XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyres - what are the stock/OEM supplied tyres on the new XF 3.0D S with 20” Selena i.e. what manufacturer are they and what size and spec? Any one have any idea of replacement costs fitted?

My X5 has huge Michelins at nearly £400 per corner I got them little cheaper by shopping around and I also have them insured against accidental damage this actually proved very worth while as I have had to replace 2 tyres under the insurance scheme! - Richard

·
Vendor
561 Posts
The 20" tyres are Dunlop Sport Maxx, 255/35 R20 Y.

These are available as genuine Jaguar approved spec tyres form Black Circles (blackcircles.com) for £184 each delivered inc VAT. Just had a set last week and can confirm they are the real thing with J badging on the sides denoting a Jaguar spec. The dealer wanted £245 plus VAT each for the same tyre.

The XFR also uses this tyre but with a 285/30 R20 rear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SpiresST said:
The 20" tyres are Dunlop Sport Maxx, 255/35 R20 Y.

These are available as genuine Jaguar approved spec tyres form Black Circles (blackcircles.com) for £184 each delivered inc VAT. Just had a set last week and can confirm they are the real thing with J badging on the sides denoting a Jaguar spec. The dealer wanted £245 plus VAT each for the same tyre.

The XFR also uses this tyre but with a 285/30 R20 rear.
Hi thanks for the prompt reply so it’s probably not worth insuring at that sort of cost.
My current Michelin Diamaris the rear ones are 315/35WR20 so a lot more rubber, looks like the Jag will be cheaper to run than the Beemer well on tyres anyway – what sort of mileage are people getting for a set of rears? Richard

·
Registered
319 Posts
What make OEM tyres [18"] can I expect on my newly ordered 2.2 PL XF please, anyone?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you can expect Pirelli P Zeros on your 2.2 PL.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you can expect Pirelli P Zeros on your 2.2 PL.

Regards,

Mike
Thanks Mike, that doesn't sound very encouraging after reading many of the adverse comments elsewhere in the Forum relating to the P Zeros. Unless, that is, anyone knows better?

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Thanks Mike, that doesn't sound very encouraging after reading many of the adverse comments elsewhere in the Forum relating to the P Zeros. Unless, that is, anyone knows better?
As always for tires, there's no free lunch. Tire reviews and even other drivers views count for little unless they accord with your own. Pirelli tire engineers are at least as good as those at Michelin or Continental. Pirelli delivers a different set of trade offs which may or may not meet with your approval. I like them. I find Michelins tend to ride very hard and get noisy as they age. Also, Michelin tend to favour dry grip over wet, something Pirelli sells different tires for. There are at least three variants of P Zero if you include the crazy Corsa.

Finally, the J designation means nothing of interest to a driver. Neither does Porsche's N designation or Mercedes whatever letter they use. It simply means that the tire manufacturer sells enough to that car manufacturer to stick a "special" letter on the sidewall. It could as easily mean a special cheaply made tire just for Jaguar as anything superior. In fact, in Jaguar's case I think that is what it means!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have had Pirelli P Zeros before on a Volvo and loved them.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
I have had Pirelli P Zeros before on a Volvo and loved them.
See, that's a data base of two who like Pirelli.

You may find Pirelli charges less than Michelin for a similar tire. I know Jaguar will shop around for the best price for their tires. For sure!

Anything aftermarket remotely similar to the factory fitment is likely to be much better than the factory tire even if they bear the same name. The factory buys the cheapest tire that meets their requirements. The aftermarket is trying to lure you away from that tire choice.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Canetois, I've been driving a SV8 for 5 years now and it was originally shod with P Zeros. I was very happy with the overall performance of the tyres and have changed them 3 times now. I agree with Jagular that there are trade-offs with allt he tyres and I like the general performance of the pirellis.
jaguar in the UK have supplied both Pirelli and dunlops as standard equipment and although I also like the dunlops I prefer the performance of the P Zeros for road use here. They can be difficult to source and hence can be quite expensive but with a little foresight I can usually get them for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Grateful thanks guys for your very speedy responses. Can't wait for the replacement vehicle irrespective of tyres (tires for Jagular). I'll just have to like them or lump them and will make an effort to let you know what I think of them in due course. cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maxxis Pro Tyres

Anyone had experience of Maxxis Pro tyres?
I will very shortly need 4 new 245/45 ZR18 tyres. Original tyres on vehicle from new are Pirelli PZeros - i've had 16000+ miles out of these and replacements are being quoted at £190.00 each - or - Dunlops at £180.00 each - or - Maxxis Pro at £110.00 each. The supplier has told me I will get the same performance and safety from either option BUT may experience more road noise from the Max Pro tyres. Anyone have any advice/comments/experience?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Anyone had experience of Maxxis Pro tyres?
I will very shortly need 4 new 245/45 ZR18 tyres. Original tyres on vehicle from new are Pirelli PZeros - i've had 16000+ miles out of these and replacements are being quoted at £190.00 each - or - Dunlops at £180.00 each - or - Maxxis Pro at £110.00 each. The supplier has told me I will get the same performance and safety from either option BUT may experience more road noise from the Max Pro tyres. Anyone have any advice/comments/experience?
There are numerous tyre review websites around which you can use to aid your choice but Maxxis are very definitely in the budget class of tyre and I, for one, would never risk a premium car on this rubber. There are also now European standards for fuel economy, wet grip and noise widely available to help you compare.

I had Pirelli P Zeros on my XF initially as factory fit and will NEVER use them again, 10,000 miles and they were shot and I am not a 'push on' type of driver. Grip etc. was excellent but road noise was poor and the wear appalling (as seems to be the case with the Maxxis on a couple of websites). I am not anti-Pirelli choosing to fit P7s on my wife's Audi but I am definitely anti P Zeros.

Dont know where you are in the N East but I had 4 of the new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45x18s fitted at £175 each at a very friendly tyre fitter very close to the Newcastle bridge, Gateshead side on the right of the approach road going North. Didnt have them on for long before I switched to my winter Nokians but in that time they were noticeably quieter and seemed to perform well.

At the end of the day you pays your money and you makes your choice as they say but you generally get what you pay for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are numerous tyre review websites around which you can use to aid your choice but Maxxis are very definitely in the budget class of tyre and I, for one, would never risk a premium car on this rubber. There are also now European standards for fuel economy, wet grip and noise widely available to help you compare.

I had Pirelli P Zeros on my XF initially as factory fit and will NEVER use them again, 10,000 miles and they were shot and I am not a 'push on' type of driver. Grip etc. was excellent but road noise was poor and the wear appalling (as seems to be the case with the Maxxis on a couple of websites). I am not anti-Pirelli choosing to fit P7s on my wife's Audi but I am definitely anti P Zeros.

Dont know where you are in the N East but I had 4 of the new Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 245/45x18s fitted at £175 each at a very friendly tyre fitter very close to the Newcastle bridge, Gateshead side on the right of the approach road going North. Didnt have them on for long before I switched to my winter Nokians but in that time they were noticeably quieter and seemed to perform well.

At the end of the day you pays your money and you makes your choice as they say but you generally get what you pay for.
Thanks for your informative input "perussell" - I'll do a little more reseach, and yes I do agree in general, "you get what you pay for" - and I don't really want to compromise on safety.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Don't forget Continentals. These guys are at the top of their game at the moment in all three categories: summer, winter and no-season.

The Extremewinter is the best snow tire out there for the money. The North American model of the all-season: DWS, is a fantastic tire in a very dull category. The performance summer range is getting rave reviews.

There are some reasonable performers in the lower price ranges but, really, is it worth saving a few hundred only to pay your excess after you stuff it into a guardrail on a rainy night? UK roads present significant hazards, routinely, from heavy traffic on very high speed roads to dark and twisty narrow roads all complicated by some seriously challenging wet conditions. Your tires are your first and last defence on the road, regardless of personal skill levels. Great tires are a pleasure to drive on for five years. Poor tires are just awful for five years.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree with Jagular, Continental tyres have a great reputation in my household for lasting, yet still gripping just as well as softer compound tyres. I went through a set of Michelins and a set of Dunlops on my old Audi S3, the Continentals lasted longer than either and were also quieter. That said, the Michelins felt far more planted in wet weather. I've got dealer Pirellis on my XF, but as I've only driven ~200 miles in it I can't comment on how they feel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If, as intimated above, the OEM P Zeros are standard on the 2.2PL, do they afford any rim protection please, anyone. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Yes, but not as well as some.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i am eager to try the michelin pilot super sports. its a ultra high performance tyre meant for high end luxury cars. Supposedly it has alot of R&D and engineering behind it. i've tried it on my previous car, it was perfect. can't wait to finish my tyres (pirelliis) before i change to these. lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts