XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be taking delivery in September and plan to drive straight towards The New Forest for a weekend away.

When you took delivery of your XF did you go straight home or did you go for a long drive, or something else?

·
Administrator
22,528 Posts
I think everyone drove home, but for most it was the long way round. Mine, to Bedfordshire, was via Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Cambridgeshire. Brilliant drive :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
morning Ash, also taking delivery in September (seems a long way away!) numerous plans are going through my head at the moment, the drive from the dealers is only 20miles so am working out a particularly labrynthine route home at the moment! The good news is we have friend staying with us the weekend after so will have people to show it off to!

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I collected my first XF I drove straight home with it, a journey of some 23 miles. It took me about 8 hours to get home and at least 1 tank of fuel too so initial impressions of the MPG were very poor, then I checked the mileage and saw that it was reading 517 miles and change, I guess i must have taken a detour or two :p

I'm collecting my second one in September, I'm sure I will go straight home this time.... Or maybe not ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
:grin: I should by getting mine early September and I have weeks holiday booked. I'm picking it up from Guy Salmon Ascot and bringing it back to the Midlands so there is agood chance i will pass through Swanage, Lyme Regis, Mevagissey,Truro, St ives and Padstow. :grin:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My trip was from Chichester to Portsmouth then onto the ferry to Caen and drove down to S Central France about 600 miles in all.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked mine up then took SWMBO to Bicester Village for her retail therapy :lol:

·
Registered
405 Posts
My local dealer (Lookers, Park Royal) is about 5 minutes and just over a mile away. Needless to say when I picked mine up, I took the very long way home and it took me just over half an hour. When I got home I parked it outside the house and had a 'play' with the portfolio's toys for a while before going in, with the owners handbook. No prizes for guessing what my reading matter was for the remainder of the evening whilst sitting on the sofa next to SWMBO!

·
Registered
96 Posts
We turned up to collect the car and it was not on the lot. Walked into the dealership and it was sitting in the middle of the display area. Bottle of red wine and a bouquet of flowers presented to the wife. Drove it straight out of the dealership ,It was our anniversary. Then drove to Dunston Hall in Norwich for an overnight stay. Wife complained that I got up several times in the night to check the car was still in the car park.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I collected my second new XF in the morning,took it Home,3miles,took all the wheels off, primed and spray painted all the brake calipers and hubs.The calipers looked so dreadful on my first XF after the cad plating came off so I was determined that this would not spoil the look of my new car. So there you have it.Sad or what but after 16 months and 20k my Red calipers still attract favorable comments and are considered to be an improvement on the view generally seen through XF alloys.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I got into the passenger seat for the 70 mile drive home whilst SWMBO chauffered. I'd just had an operation on my hand which meant I couldn't drive for a week or so. Agony! (Not the hand, the fact that I couldn't drive the XF.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I collected my first XF I drove straight home with it, a journey of some 23 miles. It took me ages to drive home and at least 1 tank of fuel too so initial impressions of the MPG were very poor, then I checked the mileage and saw that it was reading 517 miles and change, I guess i must have take a detour or two :p

I'm collecting my second one in September, I'm sure I will go straight home this time.... Or maybe not ;)
Hahaha! Fantastic. Cannot blaim you though, what a machine. I took mine out in the New Forrest too!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I took mine straight home and just looked at it for a solid 15 minutes. When me and SWMBO go for our evening constitutional I always make sure we approach home from the same direction which gives us the perfect rear three-quarteres view on the last 200 yards. It's lovely to see the cat purring on the drive.

As a side issue the STRANGEST thing I ever did whilst picking up a car was the 1st January 1993, living in Derby. went to Wycombe to pick up my brand new Volvo 480. All white and beautiful. I sat in their car park for about 10 minutes just going "Lights go up, Lights go down, Lights go up, Lights Go Down" Every time I see one (rare) nowadays I always repeat the mantra "Lights go up, Lights go down".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I collected my first XF I drove straight home with it, a journey of some 23 miles. It took me about 8 hours to get home and at least 1 tank of fuel too so initial impressions of the MPG were very poor, then I checked the mileage and saw that it was reading 517 miles and change, I guess i must have taken a detour or two :p
We did warn you about the satnav!:lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked mine up on the Friday afternoon in Huddersfield then drove home about 10 miles.

Loaded it up with luggage and next morning set off for a week in Somerset touring.

Fantastic week!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi

I was really sadistic, drove mine straight round to a friend's place (and he is still a friend) to show him what he was missing after he introduced me to the XF and then decided it wouldn't fit in his garage (actually he couldn't really justify getting one). The ingrained look of envy and sadness on his face made me feel very bad......until I got back the car to drive away, then the whole smiley bit came back. I have chauffeured him around in the XF several times since to make up for my act of sadism.

TT

·
Registered
70 Posts
My first XF experience was in Feb 2011, got lost using the Nav. After finding my way, drove on the motorway at around 100km/h, bloody nervous as everyone was starring at me. Then I replaced it in April 2011, which I drove from the showroom straight for a holiday at the coast in Umhlanga Rocks - about 650km trip. What an experience! This is caviar and everyone was asking if it was black or what colour was it - that was well deserved attention, of which the XF still attracts.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A blast over the North Yorkshire Moors for fish & chips at Whitby :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts