XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to this forum and have been looking to buy a new car to replace my 4 year old BMW 730d sport. Having looked at the usual german alternatives a test drive in the XF was all I needed to make my decision.

Just as I was about to sign for a new 3.0d Lux in black (with few extras) for just on £32k. The salesman pointed out a used (demonstrator) 2.7d Premium Luxury in ultimate black with every extra and I mean everything. 20" wheels, B&W hifi, Bi-Xenons, Sunroof, Adaptive cruise control, Parking Camera, Voice, Sunblind, Heated/Cooled seats, TV function, blind spot mirrors, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Heated Wheel... I think the only thing it hasn't got is the garage door opener and Ivory leather.

Now the car is used but it is a January 09 with only 3500 miles on the clock. A £45K list price car for £1000 less than the new one I was going to order. Same colour same leather only difference is the 2.7 engine rather than the 3L although with the £1K I saved I suppose I could invest in a Spires conversion :twisted: and have a similar power output to the 3L.

To me it seemed like a no-brain decision and I bought the lightly used one which I will pick up next week. :lol:

Just interested to know what others would have done... bought the new or used one?

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Welcome to the forum activ8 :)
You secured a great deal and I for one would have done the same in your situation.
I did exactly that when I bought an S Type a few years ago and I didn't achieve anything like the level of discount against new that you have :eek:
Having said that, I have not regretted paying the price I did for my XF when bought new in March 08 because, in common with others that bought shortly after first launch, we had the pleasure of factory visits, dining, launch parties, all of the associated press hype and the tremendous experience of driving around in a car that created interest and excitement wherever it was seen; priceless. Today it is a much admired car, but rarely does it turn heads in the way it did in those early day. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been looking for a 3.0D XF earlier this year, a modest PLversion. But I was also considering the demo XF 2.7D PL (almost fully loaded) that was for sale at the dealer. In the end, I got a good deal for the demo car, so that's the one I'm drving now. I am really happy with it. Ofcourse the new 3 liter diesel engine was very temping, but more stuff for less money still feels as the best choice.

Good luck with your XF!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great deal active8, and I agree the decision was a no brainer. Be worth checking out the Spires magic, it seems they are able to get close to the 3.0 which will be money very well spent :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I was buying an 'S' I would have also bought the new one :cool:

I am coming from a 730d sport (4 years old). Now this car is about the same performance as the 2.7d and that is what I wanted to replace. If anyone wants to experience takeoff hesitation you need to drive a diesel 730 (e65). Makes the XF look like it has launch control :cool: stamp your foot down in the BM and count to two... then you move.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am now older and more mature and don't require speed anymore so no 3.0ds for me (but I can say that as I have an XKR in the garage, next to my Kawasaki ZX10 :evil: ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts