XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear fellow Forum Members

Bearing in mind that we have experienced snow during the winter for the last few years I decided to purchase a set of winter tyres. Following advice in a number of threads on this forum I have bought four Nokian WRG2 245/45R18 winter tyres for £180 each, and now need to get a set of alloys to fit them to.

Silly question but I would like to ask forum members who have the Nokian and 18" wheel combination, what width of alloy wheel should I buy - 7.5J or 8J alloys?

Thanks in anticipation!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I fitted Nokian's last year & put Jaguar 18" Cygnus wheels. Just saw these brand new Cygnus on ebay at £150 & they have 4 available

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
john_xf

Thanks for the info, I'll have look on eBay!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, the narrower the wheel the better it will perform in snow and ice. I'm quite sure the Nokian tyres will not disappoint.

G

·
0 Posts
Dear fellow Forum Members

Silly question but I would like to ask forum members who have the Nokian and 18" wheel combination, what width of alloy wheel should I buy - 7.5J or 8J alloys?

Thanks in anticipation!
7.5J is too narrow for a 245 tyre.

You should be looking for 8.5J although 8J would be OK.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Gemset.....I'm glad you say that 8J wheels should be OK as non Jaguar OEM 8.5J wheels seem to be difficult to find!

Cygnus wheels are 8.5J (I think) and as john_xf suggested are available on eBay, but there are many other interesting designs and at a lower price in 8J.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wheel size for my XF portfolio

Hi Guys

I am thinking about getting another set of wheels for the winter tyres I invested in last year. Unfortunately I didn't really think it through at the time, otherwise I would have got some 19" tyres and wheels together. I bought ( at great expense) some 20" tyres (20x 255/35 R20) and now I was looking at options for a set of winter wheels.
I saw some on ebay and they are 8.5 fronts and 9.5 rear ( I think they are from and XFR). Would these fit my 2009 xf portfolio or do I have the same size rims front and rear? Are they 8.5's ?

Any other suggestions for ecconomical second set of wheels?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi Sizzler,

The Volan and Nevis are 8.5" and 9.5" at the rear. The tyres you purchased are perfect for the 8.5" but will not fit the rears - which are normally 285 30 R20. You could however, buy 4 of the front tyres or any of the other Jaguar 20" wheels for the XF.

I have just picked up a full set of Pirelli SottoZero for my SV8 - just need to get some more Volan's for the rear :)

Cheers
Steven

1 - 8 of 8 Posts