worse that others I have owned. How quickly a car will "respond" and deal with it will also depend on various factors, one of which will be how quickly the car can generate some heat to deal with the problem.

I think you are being a little unfair to suggest it is a Jaguar problem. Indeed, you can make the counter arguement that the car must be sealed well from the outside elements in order for the mist to form.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be clear for once I wasnt criticising the car, just an observation and to see if anyone did anything to minimise it. There are many anti fog treatments but I have never tried them. Hence the post.

·
Registered
242 Posts
twosheds said:
I think you are being a little unfair to suggest it is a Jaguar problem. Indeed, you can make the counter arguement that the car must be sealed well from the outside elements in order for the mist to form.
Actually I wasnt being critical of the car either. As you will see from other posts I have submitted I am very much a 'defender' of the XF.
However this misting problem I have had since taking delivery of the car and occurred even when the weather was warm and dry leading me to believe that the problem was probably due to some moisture somewhere in the cabin, which I have been unable to track down.
I have not had this problem with any other motor car I have owned but had a colleague some time back who had a BMW that exhibited similar tendencies. That was eventually tracked down to a tiny leak in the A/c system and once rectified the problem went away.
My other thought was that maybe it has something to do with the rake of the windscreen and the angle that sunlight hits it creating a temperature differential and therefore misting. As only Ross and I seem to have this problem it would tend to suggest this is an erroneous theory and probably an issue confined to our particular vehicles, so not an 'XF problem' per se.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anybody else have the issue of their screen misting up on start-up?, mine does it every morning and takes a minute or so to clear on demist. No a great ball ache just something that I have noticed more than on any other car I have ever owned?

Cheers

Ross
I too have had this problem (quite annoying when you start off with a slightly misted screen and then the 'de' mister completely mists it up) and it was suggested by the dealer that it may be the air conditioning not dumping the condensate, although this is not deemed to be a fault.
The fix would appear to be to run the air con on max temperature for a while (20 mins). This seems to stop the misting up for a week or two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this 'problem' but it has been a common feature of all the cars I have had recently* and, I think, can be down to air con. Any moisture in the car will be vapour when the car is heated up but will condense when the car cools. So, the car can be clear when you switch off and then mist up when you start it from a cooler temperature. The car doesn't need to be cold on start up, I sometimes get windows misting up during the day at fairly warm temperatures when the car has only been switched off for a short period, again not new to the XF but common on my recent cars. It always clears fairly quickly and is dependent upon how clean your windows are. Clean windows always clear much quicker than those with a film on them. May be something to do with the temperatures I set. As for cleaning the windows, if you've tried all the window products without success, good old methylated spirit gets rid of the muck, and the smell doesn't last long.
*2 X-Types, Vauxhall Omega and Volvo C70.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone tried Rain X interior wipes? Supposedly they clean the screen and minimize misting (So it says in the box)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The misting up of windows is a known thing within Jag, The XF's should have a extractor fans which are situated in the rear quarter panels, which open to prevent cabins misting up and balance cabin pressure when Climate Control is used. They aren't mechanical and work by flowing air pushing the small fins open.
So if the flow of air to the extractor fans is obstructed then there maybe misting problems occurring.

Only a suggestion mind you as we had known issues of misty cabins on Xj's.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I tried the Rain X interior wipes on a previous car. I didn't rate them at all. They didn't clean the screen or prevent misting.
When i had my last car valetted, the guy used Autglym's interior glass polish.
It was the best my windows had ever looked. Since then I use it in my XF and my Wife's car. I swear by it. It keeps the glass cleaner far longer than other products I tried.
What also used to irritate me was smearing. The Autoglym polish wipes off brilliantly which means less work for me!

As for the misting, mine had a slight foggy patch this morning (7c outside).
That soon cleared once the Ford quickclear got to work (I am so glad Ford let Jaguar use this in it's cars).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the same problem.
When I go out to put the car in the garage the screen mists up, it's done it for months, even in the summer.
It doesn't mist up tho' when I get the car out of the garage in the morning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts