XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaguar faxed dealers today to inform them that the correct spec engine oil, WSS-M2C934-B (ACEA A5/B5/C1 is not currently available.

Supplies of this engine oil will not be available until the end of May.

Should a 3.0 D engine require a top up the current diesel engine oil specification WSS-M2C913-C (ACEA A1/B1), may be used.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Re: 3.0 D Engine Oil

I know that in "olden days" the rule was" Check water, oil, battery and tyres daily :eek:
Is it the case that XF owners are routinely checking the oil level; I have to confess I would have to search for the "dip stick" if such a thing is still used :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts

Pekem, I was exactly the same until the cylinder head warped on my '01 Volvo C70 due to the fact I'd not noticed how low the oil level was getting. :shock:
Now I religiously check the oil! :lol:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Just spoken to my dealer. Castrol have move the goal posts - the new spec oil WSS-M2C934-B (ACEA A5/B5/C1 won't be available until the end of June.

·
Registered
8 Posts

You can check the oil level on my 3.0d Luxury. If you press the start button (not starting the engine) and toggle through the everage speed/mileage etc you will see it also shows oil level. :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts

As it's a PAS engine, what do they recommend?

[edit] I've just had a thought - I'm assuming the 3.0 is a PAS engine, the 2.7 is.

·
Registered
107 Posts

What is a PAS engine?

·
Registered
251 Posts

I believe he meant PSA, as in PSA Peugeot Citroën.

The 2.7D is a PSA engine.
Jaguar has upgraded it to the 3.0D and it will appear in this guise in new PSA models as well, e.g. the next Citroën C6 (the current one can be had with the 2.7D).

·
Registered
171 Posts

Apologies.. my typo, I did of course mean PSA.

·
Registered
41 Posts
After 800 miles I apparently need 0.5l of oil. Thanks to the forum for telling me how to find that out - I was looking for the dipstick everywhere...

The handbook (3.0 diesel, 2009) says that engine oil must be to the Jag spec and then describes that spec. Fair enough. But what actual brands/grades fit that spec? The Castrol site says it has a neat way to find out - just type in your reg number or search for the model -but neither work for the XF although the model is listed. Doh!

Can anyone provide details?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: What oil?

Personally I would ask the supplying Jaguar dealer what brand and spec of oil is in it, and then stick to that. They should be able to advise you.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

After several delays the new oil should be with the dealers this week.

I posted this in April.

3.0 D Engine Oil

Jaguar faxed dealers today (April 9th) to inform them that the correct spec engine oil, WSS-M2C934-B (ACEA A5/B5/C1 is not currently available.

Should a 3.0 D engine require a top up the current diesel engine oil specification WSS-M2C913-C (ACEA A1/B1), may be used.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Ive got a reliable contact on another forum who is an oil expert. (owns his own oil supply business to the auto trade and consumers). What he doesnt know about oil is just not worth knowing.

I shall put the specification / product numbers to him as above and see if he can advise...

·
Registered
41 Posts

twosheds said:
Personally I would ask the supplying Jaguar dealer what brand and spec of oil is in it, and then stick to that. They should be able to advise you.
The dealer doesn't have any 'proper' oil but I emailed Castrol who said SLX Professional C1 was the one but that it isn't a retail product because the volumes are too small. I've now asked Jag for a view on what to use to top up the 3.0D and will post their reply.

·
Registered
162 Posts

Hi,

My contact has got back to me and advised that the oil spec given above is a Ford specification oil (hardly surprising).

He does supply one type of oil that he feels there would be no problem in using.

I dont know how the price stacks up against the price of the oil from Jaguar as I have not needed to purchase any but here it is:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-874-motul-8 ... gines.aspx

The specs show lubricants A5/B5/C1 as per the spec from Jaguar.

Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

TimB said:
The dealer doesn't have any 'proper' oil but I emailed Castrol who said SLX Professional C1 was the one but that it isn't a retail product because the volumes are too small. I've now asked Jag for a view on what to use to top up the 3.0D and will post their reply.
This is what Jaguar will say!

The correct spec engine oil, WSS-M2C934-B (ACEA A5/B5/C1 is not currently available.

I have just received this email from Castrol.

The SLX Professional C1 is delayed, and we are looking at a few weeks
before it is available - however, I have the following from Jaguar -

" we have now obtained from JLR, an internal bulletin informing the
Jaguar dealer network that the introduction of Castrol SLX Professional
Powerflow C1 5W-30 has been delayed. This is currently the only product
meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C934-B, and is recommended for use in
the new V6 3.0L diesel engine, as used in the Jaguar XF Type but with
Land Rover Discovery & Range Rover Sport models to follow from July
In the interim, while the 934B product is not available, products
meeting Ford 913B may be used for top-up, service and repair."

So I would recommend you use Magnatec 5W-30 A1 in the meantime, as
Jaguar have approved that grade as an interim solution.

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Automotive Lubricants Technical Advisor

·
Registered
41 Posts

I had an almost identical reply from Castrol with a couple of additional bits of info that might be useful:

I had asked about using Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5w-40 which is M2C917-A (ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, C3) which is available from Halfords and they replied:

'I would not recommend the 917A specification as the C1 is a fuel efficient Low SAPS specification, and the Magnatec Professional 5W-30 9 and the retail Magnatec 5W-30 are recommended until the SLX Professional C1 is available from the dealer - which of course would be the preferred oil.'

He added that they (Castrol) are looking at around 6 weeks for the SLX Professional C1 to be available.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts