XF Forum banner
3361 - 3380 of 3476 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Autocar "Winners and losers in the 2021 UK car market" article sums it up very well

Jaguar down

2020 market share: 1.56%, 2021 market share: 1.14%

The official line is that Jaguars that compete directly with German models will be phased out and amazing new models will arrive. The first half of that strategy is definitely on target.

It must be serious, if even Autocar says it that clearly ;) We will see if this year finally brings some facts about that bright new future. I wish all of us a good year 2022.

·
Administrator
22,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,364 ·
The Autocar "Winners and losers in the 2021 UK car market" article sums it up very well

Jaguar down

The official line is that Jaguars that compete directly with German models will be phased out and amazing new models will arrive. The first half of that strategy is definitely on target.

It must be serious, if even Autocar says it that clearly ;) We will see if this year finally brings some facts about that bright new future. I wish all of us a good year 2022.
Indeed, let’s hope for a better year 😊

Autocar tried to puff JLR in its end of year review by focusing on their hero Thierry Bolloré
On a day when Rolls Royce showed us their future fully electric offering in contrast to a complete absence of anything from JLR.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts

Jaguar down

Meanwhile, a stop-gap product from BMW beats Tesla's showcase product - see Carwow.

BMW has orders for the i4 and iX coming out of its ears.

Forget Jaguar/2025. 2022.5 is crunchtime for Land Rover. That's why it so quiet. The New Range Rover has absolutely bombed. Right product, 3 years too late. Money follows money. Ford dealers are printing it with the electric F-150 for example.

The interesting guy Kyle Conner - Out of Spec(YouTube) - nailed it, said the screaming obvious, just yesterday, that the Rivian R1S, the SUV version of the R1T truck, will be the electric Range Rover - replace the Range Rover - in wealthy areas of the US.

Anyone watching YouTube over the last few months from Gaydon must be scared stiff. All you see is genuine influencers, like Conner, talking about high-price EVs, with of course no mention of JLR/LR.

JLR is the biggest corporate collapse, implosion, you've never heard of. Jaguar is being put out there as a human shield, to divert and cover from the fact that the mothership, Land Rover, has crashed.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Killer words from Mr Conner - 'I think it's gonna be the new Range Rover (of all metropolitan areas)' - @50:24

Killer stats for the ~twice the price New Range (fossil) Rover:

300 miles range
0-60 mph 3s
tow 3.5t
wade depth 900mm

Rivian alone is the 1970 Range Rover (moment) - defines the new era, new-sector defining product.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Anyone thinking the PHEV version of the new Range Rover will save JLR is wrong, As Conner often says, and I agree, PHEVs are the worst of both worlds. JLR will sell a few to British patriots, and that's it. The direction of travel, already there?, is so obviously BEV.

JLR has job adverts for electric this, electric that at the moment. All 5 years minimum too late, and paying peanuts - get monkeys.

The plan was to be shot of JLR 2/3 years ago, by Tata, hence this panicked, ridiculous reaction. Everyone else is launching or has launched BEVs, and JLR is looking for EV 'analysts' on £40k. Maybe they could poach BMW's obviously excellent EV team for 10,000-100,000 times that

JLR survived Dieselgate due to highest-level UK government protection, and the Green fig leaf of the I-Pace.

The EV wave however it will not survive. No one cares if the I-Pace does 300 miles official or 3,000, as no one buys it. No one is buying £50-150k ICEs, and the last remaining reason to buy a posh PHEV SUV went with the loss of London Con charge exemption.

JLR and Tata can go and cry to the UK and Indian govts all they like, but this thing is global and unstoppable.

There's a rumour going around that Tesla may buy Daimler. Maybe Musk has a crush on old Jags, like Ford high-ups did over 30 years ago, with their disastrous purchase of Jaguar. It's JLR's only hope now.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
There's absolutely no news from/about JLR, for so long, that the local rag is embarrassed into having to make some - 90%+ reprinting their expert's view of Jaguar/JLR from almost a year ago, when the Reimagine rubbish was announced:

Nice money-earner for Mr Tennant, by stating the obvious:

'Companies like the American Tesla are cleaning up in this electrified scenario whereas Jaguar[JLR] have missed the boat here.'

- add BMW, Ford, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, VW, Hyundai-Kia... ...everyone, even Toyota now, to that.

JLR has been caught with its pants around its ankles, the literal odd one out of the auto world, because Tata planned, but failed, to sell it 3 years ago.

Tennant must know this, but can't say it, if he wants to keep his local rag media gig - keep BSing the masses until JLR 'suddenly' says it's in an emergency - needs £bns from the UK taxpayer to keep going - to fund its EV transition gap.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
'I-Pace dead' - from 2:55:

referring back to 'it[I-Pace]'s a dud, it's a flop, overpriced... ':

- er, just as I said, pronounced, a small matter of 3+ years ago.

And that's why there's no news on JLR, as it was meant to be sold 3 years ago, with the I-Pace as the shopwindow clincher.

The UK and US media daren't go near the 'flop I-Pace' story, or 'JLR marooned as only EV-less global carmaker'.

This nonsense can't continue. EVs are the only game in town. The new Range Rover is a bigger flop, dud... , than the I-Pace was 3 years ago. Much better car, but irrelevant. People with $70-100k to spend on a premium SUV will walk past the Defender right to Rivian and co.

That's why there's no news. The news is JLR is in deep, terminal sh!t.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Someone dares to say the emperor has no clothes:

'Shares of Tata Motors Ltd. fell the most in over a week after CLSA downgraded the stock to 'sell', citing an overvalued domestic passenger vehicle business and slower electric vehicle ramp-up by its luxury brand Jaguar Land Rover.

JLR does not have any launches in battery EVs till 2024, which could pose a risk to our volume estimates.'

Read more at: Tata Motors Shares Slip After CLSA Says 'Sell'
Copyright © BloombergQuint

- 'slower' - you mean non-existent until they could not sell JLR 3 to 4 years ago, and now still 2 to 3 years away.

Rivian alone must have spooked the hell out of Tata investors - the few who are not Tata themselves.

The BMW iX shows what money could have been made by JLR/Tata, if JLR had been run as a car company, and not a thing to sell, with the media's servile help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are news about the Mercedes Vision EQXX concept everywhere, and what a glimpse into the (near) future that is. Here is the Autocar article.

Some quotes from that:
It uses a prototype of Mercedes-Benz's next-generation EV drivetrain, with innovative battery technology that will enter production in 2024.
... more than 6.2 miles per kWh... has been achieved using a newly developed motor and a bespoke lithium ion battery, which, at just under 100kWh, has a lower overall energy capacity than the EQS... new battery is also claimed to be “50% the size” of the EQS’s 107.8kWh pack and is some 35% lighter, at about 495kg.

So that is what Mercedes has in mind for 2024. They will set the bar much higher.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
So that is what Mercedes has in mind for 2024. They will set the bar much higher.
JLR is now the new maker of Edwardian 'brass cars', 'horseless carriages':

The market is tiny - Prince Andrew, the Royals, the Home Counties Holdouts, that's it.

Not a peep from Sir Ralf Speth, or anyone in the British establishment, Media, and Govt about how disgraceful this handling of JLR has been, now causing it to be washed up, effectively useless and worthless, and irrelevant.

As the Electric Viking says, and as I've said for years, its only hope is for someone, probably Chinese, maybe the Saudis, to buy JLR, and take the only bit that's of worth - the name, 'Land Rover/Range Rover' - and make cars at the lower end abroad, badged up, and a few high-ends in the UK, like BMW/Rolls-Royce, VAG/Bentley.

That would save at most 5,000 jobs, and only require one site. The scum 'running' this country(into the ground) must know this, but are too cowardly to tell the people.

Sales of rubbish like £50k or more ICE/PHEV Evoques, DSports and Velars have collapsed. The only thing holding up JLR over the last year/2 years was the RRSport/Defender/Full-fat car. No one will touch it/them now, if the money's coming out of their own pockets. You buy/lease an iX, E-tron, Model X etc instead.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
BMW's decent PHEVs, i3, and new 'i' cars, i4 and iX, makes it the best-selling make in Belgium in 2021:

Why on earth would BMW partner with, give away their obviously very good EV tech, to a rapidly disappearing without trace, deadweight JLR?

Giving JLR/Tata an obsolete 14 year old engine, the V8, is one thing, and probably a nice earner on the side, but not your core tech for the current and future, which you'll need every bit of to stave off the threat of yourself going out of existence, due to the Chinese and Korean EV makers, and VAG and Daimler/Geely on your doorstep.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Oh look, another maker unable to keep up with EV demand:

Why would investors pay Tata £30-50bn in a flotation, not far off (EV)Ford's market cap., when JLR hasn't a single EV, or at least one doing genuine more than 5% of F-150 Lightning or Mustang Mach-E demand?

Ford will be doing at least 600k EVs a year by the time JLR is ready to present its first EV - the BEV Range Rover.

The joke's over. No one is going to wait around 2, maybe 3 years, before JLR joins the game, when 6 months in the current EV environment is an eternity, due to the pace of change.

You either fess up now, admit you were running the company just to sell it, 3/4 years ago, and hence have no EV offering, and look to be bailed out by UK taxes - too key to fail - or you keep up this charade, abetted by the spineless media, feckless/criminal govt/regime, and wait for the wolves to rip JLR apart - the Chinese will make some derisory offer to Tata to take JLR off its hands, and then make badged cars in China, MG Rover mark two, with huge redundancies, and the collapse of the phony B'ham/Solihull and Midlands economy.

The whole EV thing has passed the UK by. A tiny number of EV Rolls-Royces and Bentleys don't count. The 'Elite', govt, media, civil service, etc, were too busy and consumed with getting no-bid contracts from their mates, for PPE etc, scamming the poor and frightened to death with their scam, the Virus, while quaffing champagne, paid for by these plebs, cheek to jowel, sans masks - maybe the Virus is powerless if you went to private school?

People, regions, whole countries, are making fortunes on the whole EV boom and all its infrastructure. Some YouTubers are making out like bandits on the back of it too. But in UK, nothing. The Plod will even arrest you for livestreaming. The 'Elite' never pay for the energy to move around, whether fuel or electricity, or care not about all that's happening off this insular island. They prefer the train anyway - have a nice snooze - or better still, 'work from home', with endless lockdowns and de facto lockdowns, brought in by these clowns - 'scientists' - social scientists, who did joke Psychology 30 years ago, because they couldn't do maths and physics.

We're a lazy, corrupt, couldn't care less country. Our media write endlessly about our stunning, world-beating cars, that the whole world adores, and can't get enough of. They know it's garbage, and increasingly a blatant lie, sales-wise, but it pays the bills, the private school fees, and the readers don't seem to care it's all rubbish.

The best thing that could happen to us is for JLR to go bang, or at least need to publicly go to the taxpayer with a begging bowl. Time to leave the Spitfire, WWII, Clarkson, Harry's Garage and co., and Stunning JLR cars all behind, lose the comfort blanket, and face harsh reality - the Chinese, Koreans, Americans, yes, Tesla, Ford, Rivian, Lucid etc, Germans, French, everyone, is way ahead of us, left us for dead. We can Free-Trade with India, if that gives us the comfort of two cripples tying their legs together, JLR-Tata, UK-India, NewRaj rubbish.

Or, we can go cold turkey, and start from the bottom, where we are, and try to compete with the rest of the world.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The other cultural cringe Aussie and arch JLR pusher has to say the obvious - JLR is the second to none purveyor of obsolete, dinosaur, irrelevant cars - 'brass cars'. When will Cropley, and the other UK hacks, start to say it?:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Gee., I wonder:

Sweden - Volvo, EV success, little/no Covid tyranny(at least until very recently)
UK - JLR, dead as an ICE'd dodo, Covid propaganda and tyranny 'world-leading'

- could there be a link? Swedes sat out the War(WW II), we 'won it'; Swedes largely sat out the Covid Bollox; we were world-beating at it - Oxford AstraZeneca etc.

·
Registered
83 Posts
BMW's decent PHEVs, i3, and new 'i' cars, i4 and iX, makes it the best-selling make in Belgium in 2021:

Why on earth would BMW partner with, give away their obviously very good EV tech, to a rapidly disappearing without trace, deadweight JLR?
That BMW was the best selling brand in Belgium last year is quite unusual... has never happend anywhere before.

I can still imagine that BMW could partner with JLR. Surely not as a partnership among equals, more in the way as Mercedes/AMG and Aston Martin. The strong presence BMW has in the UK is one reason for that. The news from BMW are fine, last year they reached record sales. Over 2.2 million BMW vehicles, the detailed figures will be out next week. This year, they will create up to 6,000 new jobs. Most of those in Germany, the iX and i4 are in huge demand.

3361 - 3380 of 3476 Posts