XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to Castle Bromwich this morning and had an excellent tour with 2 of my friends.

The 3 of us had our own guide and after having a coffee, watching a promo film (with a bit of safety briefing at the end) we hopped onto a minibus to take us to the assembly line.

Once in there we quickly found my car - it was nearly finished. It didn't have any wheels on though and still had protective shielding on parts of it.

After watching my car for a while we went to the start of the assembly line and had a full tour. We popped over the road to watch the drive train being assembled and then back into the main assembly room to watch the "marriage" of the drive train with the body.

We eventually caught my car back up at the top of 5th track - just in time to watch the doors being fitted.

It was more complete now, the protection had been removed and it looked wonderful,

After this, it continued down the line for electrical checks, then the addition of 1st aid kit, leather care kit etc. and then further down it received the fluids.

We bumped into some guys who were surpervisors and had a chat with them and they were most appreciative that I was buying a Jaguar.

Our guide was very patient and knowledgeable and he enjoyed telling the operators that the car car they were helping to build was mine.

We then went into the body shop to see how the shell of the car is made with all the robots.

After this it was time to go - we were there for over 3 hours (a normal tour lasts 2).

But we still had time to stop off and look at the new XJ in one of the showrooms and have a sit in it.

The whole experience was fascinating and worth the trip especially as I was able to see my car actually being assembled.

If anyone would like to know anything else about my trip feel free to ask.

NOW - I can't wait for it to be delivered

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

First aid kit?, leather care kit? where were they hidden? I've not seen nor heard any mention of these before.

That trip to Castle Bromwich is well worth it...although we couldn't co-ordinate it with our car being built.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DieterXF said:
Hi,

First aid kit?, leather care kit? where were they hidden? I've not seen nor heard any mention of these before.

That trip to Castle Bromwich is well worth it...although we couldn't co-ordinate it with our car being built.
Most of the cars being built were for export and so these items could be on the US versions for example.

·
Registered
162 Posts
EDIT:

Ive found out how to get on these tours - just a prebooking needed.

It is unfortunate I cant afford to be out of the office any morning or afternoon to go to this. If myself and my brother (also ordered an XF) do find ourselves with a gap in our calendar it sounds like a thoroughly interesting trip :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
DieterXF, my car came with first aid kit and leather care kit.
The dealer told me that was standard supply from Jaguar. The leather care is good for removing scuffs from the seats, but only a small bottle is supplied.
I guess they want to encourage you to buy the Jaguar brand, hence the freebie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts