XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The XF is what I, and many others, like to see as Jaguar's swansong, its final effort to save the company. No one at the time knew whether it would be popular. Jaguar still had the 'old man' image that kids hated, it was along side Volvo in the, "I've given up" category, now this was never my view and I could never quite understand why it was anyone elses either, I thought Jaguar were always classy, and sometimes understated, and I thought that was 'cool.'

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere, after the massive success of the XF, that Jaguar as a company were not entirely confident in the XF, but it was 'their last stab at it'.

Jaguar shouldn't replace the XF, it should be remembered in the form that it takes now, as what saved Jaguar and became so popular. I'd go as far to say it should go out with a bang, like Faulty Towers, it was a great show, but they did not keep filming until people were sick of it, they put it to bed whilst it was on a high.

Making a second gen XF would put it in the same bracket as the A6, 5-series, and E-Class, they have all been around for at least 15 years. Albeit the A6 was called the 100 or something.

I'm interested to know whether or not people share the same opinion as I do. So please do post your thoughts on the matter. :) And apologies in advance for slipping into 'article writing mode.'

·
Registered
43 Posts
The start not the end

The XF and the XK are the start of the new Jaguar not the end of it. Why would you kill off something that should be the marque's bread and butter for the next 20 years? It can change styling, engines, construction, but the XF's DNA should be part of what makes Jaguar Jaguar in the future. Killing it makes no sense at all.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think that whatever Jaguar does with the XF the 2nd gen or replacement needs to be born out of the same "stuff" that Jaguar found to create the XF.
That is what will keep the company alive, and stop the marque, and model thriving.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I understand where XFPhillips is coming from on this. It isn't a case of killing off the XF quickly, but perhaps its replacement should be a different code name. It keeps things fresh, keeps the image of the XF intact, and lets be blunt, helps the marketing men as well in claiming it is all new.

Sure, keep the DNA of the XF but evolve it.

Firstly though, they now need to focus on the demise of the X-Type and it being replaced by the forthcoming two seater sports car. That in turn, it seems, will then lead to a new four seater XK.

·
Registered
618 Posts
^ yeah you can have a diesel from a TATA truck instead :D

No seriously, i like the direction they are going in and I think that really they should have killed the XJ name and called that something new. It is so far removed from the line that it doesnt really account for a step on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The value of branding

When Datsun became Nissan they lost millions in brand value that had to be recreated. The Corvette and Mustang have instant value as do the Mini, the Golf, and the 911. Everybody knows what they stand for without needing an explanation - that's the power of branding. When you change names what went before depreciates in value. Does Audi think a new name for the A6 would be a good idea? When was the last time BMW's midrange car was called anything other than the 5 Series? How long has Mercedes supported the E-Class as its mid-range flagship? If Jaguar has any sense at all it will call its next midrange car the XF and save itself a fortune spending money on marketing that it doesn't need to spend and that would be better spent on engineering greater reliability into the car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts