XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I fit a roof box, or roof bars to an XF?

I am due for a new car, and very keen on the XF. However, a major concern is that there does not seem to be the option of fitting a roofbox. Is this correct? If it is not an official accessory, will it be possible to fit one in some way?

If there is no option, I find this an arrogant approach on the part of Jaguar for a model it wants to attract a younger generation. Why should they not offer it, when as far as I can tell, its available for other sallons? Is the assumption that the sort of people who drive an XF would never want to go camping, ski-ing or carry bicycles?? We are a family of four. I want a car I enjoy driving every day. I don't want an estate, and certainly not a people carrier / minibus. I currently drive a BMW 320d saloon. The roofbox adds 450 litres and is excellent for holidays. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum PHE :)
I am sure you are correct that no provision is made to allow the fixing of a rack or box on the roof of an XF. Quite why, I do not know. Perhaps a question that you should direct to Jaguar through Customer Services.
However, I have seen a contraption that may provide a solution at:
http://www.handirackuk.com/

·
Registered
306 Posts
You can put whatever box you like on the roof.

How long it stays there is another matter, and that is down to your driving... :eek:

Sorry, only joking :D

I thoroughly recommend the car, so if you can find a way of carrying whatever without a roofbox then go ahead. But as Pekem says, ask Jaguar, as the more people ask...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the tip Pekem. However, this inflatable roof rack system looks OK for going to the beach, but probably insufficient for a longer trip, and the storage bag is not that big. Also, not secure if you stop in a town for lunch, etc.

I'm surprised this isn't an issue for more people. For me, if I haven't got room for a family holiday in comfort, this is a big drawback. It doesn't automatically rule out the XF, but I'll have to consider carefully.

Again, it seems arrogant on the part of Jaguar to not permit this. I will check further with the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer confirms roof box not an option. I will try and email Jaguar company to ask for a justification.

Thanks for the trailer suggestion, but a lot more hastle, and I couldn't get it down to my cellar for storage, as I do with the current roofbox, and no room for outdoor storage.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
PHE said:
Thank you for the tip Pekem. However, this inflatable roof rack system looks OK for going to the beach, but probably insufficient for a longer trip, and the storage bag is not that big. Also, not secure if you stop in a town for lunch, etc.

I'm surprised this isn't an issue for more people. For me, if I haven't got room for a family holiday in comfort, this is a big drawback. It doesn't automatically rule out the XF, but I'll have to consider carefully.

Again, it seems arrogant on the part of Jaguar to not permit this. I will check further with the dealer.
I don't think that is fair PHE :)
I do not carry a brief for Jaguar but I suspect that they might say that the car's design language, as they put it, is not that which demands provision for such facilities.
I am sure that someone within Jaguar will explain why it is so if you ask, finding the right person might be a difficulty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pekem said: "I suspect that they might say that the car's design language, as they put it, is not that which demands provision for such facilities."

You know what? I am 44 years old. But I am not a bank manager. I have a life. Also, I have not lost my youth so much that I am happy to drive a people carrier, urban 4x4, Volvo, etc. I want a car that is enjoyable to drive. Hence my initial interest in the XF. To suggest that a Jaguar driver should not have an interest in adventure perhaps says it all. I also note that Jaguar does not intend to produce an estate version of the XF, despite the fact that its direct competitors do. Old fashioned British arrogance. I will now have a close look at the Audi A6. (To note: I hate the look of the current BMW series 5, and have always found Mercedes too 'bling'. )

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
PHE said:
Pekem said: "I suspect that they might say that the car's design language, as they put it, is not that which demands provision for such facilities."

You know what? I am 44 years old. But I am not a bank manager. I have a life. Also, I have not lost my youth so much that I am happy to drive a people carrier, urban 4x4, Volvo, etc. I want a car that is enjoyable to drive. Hence my initial interest in the XF. To suggest that a Jaguar driver should not have an interest in adventure perhaps says it all. I also note that Jaguar does not intend to produce an estate version of the XF, despite the fact that its direct competitors do. Old fashioned British arrogance. I will now have a close look at the Audi A6. (To note: I hate the look of the current BMW series 5, and have always found Mercedes too 'bling'. )
I accept that it is not entirely analogous but I have never seen a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar XJ, S Type or indeed a late model prestige Mercedes or BMW Saloon sporting a roof rack.
Jaguar must be the arbiters of their target market and their positioning within it, and presumably they are content.

So if Audi beckons, and I have seen an Estate version with a roof rack, then maybe Audi it must be; but that will be a shame because you will deny yourself a superior motoring experience.
Please don't all tell me that if I sit outside Dover Harbour I will see examples of those cars with roof racks; I am simply saying I can't recall having seen one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
tbh i think you might actually be pleasantly surprised at the size of the boot in the XF ;)

in my case, buying the XF was partially justified to the missus by being able to fit a big pram in the boot as well as loads of other baby/kiddy paraphernalia - it's way more practical than my old S-type in that respect. i looked at estates, but i think the XF offers equivalent loadspace to a volvo or saab, albeit without the hatchback.

in terms of carting bikes around, i'm sure you could get a cycle rack to fit

for info, i'm 32, and also have a life, including a 14 month old and a new baby on the way. the XF is going to fit the family car role a lot better than the S did. and i steadfastly refuse to even contemplate MPVs or SUVs also:)

edit - just to add, i'd be surprised if some of the bigger roofrail/box companies like thule etc couldn't sort something, or it may be that they've got something in the pipeline - looking down on my car, it does have the rain guttery things running the length of the roof that racks normally fix to :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've looked at the Thule website, and although they don't (yet) mention the XF, the prospect of them having something to fit looks promising.

