XF Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

new to the forum,

i've been hankering after a jag for a fairly long time, and i love the x260 shape, however before i splurge 20+k on one i need to know what i should look for and what i should be wary of.

i am expecting some hefty repair bills during my ownership however i would like to mitigate these as much as possible.

i'm looking at getting either the v6 s petrol, or the 300 sport petrol, it seems the petrol versions of the XF demand considerable more money than their diesel brethren.

i've heard stories of the v6 water pump failure and the plastic spaghetti round the back of the engine leaking and i'll prepare for that, all cars seem to have similar issues these days due to the copious amount of plastic used.

regarding the 300hp ingenium though not much has been said what i should be looking for, is there anything?

also i've read horror stories of the ecus frying due to water ingress, but it doesnt seem to be talked about too much, is this something to worry about? i'll only be doing around 4k miles a year in it and it will be sat on my drive for the time i'm not driving it, giving plenty of opportunity for this to happen, is there a fix for this issue or is it a rare occurrence?

is there anything else i need to be wary of?

am i best off sticking to jaguar dealers rather than independent dealers? jag dont seem to have much choice of used cars in petrol and most are the low spec models, all the choice seems to be at independent dealers, I'm guessing this is because Jag aren't really selling anything new anymore so they aren't getting repeat business I'm not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reading up on the ingenium engine it appears to have an electronic controlled oil pump and piston cooling jets, to me this seems like it's likely to fail at some point and will cost a fortune to repair, so seems I may be better off going for the by for reliability. Though I know even they have their faults.

I currently do around 4-6k miles a year, and always service my car every 6 months regardless, this has meant my current at has been rather reliable in terms of the engine. (The suspension however has been a nightmare constantly knocking out bushes and ball joints on the front common on the b7)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure the batteries are reasonably new. If the car thinks they are on the way out it can flag up many errors, which can all be fixed by fitting a new battery, the big one. YThe batteries can pass a test that they are delivering 12volts+, but the car wants 12.7volts otherwise it decides that the battery is failing. Costs around £180-£200 to replace. Maybe get the seller to replace it anyway?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts