XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know when the factory re-opens after the break?

Im hoping to arrange a visit for myself and my brother, but the factory is currently closed. My brother is getting married two weeks tomorrow, and is then on honeymoon for another two, after which Im away for a week, and when I return the cars will be here (we hope). So I was hoping to get a factory visit in the next couple of weeks.

I guess if they are shut for the next couple of weeks, Im out of luck! :lol:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They were talking about extending the break from two to three weeks, to keep costs down, whether it will go ahead hasn't been confirmed yet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The factory reopens on 10th August, according to the voicemail message on the visit bookings number.

Mark

·
Registered
16 Posts
Factory re opens on 10th August. You need your build number from your dealer and telephone the customer service number to arrange a visist. This is on the Jaguar web site. I was told my car is on the trim track on 12th August but cannot go see it because I am on holiday. Have booked a visit for 7th Sept. Hope this helps

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick trivia question for those who may have been to the factory, or those who just know this kind of information.

Typicaly how long is an XF on the production line for? From starting at one end as sections of chassis, to rolling off the other.

Are we taling a few days, a week, a few weeks etc...?

Just interesting toknow how long it takes to screw one together :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
chesterfield said:
Another quick trivia question for those who may have been to the factory, or those who just know this kind of information.

Typicaly how long is an XF on the production line for? From starting at one end as sections of chassis, to rolling off the other.

Are we taling a few days, a week, a few weeks etc...?

Just interesting toknow how long it takes to screw one together :)
Not sure if I read somewhere that it takes 36hrs including painting, I am probably wrong, the wife says I always am anyway! :roll: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think I read somewhere (it might have been here somewhere) that the car stays on the production line for 2 weeks total including everything.

The 36 hrs is probably also correct if only the effective work time is counted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I understand it takes about a day from when the body goes onto the production line until it comes off at the end.
The car then goes to Quality Control, and then onto be shipped via transporter. The actual delivery to the dealer depends on what other cars and to where, other deliveries are to be made.
At least from memory thats what happened when I bought my last Jaguar at the very end of 2003.

Regards
Keith

·
Registered
102 Posts
During a tour of the XF line, the guide stated that it the car is on the track for 37 hours (or 5 days) with a car coming off the end every 3 minutes or so, it wasn't clear how long the car is in the paint shop and whether this counts as 'being on the track' but based on the build start date of my XF and the date delivered to the dealer I would say it was nearer the 37 hours assuming they were only doing 1 shift which I think was the case during my visit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anybody know if you can take pictures during your visit to the factory? If I am lucky enough to see my own car on the production line (scheduled a visit for 10th September when it will apparently be on "final trim").

It would be nice to have some photos of the car as it is being built, but I guess in todays ever security concious world, that may be a no no..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Got my CSO number from the dealer and my car is due "off track" 18th August, so I've booked myself and my XKR-owning colleague on the 10am tour that day.

Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts