XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which other cars did you consider buying before you plumped for the XF?

I went through several options before I settled for the XF:

- Used Lexus LS430 (and keep my current car)
- New RX 400h
- Used Jaguar XJ-Series (and keep my current car)
- Used Merc S-Class (and keep my current car)
- New BMW 5-Series
- Used Volvo S60, V70, XC70, XC90 or S80 (and keep my current car)
- Used Merc E-Class Estate (and keep my current car)
- Used (old) Range Rover Vogue (and keep my current car)
- Used Honda Accord Estate (and keep my current car)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

Considered cars carefully

Getting rid of M5 Touring as fed up with 18 mpg and petrol station 3 x week

Get XF 2.7D to double the fuel economy

Considered

Second hand S320CDi [too expensive]
new 525d or 530d [new model out next year]
XJ 2.7D: dealer said XF would loose less money
A6 3.0D quattro: have RS6 on order for Sept [therefore not an option]

Keeping my other car [DB9] as a bit of performance

Jon

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I started looking for a more practical and economical replacement for my XKR last year when the choice was whittled down to three cars.

New BMW 530/535D. Nice car to drive but discarded because I didn't like the iDrive and it was just too plug ugly! (After 15 years as a loyal customer I abandoned BMW when Chris Bangle took over as head of design).

New Audi A6 2.7/3.0 TDi Smart looking with a well finished interior, but the ride was too hard on our poor roads and surprisingly I found the driver's seat/position uncomfortable. It was also getting a bit long in the tooth.

New Mercedes E280/320 CDI. Comfortable and well built, but boring and a new was model was due in 2008. However this came out top of my list, especially as I could get a £6000+ discount

Even though discounts of up to £6000 were available through drivethedeal.com, I decided to wait until the XF arrived. As information leaked out and when the brochures became available in September 2007 I ordered a Vapour Grey/Champagne/Truffle 2.7D premium Luxury with Xenons, Parking Aid Pack with Rear Camera and Portable Audio Interface. audio interface. I have not regretted that decision!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an E280CDi, which I've been very pleased with, but didn't consider another E-class as I've just had one and it's being replaced. Was tempted by a 535D as it's an absolute flying machine, but the looks and the fact it's a beemer put me off. Toyed with an S5, but then grew up and remembered I've got 2 kids, then dallied briefly with a top spec C320CDi until I realised there's not so much room.

To be honest I think I was always going to get the jag as it's a marque I've never had and it's a brand new model.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi this is my first post. I have 2 SLKs a 230K and a 350 but needed a 5 seater to take my grandson out in, I have part xed the 350 for an XF placed the order last week a 2.7 premium silver/black. I looked at the E class but with the new model just around the corner I thought not, then I looked at the 5 series but to be truthful I have never liked them and still do not, I have had about 8 BMWs but not to keen on the new ranges. Like most I read the What Car test and went for a test drive and was hooked must wait till late may or early Jun to get it. See you all.

gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
I road tested the following, and thought the XF blew them all away in all respects:

BMW535
Merc E350
Audi A6 4.2L
Acura RL
Lexus GS460
Lexus LS460
Cadillac CTS

Traded in an XJ on the XF. No regrets.

dongee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts