XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a technical question that maybe Spires can answer!

What is the explanation for the BHP boost in the 3.0D 'S' compared with the 'base' 3.0D?

Is it simply an ECU remap (I have a sneaking suspicion it is- this was a trick Saab used to do with their high performance cars) or have Jaguar done anything to physically change the engine hardware or specification?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I note that ecu and exhaust are different but what about brakes and suspension?? In terms of the S package I think you get 20" wheels and a spoiler

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
XF Long Wait said:
I note that ecu and exhaust are different but what about brakes and suspension?? In terms of the S package I think you get 20" wheels and a spoiler
Don't quote me, but I'm fairly sure the 20" wheels and the spoiler don't increase the BHP that much ;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
zx10ben said:
XF Long Wait said:
Don't quote me, but I'm fairly sure the 20" wheels and the spoiler don't increase the BHP that much ;)
really?? ahh why did i bother with the S then :eek: :D :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
SpiresST said:
Everything is the same except ECU, wheels and spoiler.
Err... and the price ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

This is similar to the Mercedes Benz 280 v 320 CDi engine story i.e. different power outputs and prices etc.

It would seem illogical. although not impossible (blatant profiteering :shock: ) that the engines/inlet/outlet manifolds/turbos etc. were identical and that the difference between XF 3.0 and 3.0 'S' is only a boot lip spoiler and an 'S' badge.

Aftermarket tuning of ML 280 CDi v ML 320 CDi gave lower outputs for 280 (if difference was only ecu the same outputs for both engines should have been achievable) so there must have been an 'engine' difference....what that may have been I don't know.

Computer chip makers (Intel etc.) make a wad of chips then rate them on performance/stability with the 'best' being sold @ higher prices....and an engine closer to 'blueprint' should be more efficient/powerful than one 'further' from blueprint.

It could be that 'S' engines are selected during running in process?

This is an entirely subjective viewpoint as I have an 'S' on order and don't want to be considered a 'mug' i.e. paying £3K for a badge/lip spoiler and an ecu remap :shock: .

Cheers,

Dieter

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum DieterXF :lol:
You might be right about the "chip" cost / performance thing but I can't help thinking that the products of companies like Intel increase in power and fall in price over a few years so it will be an explanation for today.
I seem to remember that penultimateblack wrote about how he was able to to justify the purchase of the S variant; all to do with wheels and bits and pieces I think.
Anyway, I am sure that any mention of him being taken for a mug will have him out and fighting :lol:

By the way, you are now on the Roll of Honour joining others waiting for their new XF
Also, you might as well tell us if you chose Ultimate Black :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=707&p=5335#p5335

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

I was going for ultimate black (current ML is obsidian black) but saw Lunar grey in showroom so went with that.

Re the cpu chip argument: the turnover (development of cpu's)/volume is so much faster than the turnover of engines etc. so comparable rapid cost efficiences etc. (for engine production etc. are much less likely ;) .

Cheers,

Dieter

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
I seem to remember that penultimateblack wrote about how he was able to to justify the purchase of the S variant; all to do with wheels and bits and pieces I think.
Anyway, I am sure that any mention of him being taken for a mug will have him out and fighting :lol:
I think I justified buying the Portfolio version because the extra goodies were worth more than the price difference with the Premium Luxury. Don't forget the 3.0D S comes with more power and a warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts