XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first suffered a kerbed wheel rim, as a result of a pushy TFL bus driver, I was put out by it and investigated possible repair solutions. I trawled the Google advertisers and even bought a DIY pack but did not go further.
Time has passed and I have attracted a scratch, mainly very minor, on almost every wheel and now I am wondering if it is worth having them refurbished.
When the car is cleaned and polished I suspect that the average onlooker would not notice any blemish. When its dirty, they certainly wouldn't :lol:
So, am I now paying too much attention to an issue that is more in my mind than others?
Have you got scratches? Do you live with them or did you have them repaired? If you have had a repair done, what was the cost? Are you now much more careful or have you scratched them again :?: :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would be inclined to get hold of Chipsaway, Pekem. As you probably know, they do repairs at your home and I believe they deal with refurbishing wheels these days as well as scratches, bumper and interior plastic repairs etc. A detailing company might be able to polish out the scratches, of course. Why don't you wait until the worst of the winter is over, all the salt gone, and book your pride and joy in for a machine polish detail to celebrate its first birhday - chances are that the same people can refurb your alloys. I have sort of resolved that I am going to have mine spruced up professionally once a year. If you type "detailing + your county" into google you're bound to find a company that do it. Trouble is, you'll then find yourslef not sure what polish/sealant have - there seem to be hundreds and most of us have never heard of them!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with others I always get my wheels professionally refurbed at about £50 a corner, not just a roadside or at home repair from Chips Away etc. The wheel comes off, sealant is removed, damage ground out then repainted and sealed. If the damage is bugging you it's worth it to get it sorted - sod everyone else, you'll notice the difference!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes DeKay,
You and others are right; my concern is that some scratches I have collected have happened without me noticing. I am loathe to spend £50/70 wheel and not know how or when ( thinks, maybe it's the wife :eek: ) the damage occurrs. It could be as bad a week or two later. Also, it is only when I wash the wheels that I think about it. Your posting has made my day. :(
No, I will think about it a little longer and maybe the problem will go away :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
The problem will never go away (unless you are talking about the wife and then you can live in hope :lol: ) YOU will always know the damage is there. For the sake of 60 notes a couple of times a year get them done.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Pekem, stop being tight and get them done :)
I had mine repaired within 2 weeks of kerbing it, kept thinking everyone was looking at it whilst thinking "lovely car, shame the drivers crap"!
A bit more expensive for me, £80. But still glad I've had it done.
As for the scratches appearing without your knowledge, that'll cost about £500 to fix.
Look in auto trader, buy a £500 banger and make the other half drive that! :D

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zx10ben said:
In addition, you now HAVE to do what I say becuse I'm now an EXPERT! Wehey!
Ah yes, an Expert :!: Isn't that a "drip under pressure" :lol:
Congratulations Benn, its one way of getting promotion. Mark you, next you become a Genius and isn't it said that is close to madness :lol:

Anyway, I will get the wheels done, you have all shamed me in to it :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts