XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of the Blind Spot Monitor :?:

In our poll for the favourite extra, http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=577
the Blind Spot Monitor has not covered itself in glory.

How useful do you find it :?:
Personally, I am pleased I have it because it has on a number of occasions alerted me to traffic, but generally at a time when I did not have any intention of moving out of the lane I was in.
I am wondering if the value of the system is akin to the Air Bags inasmuch as their value only becomes real in a true emergency?

·
Registered
16 Posts
invaluable

however i fear i may be a danger to the public in other cars where such a feature is not available

I get very scared of motorbikes overtaking me , and me hitting them and this gadget see the bikers (who appear not to like life very much)

·
Registered
294 Posts
On early impressions, I wouldn't have intended to get it another time. However, I want to wait until the summer, when I'll have done a fair mileage (kilometrage?) in France before coming to a final conclusion.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steamdreamer said:
On early impressions, I wouldn't have intended to get it another time. However, I want to wait until the summer, when I'll have done a fair mileage (kilometrage?) in France before coming to a final conclusion.
Would you not buy it in the future perhaps because the value has not been demonstrated yet :?:
As I suggested earlier; I suspect that in the main, the value is dubious until an emergency situation develops; then it might well be worth having.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Not really, pekem. I think its more that I've always been a big user of wing mirrors and that I instinctively move my head to cover the blind spot, such as it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think that the answer may depend a lot from where you drive the car. I live in Toronto, Canada and we have several multiple lanes highways around town. Besides in Canada passing to the right is legal. Under these conditions the blind spot monitor is a real blessing: when I change lane I use it all the time.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lizzola said:
I think that the answer may depend a lot from where you drive the car. I live in Toronto, Canada and we have several multiple lanes highways around town. Besides in Canada passing to the right is legal. Under these conditions the blind spot monitor is a real blessing: when I change lane I use it all the time.
So perhaps Lizzola you recorded the Blind Spot Monitor as your favourite extra here:
http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=577
At present the Rear Camera and all round Parking Sensors is in the lead :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I find it a useful aid, but still not fully confident it detects all vehicles...

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did not go for the Blind Spot option as my dealer said it will give false readings on narrow lanes (I live in Somerset!). He said that abroad in Spain it worked well, but was perhaps more suited to some other countries than the UK.

I also believe that the habit of looking over your shoulder is a good one.

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
twosheds said:
I did not go for the Blind Spot option as my dealer said it will give false readings on narrow lanes (I live in Somerset!). He said that abroad in Spain it worked well, but was perhaps more suited to some other countries than the UK.

I also believe that the habit of looking over your shoulder is a good one.
I can't believe I have just read that :!:
It will certainly react to hedgerows and daft sheep but that can't be a reason for not having it on the A39 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blind Spot Monitor Fault

I've been trying to get the dealer to sort this issue for some time. Blind spot monitor just goes into 'super sensitive' mode and flashes on for everything within a few feet of the offside, eg hedges on country lanes, armco on motorway, etc etc. Nearside not so much of a problem. It's been in three times for this now, the last time I had to get Jaguar HQ involved as the dealer wanted me to insure the cost of strip down (remove rear bumper) to investigate if no fault was found. Needless to say I didn't and they did it all foc, but found no fault. Put it all back together and it worked for a few months OK, but now back on the blink and out of warranty. Silver tape on the mirrors is the only cure as it's very distracting at night. One of the most useless features ever in my opinion and would never spec it again. ANyone with similar issues and found a cure? (You can't disconnect the mirror loom as it then registers a fault on the info display !)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts