XF Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 2278 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
The cat is out of the bag:

thoughts:

- ok, it, the eXJ/XJ, appears to exist.

- for a car meant to launch in 2020, why is it just now being seen?

- winter testing at Arjeplog(Lapland/northern Sweden) is drawing to a close, over in a few weeks. Are we to believe that JLR would bring a car, testers, equipment etc there for a fraction of the test season? Surely, a car supposedly in development since 2017/18, now in final, sign-off development for 2020 launch, would have been there all winter.

- was this 'spy shot' session, even with seemingly a shot in the door mirror of a vehicle just happening to be on the road immediately ahead, done to rebut all JLR's woes, from closing more than opening factories, real bombing sales, and no-show of the concept eXJ, and XF facelift, and PHEV Evoque/DSport, etc?

To the car itself:

- it looks nothing like a Jaguar, rather a Saab 9-5 crossed with a Chrysler 300, crossed with a Maserati Quattroporte.

- it also looks way more brutish Bentley than feline Jaguar.

- what's the Callum/Thompson facination with horrendous visibilty, first the I-Pace, now even worse this? Hardly any rear visibilty and '3:1' rear doors - glass portholes to slab door?

Mercedes is about to bring out a polar opposite - greater visibility new S-Class, and similar BEV EQS.

Surely these cars are aimed at Asian non-drivers, sitting in the back, so why the deliberate sensory deprivation chamber? What's wrong with blinds/curtains?

Misjudged. Maserati did the whole small, tapering window thing with the Quattroporte. See how that did outside of the design studio against S-Class and all.

JLR have again misjudged the whole XJ/S-Class thing. They are not drivers' cars.

Porsche understood that the Taycan is a driver's car, and so majored on the front seat, and the similar small windows design, emphasizing sportiness.

Doing another 2009-2019 XJ - perverse for the sake of it - to differentiate from the German, big-selling mainstream, with their high roofs for tall CEOs in the back seat, and lots of light, is madness - repeating the same but expecting a different result.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Probably 'VA69 GUU':

VA69GUU JAGUAR UNKNOWN

Check another vehicle

Colour Black

Fuel type Electric

Date registered 1 February 2020

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

- why bring a brand new car to winter testing, when it's about to end?

I think, this is the eXJ programme being rushed - just as I-Pace was rushed - finished car presented almost fait accompli in late 2016, with intended first deliveries barely a year later, early 2018 at the latest.

I think, JLR/Tata now know there's not a cat in hell's chance - pardon the pun - of selling JLR to any idiot - been there, done that, failed, PSA, BMW, Geely, Apple... , over 12 months or so, so "I-Pace crash-course II' is on deck, a massively rushed, new/next shop-window, to show that (J)LR isn't dead, and a 'new Gamechanger', 'Porsche, Bentley... -killer', which may attract some fool.

That's the plan as of Jan/Feb 2020, I think, but Corona/cancelled No Time to Die has made it all moot anyway.

You don't send a car to winter testing in the last quarter, fifth of the season, for just a couple of weeks, with ambient temps anyway on some days now above freezing. What would you learn, with this 'winter testing' anyway?

It's a photo shoot to show that J and JLR isn't dead.

The car was registered on Feb 1, dispatched to Sweden, takes a few weeks, pops up start of March, as a 'test vehicle', photographed from a car in front of it on the road, but whose occupant/occupants never thought to get a picture of the front with the rear view mirror, thereby showing the front, and the full registration - yeah, right.

Let's not forget that 'eXJ' has been kicking around JLR since 2015, possibly earlier. It was intended to be launched in late 2018/early 2019, to replace the then already ancient 2009- XJ, itself just a reskin of the 2003-2009 car.

Speth and team pulled it because:

a) the I-Pace was a huge disaster - late by almost a year in-market, riddled with fundamental problems, and already showing that it wasn't even denting Tesla's then sales success - supposed to compete with the rubbish Model X, but didn't lay a glove on it

b) Taycan was understood by the competition, JLR of course too, by late 2018, and so JLR knew that launching eXJ then would be impossible, even with the whole media lying their heads off

Scroll on 18 months, and JLR is still without a buyer, and Tata and the UK state desperate to get rid of it, to anyone.

So, they rehash the 2015 born eXJ, back-burnered in late 2018, and scramble to get a car to 'winter testing' in Sweden.

Normal car companies put their new cars through several full seasons, winter and heat, Arjeplog, South Africa, Death Valley, etc.

You don't go from not-seen, to a couple of weeks in Arjeplog, to customer deliveries in 6 months or so - not unless you want a sub-I-Pace.

Porsche, with the world's best engineers, had major problems with Taycan, delaying it to around 5 years programme length; VW similarly with ID.3, and Mercedes has had problems with EQC, and possibly to come with EQS.

It's all in vain anyway, as obviously Cornonavirus, whether real or not, has overtaken everything.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Very, very odd:

- the usual suspects have largely ignored the amazing news of the appearance of the eXJ.

- nothing from Auto Express, Car Magazine, even Pistonheads, nor Car&Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile magazine, AutoEvolution etc.

- yes, InsideEVs had it, but Electrek didn't

- nothing comes up from Google News for it, with a general 'Jaguar Land Rover' search

- nothing on ipaceforums.co.uk even - why isn't 'Chewy' and co all over this? Surely this is their big moment - 'told ya, it exists', etc. Very strange.

- Kuka(robot maker) announced yesterday a big, tens of millions of euro order, for the automated maunfacture of battery packs, for a 'premium carmaker'. If this was JLR, Hams Hall, wouldn't JLR and the usual suspects in the media make a song and dance of it. Again, very strange.

Something is fishy about that car appearing in Sweden yesterday - more than the points I've already made above, and more fishy than usual with anything to do with JLR - JLR and the truth - slippery as a greased piglet.

As I said, why would you send a car for winter testing at the fag end of winter testing - 80-90% of the season over.

It looks more and more like JLR's usual MO - 99% PR, 1% or less is-what-it-looks-like reality.

They needed to show something, with the company in freefall - nothing showing at Geneva/online, IR35s departing en-masse, telling the world what they thought of JLR, TM's share price vying with AML's for a falling stone, and everyone else, even GM(Cadillac/Chevy... ) showing signs of life and doing real engineering.

Most things in life are not coincidence. An eXJ out of the blue, photographed by an 'independent spy snapper', given this background at JLR/Tata, is not a coincidence.

But why the lack of interest, shunning by many of the usual suspects, who would be expected to be all over it, salivating at the 'Bentley/Porsche-killer', or orgasming in Cropley's, Andrew English's and Clarkson's case?

Have they had the memo? 'JLR's gone - forget about it'?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
BEV registrations, Germany, Feb.2020

etron - 591
i3 - 480
Kona - 361
I-Pace - 58
Niro - 67
Soul - 229
EQC - 109
MINI - 52
Leaf - 283
Polestar 1 - 10
Taycan - 195
Zoe - 1,352
Citigo-e - 167
Smart - 694
Model S - 34
Model X - 41
Model 3 - 610
eGolf - 1,475
eUp! - 679
ID.3 - 81

- summary - VAG still killing it - etron, eGolf, Taycan etc. EQC slowly ramping up.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Maybe sending the eXJ to Lappland in March for 'winter testing', cough, PR, wasn't so mad after all. Arjeplog forecast for next week:

https://www.google.com/search?q=arjeplog+weather&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

- bone-chilling -8 daytime, -18 nighttime deg. C in mid-March, with no sign of let up before vernal equinox - official Spring.

If you follow Piers Corbyn, Jeremy's brother's blog, you'll see that the arctic, contrary to the propaganda, lies fed to the little people 24/7 by the BBC, Guardian, Greta's handlers et al, has more ice cover than for 10 years, with temps still diving, even heading into 'warming' Spring

http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=845&c=5

So, very clever of JLR management to see through the propaganda and send cars for winter testing in March, April, possibly May - NOT.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
eXJ a 2016 I-Pace with a rear overhang? Seems so:

- take away that OTT roof spoiler thing and what have you got? A hatchback with a very fast, near horizontal slope:

- but of course, the 'brand new' eXJ is a hatchback - see the camo cut around the opening. I'm sure Callum would have preferred it be called a Fastback.

Firstly, why in god's name would any sane person do a hatchback in the S-Class class?

Callum must have had a thing about hatchbacks/fastbacks, maybe from his early-ish years, the Rover SD1, the Citroen CX, probably.

The last XJ, X351, 2009-2019, obviously looked like it was intended to be one, but Ford high-ups probably overruled it, around 2006/7:

No one in their right mind does a full-size luxury, S-Class segment car with an opening hatchback, for fairly obvious reasons.

Rolls-Royce/BMW even recognised this problem with a hatchback on stilts, aka SUV, by sealing off the Cullinan's passengers from the boot/hatchback opening.

You get obvious draughts and resonant booming with a large rear opening, and of course less structural rigidity.

So why is JLR doing this, with the eXJ, an S-Class competitor obviously?

Because, 'eXJ' is nothing but a long version of the 2015/16 I-Pace.

Look at the pictures above from roughly the same perspective - rear three-quarters.

Remove the silly, OTT roof spolier, as I said, add about a metre of rear overhang, to the 'manx catted' I-Pace, and drop the ride height a few inches, and hey presto, the 'New 2020/21 (e)XJ'.

'New (e)XJ' has been knocking around since 2016 at least. I-Pace was finished in late 2015/early 2016 - presented as a 'concept' in Nov. 2016, remember.

'eXJ' was fully intended to launch in late 2018/early 2019, about a year after the I-Pace, as Autocar itself said, about 2.5 years ago.

It was pulled, when it became clear that I-Pace was so bad the media would not be able to swing an I-Pace-but-30%-worse to the brainwashed public.

Now it's back, the 'new' eXJ, 4 years old effectively.

It's been Lazarused to counter the collapse of JLR, 'J' especially, and to prove that the £billions of public money given to JLR has not been pocketed by Tata, and kickbacks to various UK officials.

Take a look at the eXJ's 'bustle', the box section rear of the hatchback. It's huge, looks like something from 10, 20 years ago, but is just a slightly toned down carry over from the same feature on the I-Pace - its huge, square, deep rear section.

'eXJ' in the picture above is basically a 3-metre wheelbase(same as I-Pace's), SWB version, with an ever faster rear windscreen/tailgate, and about an extra metre of rear overhang, which allows the siting of the rear seat further back, and keeping a similar to I-Pace boot size, giving a car of around 5.1 metres length.

The front side window is the same, partitioned for the extra length, caused by the fast rake of the windscreen, its base pulled forward.

The rising rear side window is similar, giving that 'modern Jaguar'/Callum tiny greenhouse, 'sporty' feeling - sensory deprivation capsule.

As I said, this is ok-ish in a 'sporty', lower class vehicle, where 90% of the time it's just the driver/driver and front passenger.

It's not acceptable in a 'F-segment' luxury car, where the proportion is reversed - 90% of journeys are for the rear occupant/rear occupants - chauffeur/livery service.

Who wants to be chauffeured in a car where the rear is opened to put in and take out luggage, with freezing cold/roasting air, noise and pollution coming in?

Who wants to be 'cocooned' in a 'sporty' luxury car, where it's coal scuttle dark inside, due to minimal glass?

Who wants to be in an opulent luxury car where the whole point is major rear accommodation, but the 'sporty' rear roof line impinges on headroom and the whole perception of space?

FFS.

Callum did another indulgence - his 2015 Citroen CX, from his student days - all those age cohort designers worshipped at the altar of Citroen, from the Traction Avant onwards.

When Jaguar needed an S-Class-killer, they got the 2009 XJ with a non-opening hatchback, huge ungainly bustle, and sod all real room for rear occupants, especially headroom.

2020/21- 'New XJ' is the same recipe, except even bigger, more ungainly, and now a real hatchback, just when the market is moving to even larger greenhouses - amount of glass - higher rooflines, for the intended purpose of rear occupancy, and taller and taller Asians.

Because Speth was a clown, just in it for the money, he didn't put a stop to this obvious nonsense - Callum indulging himself.

A CEO, leader would have spotted this immediately, and stopped it, or sacked Callum if he wouldn't comply.

'New (e)XJ', which we saw last week in Sweden, is just the 2018/19-launching, finished in 2016/17, 'I-Pace with a boot' car switched back on, and presented to the 'spy' cameras to show that something's going on at JLR.

A 5 year old car, when, if it appears in late 2020/2021, against EQS, Lucid Air and co.

Not even funny.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
eXJ a 2016 I-Pace with a rear overhang? Seems so:

- take away that OTT roof spoiler thing and what have you got? A hatchback with a very fast, near horizontal slope:

(...)

Take a look at the eXJ's 'bustle', the box section rear of the hatchback. It's huge, looks like something from 10, 20 years ago, but is just a slightly toned down carry over from the same feature on the I-Pace - its huge, square, deep rear section.

'eXJ' in the picture above is basically a 3-metre wheelbase(same as I-Pace's), SWB version, with an ever faster rear windscreen/tailgate, and about an extra metre of rear overhang, which allows the siting of the rear seat further back, and keeping a similar to I-Pace boot size, giving a car of around 5.1 metres length.

The front side window is the same, partitioned for the extra length, caused by the fast rake of the windscreen, its base pulled forward.

The rising rear side window is similar, giving that 'modern Jaguar'/Callum tiny greenhouse, 'sporty' feeling - sensory deprivation capsule.
Though I can see your point, I'm not sure, they are very alike. The windows are different, the "hip line" under the windows is different. There is no small triangular window in the front door. This hints at a different mechanism in the door. The same with the charging flap, which is placed differently. Again hinting at different technology under the skin. It doesn't say anything certain, but if the charging flap and things like that are the same on two cars, it hints at the construction being the same.

Another question: This is a different car than the one we saw on a trailer a few weeks ago, isn't it? That one had a higher panel under the doors making room for the battery. This "eXJ" looks a lot like a petrol car, doesn't it?

Strange coincidence with the VW ID.4 driving against the Jaguar.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Though I can see your point, I'm not sure, they are very alike. The windows are different, the "hip line" under the windows is different. There is no small triangular window in the front door. This hints at a different mechanism in the door. The same with the charging flap, which is placed differently. Again hinting at different technology under the skin. It doesn't say anything certain, but if the charging flap and things like that are the same on two cars, it hints at the construction being the same.

Another question: This is a different car than the one we saw on a trailer a few weeks ago, isn't it? That one had a higher panel under the doors making room for the battery. This "eXJ" looks a lot like a petrol car, doesn't it?

Strange coincidence with the VW ID.4 driving against the Jaguar.
- this is the largest/highest resolution picture I could find, on Car magazine, 'spy shots':

https://car-images.bauersecure.com/pagefiles/86647/1752x1168/00_jaguar_xj_electric_ev.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

- if that link doesn't work, just go to carmagazine.co.uk, and Spyshots section.

I think I can see a 'quarter-light' on the front side window, like on the I-Pace.

The 'hip line' isn't really a 'hard point', like a firewall/scuttle, and its height to windscreen base, distance to front axle line, etc.

As to the fuel flap, the I-Pace itself was just of course an XJ/Range Rover platform, made to look bespoke, and lied about by the media, who told idiots it was EV-unique, when it was just the the above, ancient platfrom, going back to the X350 2003 XJ, with its rear overhang lopped off, and the front windscreen base moved forward, and so of course this is where the fuel flap is, on this ICE platform, in other words:

ICE begat 'bespoke EV'(I-Pace), and its sibling eXJ, which shows its original ICE features.

The I-Pace charging flap is not where this, eXJ's, is by the way, it's on the front wing, LHS.

Yes it's a different car, of course. It's the final car, not a mule. But this car is now around 4 years old.

Why does it look like 'a petrol car(ICE)'? The fuel flap is throwing you. I've explained that above - the I-Pace being a lied about bespoke EV thing.

Also, what is 'ICE', and what is 'BEV'? BMW, for one, is not doing a bespoke EV platform/car - maybe it got burned by the whole i3 thing? Whatever.

Its BEVs will be the same as the new 4-Series 'ICE', current X3, etc. 'iNext' is the nearest it gets to bespoke EV, although that SUV/crossover still rides on the latest common 'CLAR' platform, I think.

BMW planned it that way, designing new platforms that can accommodate ICE/PHEV and full BEV.

JLR may turn around and say, 'so did we, but we did it first, and much earlier than BMW'.

No they didn't. They and the media cynically, fraudulently lied about 'the bespoke EV I-Pace', which is a massively wide car - riding on an XJ/fullfat RR platform, with a cramped interior, due to the compromise of using this old, much larger ICE platform.

All they've down with eXJ in comparison to I-Pace, which makes it look more normal, 'a petrol car/car', is the much reduced ride height, almost scraping across the snow.

Instead of up to 8-9" clearance, and the suspension jacked up, the eXJ here is probably on its lowest air suspension setting, and possibly fulled loaded -say around 500kg - so it looks like a low, normal car.

But, I think if you look closely, just at the trailing edge of the sill, about 4 o'clock position across from the rear tyre, you can see a light coloured shape, which may be part of the battery pack frame, extending down from sill height by about 2 to 3 inches, I'd say.

The problem with putting the I-Pace's battery pack into a car like the eXJ is that you would have to have thick sills, or have the seats and footwheels raised up, or have the battery pack exposed, riding low, with the obvious problems that would entail.

GM has just shown 'Ultium' battery pack, which is much slimmer, than JLR's 'skateboard', so gets round most or all of this problem.

Are you sure that white car in the background is an ID.4?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
- this is the largest/highest resolution picture I could find, on Car magazine, 'spy shots':

https://car-images.bauersecure.com/pagefiles/86647/1752x1168/00_jaguar_xj_electric_ev.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

- if that link doesn't work, just go to carmagazine.co.uk, and Spyshots section.

I think I can see a 'quarter-light' on the front side window, like on the I-Pace.

The 'hip line' isn't really a 'hard point', like a firewall/scuttle, and its height to windscreen base, distance to front axle line, etc.

As to the fuel flap, the I-Pace itself was just of course an XJ/Range Rover platform, made to look bespoke, and lied about by the media, who told idiots it was EV-unique, when it was just the the above, ancient platfrom, going back to the X350 2003 XJ, with its rear overhang lopped off, and the front windscreen base moved forward, and so of course this is where the fuel flap is, on this ICE platform, in other words:

ICE begat 'bespoke EV'(I-Pace), and its sibling eXJ, which shows its original ICE features.

The I-Pace charging flap is not where this, eXJ's, is by the way, it's on the front wing, LHS.

Yes it's a different car, of course. It's the final car, not a mule. But this car is now around 4 years old.

Why does it look like 'a petrol car(ICE)'? The fuel flap is throwing you. I've explained that above - the I-Pace being a lied about bespoke EV thing.

Also, what is 'ICE', and what is 'BEV'? BMW, for one, is not doing a bespoke EV platform/car - maybe it got burned by the whole i3 thing? Whatever.

Its BEVs will be the same as the new 4-Series 'ICE', current X3, etc. 'iNext' is the nearest it gets to bespoke EV, although that SUV/crossover still rides on the latest common 'CLAR' platform, I think.

BMW planned it that way, designing new platforms that can accommodate ICE/PHEV and full BEV.

JLR may turn around and say, 'so did we, but we did it first, and much earlier than BMW'.

No they didn't. They and the media cynically, fraudulently lied about 'the bespoke EV I-Pace', which is a massively wide car - riding on an XJ/fullfat RR platform, with a cramped interior, due to the compromise of using this old, much larger ICE platform.

All they've down with eXJ in comparison to I-Pace, which makes it look more normal, 'a petrol car/car', is the much reduced ride height, almost scraping across the snow.

Instead of up to 8-9" clearance, and the suspension jacked up, the eXJ here is probably on its lowest air suspension setting, and possibly fulled loaded -say around 500kg - so it looks like a low, normal car.

But, I think if you look closely, just at the trailing edge of the sill, about 4 o'clock position across from the rear tyre, you can see a light coloured shape, which may be part of the battery pack frame, extending down from sill height by about 2 to 3 inches, I'd say.

The problem with putting the I-Pace's battery pack into a car like the eXJ is that you would have to have thick sills, or have the seats and footwheels raised up, or have the battery pack exposed, riding low, with the obvious problems that would entail.

GM has just shown 'Ultium' battery pack, which is much slimmer, than JLR's 'skateboard', so gets round most or all of this problem.

Are you sure that white car in the background is an ID.4?
You are right. On the larger resolution picture, there seems to be a front quarter light. You can also see the rear quarter light, which I did suspect from the lower resolution picture. The same goes for the door handles, which seems to be the same as on the I-Pace and several other newer JLR cars. You are also right about the battery pack protruding under the sill. If I enlarge the photo, I can see it quite clearly. A silvery gray/aluminium boxy thing, that looks a lot like a battery pack. The low sill is one of the reasons, I described it as an ICE car to look at. It also has a long bonnet. When we saw the other camouflaged prototype on a trailer a few weeks ago, it had very high sills. Some commenters used that as proof, that it was a BEV.

Since I was able to pre-book a VW ID.3 last weekend, I have been reading about VW and their EV's. That made me make a quick guess and call the oncoming car an ID.4. When I saw it on the photo, I immediately thought it looked a lot like a VW MEB vehicle with the low front and the shape of the headlights. I seems to have a blanked out round logo in the middle of the grill. The wheel openings are round with a black plastic edges. Typical, but not unique, to VW cars. But now I have searched the Internet for photos of VW ID.4 and other prototypes. I must admit, it doesn't look exactly like the photos of the ID.4 prototypes, I can find. VW has even disguised the ID.4 as an Opel. Perhaps this is someone else making their car lok like a VW.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
VW has even disguised the ID.4 as an Opel. Perhaps this is someone else making their car lok like a VW.
- probably an 'Opel' - badge-engineered PSA thing.

Here's another tasty thing - the 'EQE':

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2022-mercedes-benz-eqe-14.jpg

- looks about half the size of that behemoth 'eXJ' - I-Pace with huge rear overhang and ride height drop - but will probably have as much usable interior space - as it's a genuine bespoke EV platform - the EQS's little brother.

This and the EQS will have Cds around 0.20, allowing genuine 300 miles range at decent autobahn speeds.

Too bad that whatever, whomever is behind this Coronathing has spannered the whole works of this about to be real start of the EV thing - 5 years or so of billions and billions of euros, and millions of the most expensive man-hours, all for naught, just when the Germans were about to crush Mad Musk and everyone else. Hmm.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts

Here's another tasty thing - the 'EQE':

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/2022-mercedes-benz-eqe-14.jpg

- looks about half the size of that behemoth 'eXJ' - I-Pace with huge rear overhang and ride height drop - but will probably have as much usable interior space - as it's a genuine bespoke EV platform - the EQS's little brother.

This and the EQS will have Cds around 0.20, allowing genuine 300 miles range at decent autobahn speeds.

Too bad that whatever, whomever is behind this Coronathing has spannered the whole works of this about to be real start of the EV thing - 5 years or so of billions and billions of euros, and millions of the most expensive man-hours, all for naught, just when the Germans were about to crush Mad Musk and everyone else. Hmm.
You are probably right, that it is a PSA car, the white one. When I first saw it, something in me recognized it as a VW. You know, how you can per reflex see, which brand a car comes from, even if it's a prototype or a new model, you've never seen before. When you see a Polestar, you immediately think: "Volvo". So when I saw this white car, after seeing photos of VW prototypes and EV's, I was thinking:"Volkswagen". But I can see, when I put a photo of an ID.4 next to it, it doesn't look much like an ID.4.

I'm really looking forward to EV's, that are not SUV style cars, but more normal saloons. There aren't a lot of those. The new EQ cars from Mercedes look really good. By "look" I'm not just thinking of their looks, but also the technology underneath. While the EQC or the EQS (if I win the lottery) would be a great car for me, the EQA and EQB are just perfect for my wife. She loves Mercedes and prefers SUV's, but she wouldn't want a very big car. Perhaps we should buy one of those for my wife, when they become available. And I'll have my ID.3, which I'll hopefully get in a few months. And I almost forgot, I've also paid a deposit for a Sion by Sono Motors just to support the project. An awful lot of EV's we'll end up having ;-)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You were right. I think I did actually find the white car. There are some photos in Motor Authority from August 2019, where they say, it's the 2020 Opel Insignia Sports Tourer:

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1119274_2020-opel-insignia-sports-tourer-spy-shots-video

You are aware, I hope, that it's not always easy to be a foreigner around here. You have been writing about this Coronathing, which I didn't understand. I tried to look up coronathing in my English-Danish dictionary, but it didn't exist. I tried coronathe, but no luck. I mean, to be coronathing, you must be able to coronathe. Then it struck me. You mean corona-thing of course. I have never understood, why some words are put together in English, while others aren't. You say roof rack and door knob. Both are two separate words. But then you have words like headlights and windscreen, where you put the two words together in one. In Danish like in German, we always put the words together into one word. Something Americans often find funny. I once saw someone post a photo of a Germans shop called Fussbodenschleifmaschinenverleih. They simply can't understand how a word can be that long.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
You are aware, I hope, that it's not always easy to be a foreigner around here. You have been writing about this Coronathing, which I didn't understand. I tried to look up coronathing in my English-Danish dictionary, but it didn't exist.
- sorry. English is a magpie language - takes bits from everywhere.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/jaguar-xj-ev-spy-photo-1583776284.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.754xh;0,0.127xh&resize=640:*

'VA69GUW' - batch registered Feb 1.

It's another classic Callum design - massive on the outside, no room inside, like X351 2009-2019 XJ, I-Pace.

For a supposed 'bespoke EV', why has it got such a long, ICE-like bonnet?

Because this and the I-Pace are from the 2003 XJ platform, you end up with large/v.large cars that offer barely Golf/Passat internal space.

The EQS, the eXJ's directest rival, has a huge cabin and relatively short front and rear overhangs:

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
18 months in with the reality of The Gamechanger, there are amazingly still idiots to be had. Do they live under a stone, or swear the mass media is the gospel truth, and therefore should be self-isolated in a lunatic asylum?

Picked up my iPace on Friday and absolutely love it but..........

My drive to work is 18 miles. It's about 14 miles of motorway. When I set off the range was 170 miles, when I pulled up it was 140. So for a 18 mile journey I've used 30 miles of range.

Any ideas why this would be?
https://ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3384

- yeah, two offhand:

1. JLR, UK.gov and the whole media conspired to defraud simpleton gullible idiots like you, by stating the the I-Pace's range was 300 miles

2. look in the rear view mirror - it'll say GUM on your forehead.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
The middle ground is the killing ground - John Lewis, Waitrose, M&S, Sainsbury's... , falling to Aldi/Lidl, Primark, while the .01% shop at Fortnum&Mason.

£40-100k cars is the killing ground. You either sell £20-30k Golfs, ID.3s etc, or £150k 'best or nothing' Taycans and 911 GT3s, or £1m+ 'specials'.

"Starting Thursday 12 March (2020), those making the switch to electric cars will be eligible for a grant of up to £3,000. As the uptake of zero-emission cars increases, a small reduction to the grant, as well as excluding cars costing £50,000 or more
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/plug ... ays-budget

Gameover on stilts for The Gamechanger, and its nascent £100-150k 'eXJ' - I-Pace with a rear overhang.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
...but perfectly suited to £40,000-49,999 EVs, now VED £0, like the coming this year Polestar 2, and highest spec ID.3s.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
'Next Generation Infotainment' - brought to you by thirty-, fortysomething men-children - IT is overwhelmingly male - who never grew up, Star Trek, Sci-Fi fans, whose basic verbal reasoning is sub what it would have taken to get a pass in the Eleven-Plus in the 1970s:

UPDATE: A concern has now been identified with NGI software ‘S20A_20.07.5-507626’ which effects some areas of USB external media compatibility,
https://ipaceforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3381

- this stuff, like affect/effect, was basic verbal reasoning for primary school kids up until the 1970s, even the ones who then went to Secondary Moderns/Comps, having failed their Eleven-Plus.

Now, in the 'progressive', 'advanced' 2020s, it's beyond no doubt £50-100k+ IT 'consultants', possibly up to £1k/'per diem' external consultants, hired in by JLR from TCS and suchlike, and technical literature 'consultants'.

We were sold a pup back in the 1970s, early 80s, that all that stuff was old-hat, learning by rote, having to understand the basics of the language we spoke, with up to 50% of clowns, idiots, retards and slackers labelled conveniently as 'Special Needs' or the catch-all 'Dyslexic'.

No wonder the convenient Coronavirus came along, to wipe out these useless, 'educated' idiots, with alphabets of 'qualifications' after their names, a mushroomed industry of 'consultants', 'advisers', 'specialists', 'professors' etc, many, most of whom would be considered semi-illiterate and functionally useless just two generations ago.

So convenient to have The Virus, to wipe out the millions of educated idiots, who no longer could be supported post the 40 year long Phony Economy.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The I-Pace actually did better than the Mercedes EQC and not much worse than the Audi E-Tron 55, the two cars closest to the I-Pace in price, size etc. The range of the I-Pace is significantly lower than the WLTP range, but not more than a lot of the other EV's. So you can't say, Jaguar has been lying about the range more than most of the other EV manufacturers. There are of course other EV's, that are very close to their WLTP range, but the I-Pace does not stand out as much worse than all the others.

2201 - 2220 of 2278 Posts