XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi ive bought a white xf and im really unsure what products i should be using to keep it clean and shiny.
on the previous cars ive owned its just been a bucket wash then a wax to finish but id like to take care of this car a bit better but i havnt got a clue where to start or what products i should be using.

has anyone got any tips? what stuff do you use?
thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use meguiars products, readily available, really good stuff. imo. For the wheels I have just bought a bottle of Planet Polish wheel seal n shine, not used it yet but has nothing but great reviews.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice ill have a ride to halfrauds and see what theyve got
its all this claying, pre wax wash, polisher, wax etc etc it hard to get your head around! (or its just me)
let us know how the planet stuff goes.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have a look on the net because there seems to be a new generation of products which use nano technology, (I know sounds technobabble to me) but they do seem to be getting quite a lot of press and good reviews.
The planet polish stuff is one of these products. I have bought it primarily for my polished alloy motorbike wheels and it's supposed to stay put for upto 3 months. I've cleaned up a few other bike parts with it and it does seem to leave a layer of something on the part, you can feel it.
I have no connection with planet polish by the way.
As regards claying etc, there are a few posts on here about this and some photo's which show some quite impressive results.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use Meguairs car shampoo and also Bilberry wheel cleaner. I also use Carnuba polish from time to time. The results are good - worth a try ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Meguairs car shampoo and also Bilberry wheel cleaner. I also use Carnuba polish from time to time. The results are good - worth a try ?
yeah thanks for that ill give it a try, where do you get the carnuba polish from?

·
Registered
157 Posts
yeah thanks for that ill give it a try, where do you get the carnuba polish from?
I use a "well known online mail order company". They have all the products and the convenience of home delivery suits me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi I have a white xf you can spend a fortune on products, best site for gear I think is at polished bliss, werkstatt acrylic sealant is the best for white cars, 2 bucket method with a mitt no sponge, iron x to git rid of contaminants etc, could go on for ever

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was going to get the werkstat stuff but having spoken to polished bliss they say its no longer for sale and maybe never will be so back to square one

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My Jaguar is not white, but I often use products from Dodo Juice, which is actually a British company. Why is it never mentioned here? Aren't most of the members here living in Great Britain?

I have always thought, that the main reason for getting a white Jaguar is, that you'll be able to walk around saying: "I have a white Jaguar" in a heavy Spanish accent. I doubt if anyone gets that reference, though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only way for keeping your car clean and reasonably Swirl free is to wash it correctly. This is more time consuming than a Joe Bloggs wash but WILL preserve you cars paintwork. The reason you see so many cars that are covered in swirls and scratches when the sun shines is because they have not taken the simple steps prior to washing.You will need to invest in some new gear but again is well worth it.

If you just put a sponge on your paintwork with some soap you will without doubt pick up small particles of dirt and contamimants and then rub them all over your nice paint with the sponge. If you think about all the grit and dirt flicked up throughout the day off the road landing on your paint. To feel this simply put a small plastic sandwich bag on your hand and then feel your paintwork. You will feel all the dirt and grit.

Rinse the car with a jet wash. This removes all loose dirt.
Then cover car in snow foam. This softens any dirt and particles not removed with jet washer. (lots of snow faoms and lances on the net)
leave for about 10 - 15 mins to dwell
Rinse with jet wash, then wash with the 2 bucket method, good car shampoo and a lambs wool wash mitt. With the mitt having a deep pile any grit you may pick up goes into the pile and is not scratched onto the paint as would with a sponge.
Rinse and Check paintwork with plastic bag on your hand and if you feel bits of contaminates..ie it is not smooth as glass you need to clay it. (google claying)
When clayed, wash car again (no need to foam again)
Rinse and dry with a good quality drying TOWEL. Not a shammy.
If no paint correction is required..ie..no swirls etc :
Apply a good quality Sealant, (seals in the shiny paintwork) followed by a good quality Glaze (enhances the shine) then wax (puts a protective coat over the top and also enhances finish.
Next time you need to wash the car...you must do the first steps with snow foaming, wash mitt, and drying but will only need to go over it after with a detailing spray to remove any water marks.
If you dont have the time for a full wash LEAVE it. If you do a quick wash and swirl the paint the only way to really fix it is to pay for it to be machine polished.

·
Registered
196 Posts
struggled for ages to keep my mettalic black portfoilio shiny and looking its best,for the last six months i have rinsed the car with the hose pipe to help remove any dust ,snow foamed the car with demon foam comes ready with the nozzle ,after a minute or so go over the snow faom with a sponge,then rinse with the demon shine again iit comes ready to spray on just attatch your hose ,leave that for a couple of minutes and dry off with good quality micro fibre cloths,the shine is brilliant and it lasts for weeks, this has been the quickest and best result i have had ,tried all the usual products,sadly my xf will be gone by friday with the arrival of my new 430 d x drive bm which is diamond white the bmw will be getting the same treatment ,this will do the same job on the white car,good luck with your choice ,all of the demon shine products are available from halfords ,good thing about the containers is you just attach your hose to the applicator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too have a white xf and the dealer gave me a Diamond Brite cleaning pack. Have been taking my car to a local hand car wash then using the products from the pack. Seems to working fine for me.

Regards

Dave - Very happy 2.2d luxury owner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts