XF Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - new member on here and first time posting.

I currently have a 2013 XF and as of yesterday have ordered a replacement new Portfolio XF (even in the same colour - Italian Racing Red)!

I have opted to go for the Infotainment Pro upgrade. When the assistant was explaining all this it prompted me to think if this would support Wi-Fi calling (for those unfamiliar with this it is when the mobile phone signal is weak so the phone connects via Wi-Fi. I am with EE and I have to say it works well).

So, the scenario is I am out driving in the car, can I get the phone in my pocket to connect to the data sim in the car - via wi-fi and then the car uses its better aerial to make phone calls?

I suppose the question could as easily be asked on the EE forum (and no doubt if no-one knows for sure it will get passed back and forth between Jag and EE) but I was interested to know if it was possible and even if someone has it working and what the experience is.
This is not a deal breaker but it will be interesting.

If no-one knows I will get to try it myself and report back but unfortunately not until March when I get the new car.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Bryan

·
Registered
11 Posts
I do not have the option so cannot speak from any direct experience. If the 3G/4G modem of the car is comparable to any standard mobile wifi device then by rights any smartphone connected to the wifi should be able to connect to any and all internet services, including for example Skype and other proper VOIP (Voice Over IP) services. That said, I must say that if the cellular signal in any given area is so feeble that you cannot get a decent voice connection, then even with a better antenna of the car it is unlikely that you will get a sufficiently strong and high bandwidth data connection to sustain the VOIP calling.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's a WiFi hotspot, just like the pocket ones you can pick up, but with the antenna mounted on the roof.

It will all depend on whether the network ports that the WiFi calling app requires are blocked or not. I've no idea (ask me in a couple of months, once mine's arrived). But if the ports aren't blocked, it should be OK. Having said that, just remember that ultimately, it's still going over the same mobile network. If you're using the same network, the only improvement is going to be due to the better antenna and placement. You might want to consider getting a SIM from a different network provider. That way, if the coverage is poor with EE, you have a different network to fall back on.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve,

It is an interesting thought to use a data SIM from another network but since that will be data only and not voice I am not sure how that will work. In any event the EE wifi calling feature is only available on a phone supplied by them on a monthly contract and using their own sim so that rules that out in my case. My current thinking is to get a second SIM from EE using their sharing facility and try that.
I suspect this is a case where only time will tell. Thanks for replying.

Bryan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bryan,

You would be using your EE phone to make the call, so that's no issue. The SIM in the car is just providing your connection to the Internet, just like your broadband does at home. WiFi calling is voice-over-IP, so doesn't require a full voice SIM. Worth a go, anyway.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
Second attempt at posting.... just wanted to mention that if the cellular voice connection is that weak then any data signal you have is unlikely to be strong enough to carry a decent voice signal, whether using EE or other Voice over IP (VOIP) services ranging from Skype to SIP.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts