XF Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 2398 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Spain, August

- in 'normal' times, Speth's regime at its peak, Land Rover would be +20, 30, 40%, using the Duffender for cover, and Spain one of, if not its favourite dumping ground.

Volvo on fire, again.

- they've given up on the XE, XF and XJ, and F-type's 'bounce' is just the 'New' one being forced on dealers, launch stock, demos, showroom cars etc.

Not a word about Castle Bromwich - UK's 'Stalin Tractor Factory' - unshuttable because of Spitfire, 'We won the war' etc.

- without the suspiciously huge jump on Evoque 'sales' - cars given almost free to rental/lease companies - Land Rover would be in Jag territory, or even worse:

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Yep, looks like the Speth cabal left the taps on and flooded the bogs on the last day of school - a going away present for Terry:

- Hyundai-Kia now with 7% of the German market - ID.3 and MEB cars can't come quick enough.

- Volvo outselling JLR in reality around 3:1 in Germany, tells the final tale of these ex-Ford castoffs, and the 'Big Lie' of JLR being the shooting star, and Volvo a duffer for the scrapheap.

JLR/Volvo/ex-Ford is thee story of the last decade in automotive terms, forget the Tesla nonsense, and yet it's never, ever written about by the media, not even the 'alternative' stuff like Jalopnik, 'The Truth about Cars', or SniffPetrol - are those gimps/shills still on the go - Dick Porter and co.?

Only SMMT and DVLA to spare JLR's/Terry's blushes tomorrow, with their usual tractor stats - surely they won't go rogue/dish the dirt/tell the truth for once? That wouldn't be British. We've standards to maintain.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
'whistleblower', my ar$e:

'The [whistleblowing]employee claimed workers were "dropping like flies."'

- yeah, right. Predominantly twenty-, thirty-, fortysomething, mainly male workers, doing quite physical jobs, just falling off their perch, due to The Black Death. FFS.

This kind of sh!t flew with simpletons back in March and April, but even the thickest now realises it was a Hoax, used to cull the old folk locked up in 'Care' homes, their pensions, benefits etc. drain on the Exchequer, and to terrify half-wits, mainly females, to cling to Big Govt., and follow orders, be a good prole, and indoctrinate your sprogs likewise.

What's really happened is Terry has been looking at the figures, the real ones, since his return from vacances in the last couple of weeks, and realised the depth and horror of the total sh!tshow left behind by Speth and his crew, and 'Job 1' is 'Stop the f*cking line!', stop making any more product, to add to the tens of thousands unsold from Solihull to Sydney.

'The Thing' has been wheeled out to be the excuse to do that - 'workers dropping like flies' - production will have to be suspended. How convenient.

The media, B'ham Live and everyone else, are complicit again in these JLR antics, just as with the more holes in it than a swiss cheese 2017 'Heist', where a moment's thought, two-digit IQ, a tiny bit of actual journalism, would have told these vermin hacks that JLR had done a PR stunt, with the media, Old Bill and Government to the highest levels, and now are using Corona for the same - real demand collapsed/gone, so first order of the day is stop making any more, adding to the piles of unsold vehicles littered all over the world.

JLR's real global sales are tiny presently, less than annual 100k/yr, but Solihull alone has capacity to make 250k+/yr, so the main task of Bollore is to work out how to balance this, the nightmare nonsense left by Speth, so the initial way is to use, blame The Thing, and then, surely, he has to swing the axe, taking out at least half of JLR's capacity - which will have to again be blamed on primarily, majorly The Thing.

Furlough is already tapering, and ends next month, so Bollore knows he has to get rid of up to 20,000 UK JLR workers in the next couple of months.

Unless he moves fast, and blames it all/99% on The Thing - 'workers dropping like flies' - by November/Xmas-time, no one but idiot thirtysomething airhead females - previously Evoque buyers - will swallow that JLR's collapse and mass, massive job losses were all the fault of The Thing.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
ouch:

'Private car demand remains relatively steady, down -1.7%, with 699 fewer registrations, but fleet and business purchases drop by more substantial -5.5% and -57.9% respectively.'

- that's the real market, for anything above £15k, £200/month econoboxes for public transport-avoiding plebs, and has absolutely crashed, due to the end of all those 'Booming Britain' 'businesses', in 'industries' like 'eating out'(£10 for hot water and a 10p cost to make cake), 'property development'(BTL landlords), 'dog-walking', or the 'wedding industry', etc, and so hundreds of thousands of previously '1%-ers', who thought nothing of putting their reward/toy £50-100k cars 'through the business', from dividends paying less than 20% tax, compared to the PAYE/Nat.Ins. etc saps on around 40-45% tax-take, are now buying nothing, rather bricking it over all their commitments, and the prospect of corporation tax going up, or the IR35 tax-dodge ending.

Ford is quietly killing it:

- the new Puma is the poor-woman's 'It' car/XC40 - loads of them about already. A genuinely massively booming sector/segment that JLR is completely locked out of - Evoque/E-Pace too expensive, too heavy/poor mpg/CO2, no PHEV, wrong, 'yesterday's' image, etc.

Notice something else? Not one of UK's top ten best sellers made in the UK, never mind by a British company. Imagine that in any other large, 'leading' country - no, we're 'exceptional', and our role is to police the world anyway.

Thank god we put £100bn+ of taxpayer money into HS2, the pockets of the Tories' builder mates, instead of a British mass carmaker.

Hyundai-Kia also absolutely killing it - headed for 9% of the UK market - totally uncommented on by the media.

Usual tractor stats from SMMT/DVLA/the British state for JLR.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I'm sure JLR won't be in the slightest bit worried, after all, Land Rover's 90%+ diesel-heavy sales are booming, +22% last month, according to official figures - so they must be true - and so 'Ratcliffe's Ripoff' is welcome to the crumbs from JLR's overflowing table:

Back in the real world, Ratcliffe's mob choosing the Concours, at Hampton Court, for the Grenadier's live debut, is another 'tanks on lawn' moment for JLR, and its 'royal' associations.

Sir Jim is making it plain he sees himeself, Ineos and the Grenadier as the real British thing, NOT the Indian-owned outfit, making Slovenders.

Parking on the gravel, with Hampton Court as the backdrop, is saying: 'p!ss off, (Tata's) JLR'.

Ratcliffe knows exactly which buttons to press to chime with the British snob factor, to appeal to the 'Gammon Tendency', the swathe of middle/upper middle-class Brits who are just dying to back 'their' country - most of their income is offshored - with these acts - Hampton court - the 'real' royal palace, not the upstart Duke of Bucks' gaff - the America's Cup - posh/social climbing Brits adore the whole sailing image - British Cycling - 'mamils' buying £10k replica bikes - etc.

The guy impresses, with his nous.

The vehicle itself looks far better in the flesh, the 'real deal'.

Plandemic, nuked economy or not, he'll find 'easy' 10k Brits a year to pay £50-70k, 'fully loaded', for this.

Those handful of people who bought £70k 'Icons', refrocked Disco5s with a 4-pot Ingenium, must feel pretty stupid now.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Odd how almost every global market is so out of step with the stunning success of JLR in the UK, where apparently demand for £50-100k+ diesels and V8s is through the roof:

- it's almost like the worse JLR does everywhere but the UK, the better it does in the UK - those crazy, eccentric Brits again - or Stalin tractor production-shaming propaganda and state-sponsored fraud - I wonder which it is.

What happened to all those gangsters driving, and oligarchs being driven in Range Rover Sports in Moscow and St Petersburg, so beloved of Hollywood and UK, Bourne, James Bond etc, films? Don't tell me that wasn't real life, and just more brainwashing by these reality creators for simpletons, and oligarchs are actually driven around in S-Class and G-Class Guards, A8s and the like?

Jaguar's real sales in Russia are nil. I'll bet the only 'sales' are to UK.gov - Moscow embassy, consulates, and stuff like British Council - all taxpayer paid for.

It's Land Rover that is the death knell for JLR. Prime 'posh 4x4' territory, and JLR is in couldn't score in a brothel territory.

Rich petrolhead Russians, and the satellite states, know more about hp, 0-60, quarter-mile etc than the average petrolhead Brit, due to all those Cold War airstrips, and the size of the country, for mashing the pedal and Vmaxing, so know that the RRSport SVR for instance is a country mile behind the G63 AMG, never mind the Lambo Urus, X5/6 M etc.

The SVR is okay for the Kings Road, and London/UK generally, as here it's all about show and image, and not go.

JLR has become JLR-UK, as I said, just as the mighty 1960s BMC with its global empire became the pathetic parochial BL by the late 70s/80s, selling only to hardcore patriots, aging patriots.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Billionaires and system lackeys like MPs and PMs are seemingly immune from The Thing, as shown by Spaffer and his 50 'cheek by jowl' backbenchers at Wednesday night's 1922 Committee, and Ratcliffe and prospective Grenadier buyers at Hampton Court:

- either that or they know it's all a hoax and theatre for thick-as-sh!t plebs.

...anyway back to 'Does this look like the car that will finish off 'Stunning Success JLR?' - er, yes:

'Delighted by the reaction of the guests to his bruising 4X4, Ratcliffe said: 'It's brilliant. It's the first time I've seen it. I've only seen it in clay model form up to now. It's very exciting.'

Asked to describe the vehicle and its performance, he added: 'It will end up 80 per cent Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon, but at half the price.''

- the man is nothing if not honest and to the point. That's exactly what it is - a half-price G-Wagen(Class), as I said.

How could that not be a massive success? An original G-Wagen for £40-50k, with the world's best six-cylinder engine.

No wonder he looks chuffed. And the icing on the cake is the manna from heaven unexpected gift of a top factory for zilch.

These people know The Thing is theatre for the terminally cretinous, and that 'The Great Reset', planned for 2021, will just make the .01% even more obscenely rich, largely wiping out the middle class, and these people are the ones that adore exquisite toys, like the Grenadier, not unlike the obscenely rich Shah of Iran commissioning the original G-Wagen in the 70s.

£100k Grenadiers will be changing hands, flipped, next year, bank on it, pimped with every extra, option and so on, and then tuners like Mansory will bring out £250k+ versions, maybe semi-official 6x4 ones, and so on.

Notice Daily Mail hack Massey soon lapses into calling Sir James 'Ratcliffe', the hatred, for what he's done to Massey's beloved, gravytrain-giver JLR, palpable.

The Pistonheads clowns will blow a fuse over the Europallet comparison - JLR lied:

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Charlie Chaplin has left the building:

- classy to the end Wasteof giving an 'exclusive' to The Sun, taking Murdoch's shilling as well as about £100m from the UK taxpayer - his pension pot will be enormous.

Small, egomaniac man, with zero self-awareness, thinks he's been a huge success:

‘I-Pace was special magic’

- the slaphead from The Sun was sure he said 'the I-Pace was especially tragic', but some geezer called Clarkson higher up overruled him.

Caption competition:

old evil-looking geezer says to Charlie Chaplin impersonator:

'you're seriously telling me this is an 'Icon'?'

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
PS if I was Juergen Klopp, I'd sue - being associated with Speth. And Opel should sue for being associated with JLR.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
OED: 'chutzpah' - see "Speth"

'I-Pace was special magic':

'I PACE now been in Garage four times now total of 22 days for air conditioning faulty latest update from garage is car has to batteries have to be completely discharged and then charged again they say its a huge task 3 technicians is required to do this 2 working on car and 1 on standby for safety reasons was also advised special PPE mandatary garage also said car will be not be ready for some time apparently another week its a joke I have contacted Jaguar who says they is a procedure to follow if complaints and requests to return car and they are really busy which says a lot and hopefully will get back to me in 5 days well 5 days gone and past and still no communication despite me sending e mails and further phone call which on average take 40 minutes to get through Well Jaguar your customer service is terrible and total lack of care may your business get the success it deserves'

- 'World-beating', 'Magic', 'World Car of the Year', from 'World-beating', 'Stunningly Successful company' = Communist, Brainwashed Britain in meltdown - Soviet Union late 80s/CIS early 90s.

To be fair, aircon is tricky stuff, hard for '13,000 engineers' to master, especially when they're just buying in screw together kits from Valeo, Behr etc, and they are far more interested anyway in 'cutting edge' 'technology', like giving 50p plastic visors to little kids for PR stunts, and working flat-out on Brenda's electric hearse, a Duffender 110, with the coffin on top - no room inside, all batteries.

Someone, who's not insane in batsh!t-insane UK, put an end to this nonsense. We're a laughing stock to the outside world.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Diess(VAG CEO) has to play the game, pat the loon on the head - taking care not to knock his rug off - tell him 'we're best friends', and will be from kindergarten for all our lives, and let him have a go in his new pedal car(ID.3), and tell the simpleton, bachelor of art thicko media vermin that 'Tesla is still ten years ahead of us', and 'may have alien tech', and is exquisitely good at it, like the clever, sly fox he looks like, but the rest of the VAG crew, and 'Germany Auto' no longer feel the need to be so coy, and hiding of their light under a bushel, spelling out what is obvious to anyone with eyes and grey matter:

VW poised to overtake Tesla in EV production and tech, labor chief says

Tesla has, finally, been somewhat called out by the S&P people - they know it's Enron+++, and about to fall over - and Consumer Reports - 'do you want to die/kill others? then spend $8,000 on 'FSD''

Tesla is the US JLR, as I've said dozens of times already. The industry knows it's a joke and a massive fraud, but for the likes of Diess to say this would be suicide - until it happens - due to the power of the 'global', UK/US, media, and the hundreds of millions of lobotomised, man-children geeks worldwide, who see 'fElon' as a god, and the father/father figure they never had.

'Dieselgate-VW''s boss saying fElon is a criminal and Tesla a massive fraud and ponzi would be slitting VAG's throat.

We have similar in this country, where any criticism of JLR, 'Sir' Speth etc is 'talking the country down' - Spaffer and his crew's line - and 'don't you want to support a British company and British jobs?' - by handing over ~£20bn to Indian billionaires, and ~£100m to a third-rate, nasty little sh!t excreted by BMW.

The Skoda Enyaq alone is enough to finish off 'mass EV maker' Tesla, and Lucid plus the EQS enough to kill Tesla 'doing a British car company' - resorting to higher and higher prices, more and more 'premium', and lower and lower volumes/cars sold, until inevitable closure.

The US election will prop it up until year end, but then I'm sure the Chinese will tire of playing along, ramping up massively their own EV programmes, and VAG/Germany will have too much of a foothold, dominating mass-EV, for any new, non-loon Tesla leadership - '(Saint) Musk retiring for health reasons/spend more time with his fake family' - to turn it around - it has nothing of value, except PR/media image, just like JLR.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Volvo 2020 + 'Recharge'/Polestar BEVs = ~x4 JLR:

August
January-August
20192020Change20192020Change
Europe16,63917,4584.9%216,555169,193-21.9%
China14,21215,83511.4%94,59295,9861.5%
US9,19410,37812.9%68,10963,330-7.0%
Other7,7517,568-2.4%63,91254,983-14.0%
Total47,79651,2397.2%443,168383,492-13.5%

Volvo hasn't surpassed JLR, it's dwarfed it.

The XC40/XC BEV Recharge is on course to sell 200k/yr, more than JLR total real on its own.

When the British media/British society is licking the geezer's ar$e who presided over this disaster - Ford's castoffs totally reversed, from 2008/2010 to 2020 - rather than taking him apart, limb from limb - metaphorically - it's no wonder JLR and the UK are in the state they are - bust, broken, pitiful, and yet still believing they're special and world-beating - i.e. psychotic.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I'm sure JLR won't be in the slightest bit worried, after all, Land Rover's 90%+ diesel-heavy sales are booming, +22% last month, according to official figures - so they must be true - and so 'Ratcliffe's Ripoff' is welcome to the crumbs from JLR's overflowing table:

View attachment 50278
Nice car and all, the Grenadier. But what's with the funny wiper on this picture? One single left hand side windscreen wiper, that doesn't even park properly. The photos and videos, we have been shown by Ineos, show two real and properly parked wipers. This one is placed strangely and seems very thin and flimsy. Those photos and videos, were they just Photoshop and computer trickery? Is the car real at all?

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Nice car and all, the Grenadier. But what's with the funny wiper on this picture? One single left hand side windscreen wiper, that doesn't even park properly. The photos and videos, we have been shown by Ineos, show two real and properly parked wipers. This one is placed strangely and seems very thin and flimsy. Those photos and videos, were they just Photoshop and computer trickery? Is the car real at all?
- it's not finished, production status - the joke wiper would have been just in case it rained when out shown at Hampton Court. LHD, no finished interior, just able to be driven.

Already more real buyers for the Grenadier than the Icon:
2021 Ineos Grenadier: 17,000 would-be buyers register interest

Around half I'd say will be flippers. Fair chance of doubling their money.

Only fly in the ointment for Sir Jim is we're obviously - planned all along - going to get No-deal Brexit, so UK buyers will be hit with 10% import tariff.

Matters not, as the buyers/flippers of this can easily afford £60k instead of ~£55k.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
As near as you'll get to the truth, about the UK car market, after last week's tractor stats from SMMT/JLR/UK state:

- the only 'what?!' is Hyundai, which I basically don't believe, either fat-finger data entry, or someone at NFDA with an agenda/axe to grind.

The rest pretty well corresponds with true real booming sales, or otherwise, for the likes of Kia and Toyota, and perhaps a new EV model dragging up overall showroom interest and footfall - MINI and Honda.

The huge 'sore thumbs' are Jaguar and Land Rover - reported by SMMT/JLR/UK state to be either doing at least as well as this time last year, or booming, even with sales of diesel/>£40k cars/behemoth SUVs collapsed.

Jaguar's 'sales' up on Aug '19, when the dealers are at slitting wrists stage, is Communism/state-media brainwashing 'in yer face' - and likewise of course for Land Rover - below average happiness with their franchise, but near off the charts reported 'sales', up over a fifth on Aug '19.

'Jaguar' bottom of all for financial support from factory/JLR:

'Crucially, Hyundai (2.4) and Jeep (3.7) were marked down for the levels of financial support that were forthcoming as their franchisees battled to balance the books during the three-month lockdown period between March 23 and June 1, with Jaguar (2.3) also slipping to the bottom three.'

- in other words, zilch - Speth was about to leave, the company in meltdown, dealers knew this and in turn couldn't give a toss, older dealer principals/owners could see it was BL late 70s/early 80s, and MG Rover 2005 all over again, just when, not if - before Xmas/after Xmas.

'Jaguar'(JLR) bottom again - yet smashing it in the SMMT tractor stats:

'Jaguar foundered at the bottom of the rankings with a current profitability rating of 2.1'

- odd that, the £80k I-Pace is selling like hotcakes.

Uber-successful, vying with 'Porsche' for top-dog in everything, desire factor, profitabilty, profit margin, most valuable brand in the world etc Land Rover/Range Rover somehow can't even make average for profit out of the franchise for the dealer - fat finger? Or truth/near-truth?

Will the general, non-specialist media report on these bombshell findings, which contradict competely the Ministry of Truth tractor stats for JLR last week, and for the previous ten years and more? Will Ray Massey of Daily Fail, Clarkson of 'where's my f*cking bung?!', Cropley of 'have I got to JLR's colon yet?', drop the habit of a lifetime and do journalism? Watch this space - or watch grass grow.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,356
As near as you'll get to the truth, about the UK car market, after last week's tractor stats from SMMT/JLR/UK state:

View attachment 50285

- the only 'what?!' is Hyundai, which I basically don't believe, either fat-finger data entry, or someone at NFDA with an agenda/axe to grind.

The rest pretty well corresponds with true real booming sales, or otherwise, for the likes of Kia and Toyota, and perhaps a new EV model dragging up overall showroom interest and footfall - MINI and Honda.

The huge 'sore thumbs' are Jaguar and Land Rover - reported by SMMT/JLR/UK state to be either doing at least as well as this time last year, or booming, even with sales of diesel/>£40k cars/behemoth SUVs collapsed.

Jaguar's 'sales' up on Aug '19, when the dealers are at slitting wrists stage, is Communism/state-media brainwashing 'in yer face' - and likewise of course for Land Rover - below average happiness with their franchise, but near off the charts reported 'sales', up over a fifth on Aug '19.

'Jaguar' bottom of all for financial support from factory/JLR:

'Crucially, Hyundai (2.4) and Jeep (3.7) were marked down for the levels of financial support that were forthcoming as their franchisees battled to balance the books during the three-month lockdown period between March 23 and June 1, with Jaguar (2.3) also slipping to the bottom three.'

- in other words, zilch - Speth was about to leave, the company in meltdown, dealers knew this and in turn couldn't give a toss, older dealer principals/owners could see it was BL late 70s/early 80s, and MG Rover 2005 all over again, just when, not if - before Xmas/after Xmas.

'Jaguar'(JLR) bottom again - yet smashing it in the SMMT tractor stats:

View attachment 50286
'Jaguar foundered at the bottom of the rankings with a current profitability rating of 2.1'

- odd that, the £80k I-Pace is selling like hotcakes.

Uber-successful, vying with 'Porsche' for top-dog in everything, desire factor, profitabilty, profit margin, most valuable brand in the world etc Land Rover/Range Rover somehow can't even make average for profit out of the franchise for the dealer - fat finger? Or truth/near-truth?

Will the general, non-specialist media report on these bombshell findings, which contradict competely the Ministry of Truth tractor stats for JLR last week, and for the previous ten years and more? Will Ray Massey of Daily Fail, Clarkson of 'where's my f*cking bung?!', Cropley of 'have I got to JLR's colon yet?', drop the habit of a lifetime and do journalism? Watch this space - or watch grass grow.
Well Ray Massey et al may not comment but Raymond Lea of the Times has 😊

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Well Ray Massey et al may not comment but Raymond Lea of the Times has 😊 View attachment 50287
- wow.

Murdoch's rags seem as senile as the owner - The Sun outdoing JLR Weekly/Autoccar with the hagiography of the gimp from Munich one minute, and then The Times putting the boot in the next.

If Bollore is a serious car boss, and not just working his ~£10m/yr for 6-12 months before he knows it goes pop, then he has no decision to make other than shutting down Jag - that's plain.

It's the most basketcase brand in the world - in a different league to FCA's Alfa and Maserati, the former of which has had real investment and products, and Maser is on Wednesday presenting its exciting new sports car.

I-Pace is a joke, and was only a thing to get JLR sold, in late 2018 through to H1 2019.

What else is there? 'J-Pace'? - another refrocked Range Rover, like F-Pace to Velar, but this time just the 7/8 years behind the RRSport, which no one will buy?

The dead 'eXJ'/New XJ/booted I-Pace? - dead - binned late 2018/early 2019

How can it be kept going? The dealers want out anyway - dropping from 'Dual Arch' to Mono Arch.

It has to go the way of 'Daimler', 'Riley', 'Rover', etc.

BUT, the sticking point is Castle Bromwich, How do you end Jaguar without ending CB? And if you end CB, you basically end Modern Britain, the PR construct - the 40 years plus ramming down the throat of all <50 year olds that Britain is Special, Won the War, Defended Democracy, Stood Alone, Stopped Naziism, etc, etc, and at the core of that is May-July 1940, The Battle of Britain, Our Finest Hour, Never was so much owed... , and at the core of that, The Spitfire, and the factory that made the most of them - CB.

Bollore will, may have already, run into the same problem Carl-Peter Forster did a decade ago, when he saw the obvious thing was to close at least one of JLR's plants, with CB the prime candidate.

He gets paid the big bucks, he'll have to work it out.

It might be that to avoid the cataclysm of closing CB, they instead bottle it, and close the pipsqueak affair at Ryton, and move SVO and Classic into CB, to give the pretence of a working operation - a glorified museum.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Oh dear - Spaffer's red wall just got a wrecking ball from Japan/the-eternal-enemy-of-the-English French(Renault)?:

Production of Nissan’s UK flagship vehicle delayed further

- FT, paywalled - see Autocar's report.

- bloody obvious that Nissan has stopped the new Qashqai at Sunderland, as even the slow on the uptake Japs have finally realised that Perfidious Albion lied to them - Cameron, May, Spaffer, Greg Clark etc - about doing a trade deal with the EU, to minimise/have no tariffs with the EU.

Having 10% on the price of a Qashqai exported to Europe, plus the new Juke of course, and similar duty on all those imported from EU components, makes Sunderland unviable.

Just a few months ago, the glee was that Brexit-UK had a massive victory with Nissan closing EU-land Barcelona, and ploughing investment into Brexit-land Sunderland, which made sod all sense, unless you were a terminally gullible, but very honourable Japanese person, who believed every word HM Govt told you.

Now that the Japs realise they're playing with venal, vermin scum/venal, vermin scum-amateurs, they've finally woken up, and basically announced that Sunderland is dead.

Reality is slowly but surely kicking in, for those who thought Spaffer and his backer cabal have anything but contempt for 99% of Britons, who have to work to live.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,359
- wow.

Murdoch's rags seem as senile as the owner - The Sun outdoing JLR Weekly/Autoccar with the hagiography of the gimp from Munich one minute, and then The Times putting the boot in the next.

If Bollore is a serious car boss, and not just working his ~£10m/yr for 6-12 months before he knows it goes pop, then he has no decision to make other than shutting down Jag - that's plain.

It's the most basketcase brand in the world - in a different league to FCA's Alfa and Maserati, the former of which has had real investment and products, and Maser is on Wednesday presenting its exciting new sports car.

I-Pace is a joke, and was only a thing to get JLR sold, in late 2018 through to H1 2019.

What else is there? 'J-Pace'? - another refrocked Range Rover, like F-Pace to Velar, but this time just the 7/8 years behind the RRSport, which no one will buy?

The dead 'eXJ'/New XJ/booted I-Pace? - dead - binned late 2018/early 2019

How can it be kept going? The dealers want out anyway - dropping from 'Dual Arch' to Mono Arch.

It has to go the way of 'Daimler', 'Riley', 'Rover', etc.

BUT, the sticking point is Castle Bromwich, How do you end Jaguar without ending CB? And if you end CB, you basically end Modern Britain, the PR construct - the 40 years plus ramming down the throat of all <50 year olds that Britain is Special, Won the War, Defended Democracy, Stood Alone, Stopped Naziism, etc, etc, and at the core of that is May-July 1940, The Battle of Britain, Our Finest Hour, Never was so much owed... , and at the core of that, The Spitfire, and the factory that made the most of them - CB.

Bollore will, may have already, run into the same problem Carl-Peter Forster did a decade ago, when he saw the obvious thing was to close at least one of JLR's plants, with CB the prime candidate.

He gets paid the big bucks, he'll have to work it out.

It might be that to avoid the cataclysm of closing CB, they instead bottle it, and close the pipsqueak affair at Ryton, and move SVO and Classic into CB, to give the pretence of a working operation - a glorified museum.
I have wondered if the insistence by the government that the U.K., post Brexit, has the right to support industry is a lot to do with bailing out JLR. ❓

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I have wondered if the insistence by the government that the U.K., post Brexit, has the right to support industry is a lot to do with bailing out JLR. ❓
Yes, ...and no.

The Tories are two/three factions.

The headbangers, Adam Smithers, just want The Market, and would see BL II go to the wall - 'the market decides'.

The 'One Nationers'/spivs pocketing public money, have the finest principles money can buy, and happily give tens of £billions to their builder and donor mates - HS2 - to themselves in Corona contracts etc, and would wangle some way to pocket millions out of pumping money into post-Brexit JLR.

The Green Tories, Notting Hill Set, want all industry dead.

Spaffer, the jellyfish, oscillates between all these.

The deal with Nissan was: 'we'll give you loads of public money, if you keep Sunderland open', with I'm sure the publicly announced £80m by Greg Clark just the tip of the iceberg. The Tories had to have a 'Brexit-Red Wall' success to show, with Nissan Sunderland the glaring posterchild.

The Japs have done the sums though, and realised 10% tariiff would need £billions to offset it - up to 500k cars a year exported to the EU, at ~€2k tariff cost each is €1bn, plus the extra cost of importing the components, and the aggregated cost over say the lifetime of the new Qashqai, equals around €10bn to them.

The clowns in Whitehall and Downing Street - Cummings and his 'War Room' etc - have no understanding of business, real business, so thought Nissan could be bought off with hundred of millions, perhaps a billion pounds.

Nissan has plainly reversed the decision it took on its European ops ealrier this year - closing Barcelona, and concentrating on Sunderland, due to tariffs, and the very likely massive delays in getting parts into the country - killing JIT.

So, to answer your question, yes, the on-balance view in the Tories would be to bail out JLR - the new MPs bricking it in the West Mids and the North West - but they haven't a clue how much it will cost, and the fact that even if they give JLR/Tata say £5bn to cover the Brexit cost, the delays due to not being in the Customs Unions will kill it, for any decent, large manufacturing business.

Brexit is not about business, but about The City, and no interference in the City/Crown network of money laundering and tax evasion.

As you say, 'State Aid' has suddenly jumped to the top of the pile, for a party known for being Market zealots, due to this panic that the plebs will see what Brexit was really about, when Nissan pulls the plug, JLR finally falls over, and the North West-concentrated aerospace sector collapses, in the heart of The Red Wall.

2341 - 2360 of 2398 Posts