For my current BMW 320d, I have a BMW roof box and bars. Easy to fit and remove.

XF could now be back in the running. I will test drive the A6 this week. But true, that its a car that doesn't have any pazzaz. Very much for those who wish to remain 'understated'.

As for MPVs and SUVs? Dead against MPVs. Have been against SUVs in urban environment - but test drove the Freelander 2 on Saturday, and very tempted. Like the Jaguar, it seems of a very high standard with lots of great options for the budget. Can I justify it? Well, its no longer than my 320d, and only a little wider. The new manual will do 179 g/CO2 per km (with an auto stop/start when idling in traffic/ at lights). The automatic is a great drive, but does 224 gCO2/km, so more of a guilt trip. Whoops - wrong forum (see http://www.freel2.com).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have found on the thule website the bits you need for the XF

For your JAGUAR, 2009, XF, 4-dr, Sedan you need
Thule Rapid System
Foot pack 750
Square/Aero Bar 762 or 862
Kit 1527
Lock 544

The total kit is about £170.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
pwhiffin said:
I have found on the thule website the bits you need for the XF

For your JAGUAR, 2009, XF, 4-dr, Sedan you need
Thule Rapid System
Foot pack 750
Square/Aero Bar 762 or 862
Kit 1527
Lock 544

The total kit is about £170.
Warm welcome to the forum pwhiffin :)
I wonder if your use of the term "Sedan" is significant in this matter :?:
Visiting the Thule site that responds to a UK Gooogle search the Jaguar options do not include the XF that I could see.
Is is perhaps that your are in the U.S or Australia, where the term Sedan is used I think and that from wherever you are another Thule site is available?
It would be really excellent if you would complete a little of your Profile so that we know where in the world you are :)

http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/carMakeList.asp

Jaguar Options that pop up on the above site.
Daimler 4.2
Daimler Double Six
S Type 99-
Sovereign
X Type 01-
X Type roofrailings 03-
X Type roofrailings 03- Option 2
XJ6/XJ12
XJS

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
RPB1 said:
Hi,

I think pwhiffen may have got the info via here http://www.roofracks.co.uk/main/thule_framset.htm type in JAGUAR, 2009, choose XF, 4-dr, Sedan

which takes you to the internals of a worldwide thule site

http://82.145.131.168/fitguide/carneeds.asp?LangID=3&Lang=ENG&CarID=30&Car=JAGUAR&YearID=54&Year=2009&DoorID=4&Door=4-dr&CarTypeID=12&CarType=Sedan&Model=S-Type&AccID=0&Acc=&CouCodeID=16

lists xf but I'm not sure that this is correct? Can anyone enlightened us?

Richard
Well done for finding that link :)
I am sure you are right, it probably is an error because if one clicks on the fitting instructions for the XF one is confronted with this message:
"Incorrect link"
"The link you gave did not work first time, either because the page it points to has been deleted or moved."

That was true, the first time I tried it. Second time loaded a .pdf file relating to an S Type :!:
I see no reason for Thule to publish false information and there is no doubt that they told me that they were presently testing equipment for the XF and that if all is well it was expected that it would be available late Summer / early Autumn.

·
Registered
92 Posts
just ordered by roof box and aero bars from roofbox.com. They are on back order. I spoke with Thule and they have passed testing and should be available for delivery in approx 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hope you post pics so that we can hate them!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
PHE said:
Can I fit a roof box, or roof bars to an XF?

I am due for a new car, and very keen on the XF. However, a major concern is that there does not seem to be the option of fitting a roofbox. Is this correct? If it is not an official accessory, will it be possible to fit one in some way?

If there is no option, I find this an arrogant approach on the part of Jaguar for a model it wants to attract a younger generation. Why should they not offer it, when as far as I can tell, its available for other sallons? Is the assumption that the sort of people who drive an XF would never want to go camping, ski-ing or carry bicycles?? We are a family of four. I want a car I enjoy driving every day. I don't want an estate, and certainly not a people carrier / minibus. I currently drive a BMW 320d saloon. The roofbox adds 450 litres and is excellent for holidays. Any ideas?
Can you please tell me why just because a product doesn't suit your lifestyle it is deemed arrogant.
The Xf is one of the most successful cars ever built by Jaguar and applauded by almost everyone, worldwide.
Monsoon dont sell 50 pence T shirts and Ferrari a small economical diesel family car, by your standards that makes them arrogant!!
Buy the Audi and like many ex BMW drivers, lets see who becomes what?
Try like most of us to congratulate Jaguar on producing a stunning car which saved a great British marque.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts