XF Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, had my xfr 4 years now and after a storm yesterday i noticed lots of water in the footwell Nothing has changed on the car and no sunroof.

Any ideas?

Automotive tire Human body Sleeve Road surface Grey

Sleeve Gesture Finger Nail Thumb
j
Automotive tire Human body Sleeve Road surface Grey
Sleeve Gesture Finger Nail Thumb

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know about the XF's but on my previous X Type the drain under the windscreen scuttle used to occasionally get blocked with leaves etc and caused water to leak into the passenger footwell. Might be worth checking?

Reactions: Paulgeorge01

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if you have driven the car during the storm or it has been static. Here are a few things I have come across over the years that could cause this issue.

I would start by drying out the footwell carpet thoroughly and then start troubleshooting all the various possibilities of where/how the water is entering one at a time. A fast way to dry your carpet is a carpet vac if you have one, then finish off with a hairdryer or heat gun. On completion and during every individual check, then recheck the carpet.

In extreme weather driving rain or surface water penetrating a door seal is a strong possible. I would check for a damaged or deformed door seal. This would be my first check. Ask someone to spray a garden hose around the complete door whilst you observe for leaks from the inside - feeling the carpet. Give the windscreen seal the same treatment, especially the lower section of the seal. Ricardo has already mention the windscreen scuttle drain. A leak in the heater matrix system is also a strong candidate for water in the footwell, before drying up the water does the water smell like coolant or normal water? If it smells like coolant, you probably have a leak in the heater matrix radiator core or hoses in the system. Blocked air-conditioning drain hose. Hope this helps (y).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys i think it was a blocked scuttle drain. Cleared loads of crap out of it so it drains out of the wheel arch freely. Will see whay happens in the next storm.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Door

Atmosphere Liquid Cloud Water Automotive tire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts