XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a premium luxury on 8TH june , and from day 1 when im driving at about 50 mph i have wind noise coming in around the front doors, like the window is open a small bit . Took it to dealer and they say its a problem as some other people have come in , but cannot fix it and they say jaguar dont have a fix for it . so my question is has any one else got this problem and if so what have they done , or can any one suggest where i go from here , ive not contacted jaguar yet .alex

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem.

I regularly go at about 110 km/h with no evident wind noise. Any noise would come from the mirror but at higher speeds.

Is there damage to the body work? Door seals look ok to you?

Roy

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
I have never been aware of wind noise on my car at any speed. However, I have been alarmed on occasions when the tyre noise, Dunlop, has reacted to a different road surface. On one occasion I thought at first that the engine had developed a major fault and was very relieved when I realised it was nothing more than a change in surface.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Ditto with my Dunlops. Had thought of changing them the Yokohamas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I have the same problem -last week I went tot eh dealer and said that they are aware of the problem so are Jaguar. The dealer said that Jaguar are working on a fix and that he had seen some drawings which showed a new type of seal etc - possibly 4 weeks from being implemented.
He said to me that JAG were not happy witht he seal around the window and that it was too weak and flexible.

Hopefully there will now be a fix soon

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Kent XF said:
Yes I have the same problem -last week I went tot eh dealer and said that they are aware of the problem so are Jaguar. The dealer said that Jaguar are working on a fix and that he had seen some drawings which showed a new type of seal etc - possibly 4 weeks from being implemented.
He said to me that JAG were not happy witht he seal around the window and that it was too weak and flexible.

Hopefully there will now be a fix soon
Very interesting. I bought an E39 BMW 523 in 1996, shortly after it arrived in UK. It also suffered badly from wind noise around the front doors. I complained about it, and six months later the dealer recalled the car and fitted a modified door seal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Vapourgrey, was your E39 a 1996 manufacture or a 1997 manufacture?

I had a mid-1997 E39 but no problems with wind noise; neither was there a recall for my car.

Maybe the issue was already fixed by the time they manufactured my car. Anyway, I had other problems with my car. The central security unit, the EW-something-or-other, fried, leaving me with a car that did everything but start and go. About 3.5 years laters, the engine started knocking. The local dealer never found what caused the problem. A little after the 5th year, it got replaced by an X5, which had more problems.

Sorry for the digression on an XF forum. :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
mauler said:
Vapourgrey, was your E39 a 1996 manufacture or a 1997 manufacture?

I had a mid-1997 E39 but no problems with wind noise; neither was there a recall for my car.

Maybe the issue was already fixed by the time they manufactured my car. Anyway, I had other problems with my car. The central security unit, the EW-something-or-other, fried, leaving me with a car that did everything but start and go. About 3.5 years laters, the engine started knocking. The local dealer never found what caused the problem. A little after the 5th year, it got replaced by an X5, which had more problems.

Sorry for the digression on an XF forum. :D
It was a March 1996 car and the DEALER called it in to fit modified front door seals several months after I complained about wind noise. Like the V8 engines in XK8/ XKR's built between 1996-2002 the engine had Nikasil cylinder linings. My car never suffered from the dreaded wear problem, but the dealer was replacing two engines a week around that time, which must have cost BMW a fortune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts